Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,458 Members 47,635 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

QuickCharge 2.0

Tip us?

Einride
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4LKyR View Post
So, let's go find a charger with 9V DC and 2 A output... and connect it to Sony Xperia Z2! Do you think that'll work good?
Of course not, and I've never claimed that either. If you have a QC 2.0 capable charger AND device, it can apparently charge at higher voltages, because both devices support it!. Nowhere did I state that the Z2 would be fine being hooked up to a 9V/2A "dumb" charger.
Lay down your soul to the Gods rock n roll!

rpcherrera
Old
(Last edited by rpcherrera; 3rd July 2014 at 01:48 PM.) Reason: more info
Thanks Meter 10
The OPPO Find 7/7a is already using this, although its called VOOC charging.

The charger is rated 5V == 4.5A

more about VOOC Charging

V4LKyR
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einride View Post
Of course not, and I've never claimed that either. If you have a QC 2.0 capable charger AND device, it can apparently charge at higher voltages, because both devices support it!. Nowhere did I state that the Z2 would be fine being hooked up to a 9V/2A "dumb" charger.
What is a "QC 2.0 capable charger" ? As I've seen that charger on that Japanese site, it supports 5V, 9V and 12V. Doesn't mean that the charger transfers power on all these voltage levels, right? It selects one of them. So I'm saying, we can select the 9V 2A and go try it. Or 12V 1.25A.

Einride
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
From the datasheet for that ChiPhy 100 IC, https://www.powerint.com/sites/defau...datasheet.pdf:

Quote:
With D+ and D- short-circuited the normal handshake between the AC-DC adapter (DCP) and powered devices (PD) as described in the USB Battery Charging Specification 1.2 can commence. After switch N5 has been turned on CHY100 starts monitoring the voltage level at D+. If it continuously stays above VDAT(REF) (typ. 0.325 V) and below VSEL(REF) (typ. 2 V) for at least 1.25 seconds CHY100 will enter Quick Charge 2.0 operation mode. If the voltage at D+ drops any time below 0.325 V CHY100 resets the 1.25 seconds timer and stays in USB Battery Charging Specification 1.2 compatibility mode with a default output voltage of 5 V
There's also an "output voltage lookup table" being used to select the voltage used, based on what the device asks for (see table 1 in the data sheet):

Code:
D+	D-	Output		Switch Status
0.6V	0.6V	12V		N1 = N2 = On, N3 = Off
3.3V	0.6V	9V		N1 = On, N2 = N3 = Off
3.3V	3.3V	20V		N1 = N2 = N3 = On
0.6V	GND	5V (default)	N1 = N2 = N3 = Off

I heard about the Oppo Find 7's new charging tech, nice to see some more detailed information on it. VOOC seems to use what is essentially several battery cells and a battery pack with 8 contact points (not really any issue if it's an internal battery pack). It also requires a 7-pin USB cable it seems. Pretty clever, but requiring special USB cables is a bit of a downer. I'd rather have standardized cables and specialized chargers, but maybe that's just me
Lay down your soul to the Gods rock n roll!

Zebra-Snow
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
Dude, that's a 1.8a charger from what I read on the translated page. You wanna talk about fast charging, pick up an Oppo Find 7 with VOOC... 4.2a and it uses it!
Brilliant idea , lets make that happen

jameswood24
Old
(Last edited by jameswood24; 28th July 2014 at 10:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra-Snow View Post
Brilliant idea , lets make that happen
Nice, its a DoCoMo charger, and only 2,376 Yen ($23.76) here in Japan..Will have to see if I can get one at the DoCoMo shop....