Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,962 Members 51,013 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q][Info] Where does one start for Boot-Loader Unlocking?

Tip us?

ma777
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q][Info] Where does one start for Boot-Loader Unlocking?

I know I shouldn't be posting here because I'm not a dev, but I'm trying to be. I figured this is the best place to ask.

So I picked up a USC galaxy s3 for $20. I fix phones so I figured I'd just use it as parts. USC has left from my area. So the phone is basically useless. I'm on a gsm carrier now so I don't want to flash it.I figured why don't I mess around with it and use it as a learning experience. I want to unlock the boot loader and gsm. I don't care if I brick the phone. This is my test dummy for better understanding android and EFS.

What I have tried so far:
Bricked the phone trying to flash vzw vralec boot loader.
Recovered the phone using a recovery sd
I got a stock Verizon rom running on the phone and hoped I would be able to update through that.
Flashed a sprint radio and a *2 connected to sprint
Tried using casual and EZ1.4 to unlock bootloader.

I realize now this was all a waste of time.

Aboot.mbn is the boot loader right? When the bricked phone connects as QH-Load that is when the device connects as the boot-loader? Iíve bootloader unlocked my CDMA xperia R800x play before using se-tool. Can you do this on the R-530U when using SGTool? Where do you start with unlocking the bootloader? How did the guy who developed casual figure it out? How do you bypass these checks? Can someone explain in-depth the security checks that are in place. If I manage to unlock my boot loader would I then be able to install a different one like of a sprint or verizon device? I have CDMA workshop and se-lg fusion box.
Iíve seen this guide:
ďIf you root it then upgrade to AOKP 4.1.2 custom ROM or any other custom or stock style ROM thats 4.1.X (Jelly Bean), then there is a REALLY easy trick. I know it's harder for US Cellular only because they are still using 4.04 ICS which doesn't support the menu you need to do this, you need JB for this trick, if you have it stock like on T-mobile then no rooting or upgrading needed, but US Cellular it is. I used it to unlock my tmobile, and my friend and mom both have us cellular. After you Unlock it you can always go back to stock if you want, just make sure and after you root but before you upgrade the ROM you do a nandroid backup to go back to. After you have a Jelly Bean ROM installed,
1. Type *#197328640# and it brings up the factory service menu (very usefull)
2. Select (1) UMTS
3. Select (1)Debug Screen
4. Select (8) Phone Control
5. Select (6)Network lock
6. Inside the Network lock menu, Pick option (3) Perso SHA256 off, Passed that is a screen that says something like "no options in this menu, current command is 11863", Wait for 30-60 secs, from there hit the menu button on bottom left of phone to bring up options, Select "Back".
7. The last command should have brought you back into the Network Lock menu, at the bottom is (4) NW Lock NV Data Initialize, Select it. You might be asked a saftey are you sure, some people not, after it begins that process wait a good 60 sec the reboot. Thats it! Phones Unlocked

It would be good for you to root and upgade a custom JB 4.1.x or higher ROM anyways as they have support and menu options for working on all CDMA/GSM/LTE Networks. Even if you unlock your phone using the IMEI number and paying 20$ for the unlock code, you will still need JB. They also have apps on the play store specifically for galaxy s3's, capable of unlocking for allot cheaper if your phones rooted.
Good Luck!Ē

But it doesnít have the options for USC. Hereís my plan: Bootloader->Flash Sprint Bootloader->Flash Sprint ROM/Radio-> Follow above steps for GSM Unlock
Am I out of my mind or is this possible? Again I donít care if I brick the phone. Iím using this as a hands-on learning experience instead of just reading things and not understanding them. Essentially an i535, R530, and L710 are the exact same physical device, just running different firmware?
The Following User Says Thank You to ma777 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bradley129
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 63
I don't think your gs3 has a locked bootloader plus a CDMA phone cannot become gsm.

Sent From My Smoking Hot Galaxy SIII

crazymonkey05
Old
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Haha I used to be a r800x user too!!!!

Sent from my ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII using TapaTalk
If i helped hit the thanks button.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-I747)

ROM: Stock Touchwiz Rom

Kernel: Stock 3.0.31-2024954

Previous Devices: Motorola Droid 1, Pantech Crossover, Motorola Droid X, LG Revolution, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (r800x)
The Following User Says Thank You to crazymonkey05 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ekkoria
Old
Thanks Meter 4
The S3 is a global phone so it does have the hardware for GSM networks, you need a SIM card for that network though obviously.

rchrdcrg
Old
(Last edited by rchrdcrg; 28th July 2014 at 12:42 AM.) Reason: derp!
Thanks Meter 24
Ignore me... I'm apparently a blithering idiot who can't read ^_^

krycus21
Old
Thanks Meter 3
The Verizon S3 is able to use GSM, But you will only have Edge (Go to mobile network settings and change it to global). Another downfall is if you upgrade OTA you will have a locked bootloader.