Post Reply

[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.2 Stable for Nook Color

27th April 2014, 03:30 AM   |  #21  
EMMC type
I also checked the EMMC type for the two devices. I had recalled they had different hardware.

The device where 10.2.1 installs has a SEM08G emmc and the one where the install fails has a M8G2FA emmc. Is this possibly the issue?
The Following User Says Thank You to polymath257 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2014, 05:14 AM   |  #22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,380
 
582 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Kernel security patch (and boot failure fix?)
A security bug in the core kernel (CVE-2014-0196) allows users to overflow a buffer via exploiting a race condition in the tty code, allowing privilege escalation (root) by a local attacker.

The attached kernel (source: https://github.com/steven676/ti-omap...ee/cm-10.2.1p2) contains a patch for this bug. Proof-of-concept code exploiting this vulnerability has been public since last week, so it's recommended that you upgrade as soon as possible.

I've also taken the opportunity to land what might be a fix for the reported boot failures on 10.2.1. Please try this kernel and report back if you have a device that freezes while booting 10.2.1.

CM10.1.3 users: you can use this kernel, but it'll break wifi unless you also rebuild the wireless driver modules -- use the kernel posted on the CM10.1 thread instead. CM11 nightly users: upgrade to a nightly from May 14 or later to get this fix. See my post on the dev thread for more information.

Hashes for the attached kernel zip:

Code:
MD5: 0069a877acecc182b0964bc470fb9f67
SHA1: 7aaec9ddff2c954b389bcea938fc7c8197463c67
SHA256: c0b89783f6d17ad9092b2176e5722423b12bc113d902167c1b536f4a206380bb
Last edited by steven676; 13th May 2014 at 05:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2014, 05:18 AM   |  #23  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,380
 
582 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymath257

I also checked the EMMC type for the two devices. I had recalled they had different hardware.

The device where 10.2.1 installs has a SEM08G emmc and the one where the install fails has a M8G2FA emmc. Is this possibly the issue?

That prompted me to check a Nook Color with M8G2FA eMMC (kindly provided by pastordl), and well, what do you know, it doesn't boot. (It's also OMAP3630 ES1.2 and ft5x06 touchscreen, manufacture date September 20, 2011.) The kernel update I just posted above does, though -- hopefully that solves your problem too?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2014, 12:40 PM   |  #24  
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven676

That prompted me to check a Nook Color with M8G2FA eMMC (kindly provided by pastordl), and well, what do you know, it doesn't boot. (It's also OMAP3630 ES1.2 and ft5x06 touchscreen, manufacture date September 20, 2011.) The kernel update I just posted above does, though -- hopefully that solves your problem too?

Yes, it does! CM-10.2.1 on the M8G2FA boots with the new kernel!
6th June 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #25  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,380
 
582 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More kernel security bug patches!
Two security bugs in the core kernel (CVE-2014-2851 and CVE-2014-3153) allow local attackers to gain elevated privileges (root) through exploiting ping sockets and futexes, respectively. (See my post on the dev thread for more details.)

The attached kernel (source: https://github.com/steven676/ti-omap...ee/cm-10.2.1p3) contains patches for these bugs. I do not know of public exploit code for these bugs, but with their wide publicity, exploits are certain to exist soon (if they don't already), so it's recommended that you upgrade as soon as possible.

CM10.1.3 users: you can use this kernel, but it'll break wifi unless you also rebuild the wireless driver modules -- use the kernel posted on the CM10.1 thread instead. CM11 nightly users: upgrade to a nightly from June 6 or later to get this fix.

Hashes for the attached kernel zip:

Code:
MD5: c83fb1fbc765e6e43c52947cf54eb0ea
SHA1: 97a2c02fc4b1b5da5c34275107cb7e6771af654c
SHA256: 71e97199b74968a75d4d9c1c5b0efb34ef9f1a2505831071d6a89418c12a4a42
Last edited by steven676; 6th June 2014 at 06:31 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th July 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #26  
Junior Member
Omaha
Thanks Meter: 2
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
Today I was throwing on CM10.2 for a friend's Nook Color.
I kept getting a blank screen on boot, your patch instantly fixed it!
Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven676

A security bug in the core kernel (CVE-2014-0196) allows users to overflow a buffer via exploiting a race condition in the tty code, allowing privilege escalation (root) by a local attacker.

The attached kernel (source: https://github.com/steven676/ti-omap...ee/cm-10.2.1p2) contains a patch for this bug. Proof-of-concept code exploiting this vulnerability has been public since last week, so it's recommended that you upgrade as soon as possible.

I've also taken the opportunity to land what might be a fix for the reported boot failures on 10.2.1. Please try this kernel and report back if you have a device that freezes while booting 10.2.1.

CM10.1.3 users: you can use this kernel, but it'll break wifi unless you also rebuild the wireless driver modules -- use the kernel posted on the CM10.1 thread instead. CM11 nightly users: upgrade to a nightly from May 14 or later to get this fix. See my post on the dev thread for more information.


Hashes for the attached kernel zip:

Code:
MD5: 0069a877acecc182b0964bc470fb9f67
SHA1: 7aaec9ddff2c954b389bcea938fc7c8197463c67
SHA256: c0b89783f6d17ad9092b2176e5722423b12bc113d902167c1b536f4a206380bb

28th July 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #27  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
95 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
one issue, I used APG to generate TabletUI for this ROM. However, it failed. Can anybody upload the tabletUI pactch for this ROM?

Thanks,

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes