Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PSA] Hackability

Tip us?

r3pwn
Old
(Last edited by r3pwn; 22nd June 2014 at 03:16 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 954
Default [PSA] Hackability

This is just a public service announcement regarding the Amazon Fire Phone's potential hackability based on Amazon's history.

Will it get root?
Most likely. Everything gets root eventually.

Will it get GApps?
Amazon did one hell of a job preventing people from getting GApps on the Kindle Fire HDXs by squeezing down the partition sizes and adding functions in system apps to keep Google apps from functioning properly. So maybe yes, maybe no.

Will it get a bootloader unlock?
Based on Amazon's not so good history of allowing the customization of devices, this may never get a bootloader unlock. They do a pretty good job at locking everything down, I must add.

So, in case you were too lazy to read the above, if you plan on bootloader unlocking this thing and installing the Google Play Store or CyanogenMod fresh out of the box, I would recommend searching elsewhere. The HTC One M8, perhaps, which has slightly better specs anyways.

Need help?
Hit me up on Twitter or Google+ or, you know, just send me a PM.

Like what I do?
Send me your Bitcoins. 1EQMaazk3DmBvSFJmWXzhFWbMiZ3SpUj5Z
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r3pwn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wilzard
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3pwn View Post
This is just a public service announcement regarding the Amazon Fire Phone's hackability.

Will it get root?

Will it get GApps?
Amazon did one hell of a job preventing people from getting GApps on the Kindle Fire HDXs by squeezing down the partition sizes and adding functions in system apps to keep Google apps from functioning properly. So maybe yes, maybe not.

Based on Amazon's not so good history of allowing the customization of devices, this may never get a bootloader unlock. They do a pretty good job at locking everything down, I must add.

So, in case you were too lazy to read the above, if you plan on bootloader unlocking this thing and installing the Google Play Store or CyanogenMod fresh out of the box, I would search elsewhere. The HTC One M8, perhaps, which has slightly better specs anyways.
Do we know if the device has a removable battery?

Micro-SD?

Dual-sim?

AT&T is the first initial carrier - IMO this does not bode well for unlocked bootloader citing AT&T history, and Amazon's own history (as you mentioned with the HDXs.)
GS4 - Sacs Custom 4.3 ROM v5 / MK2 Baseband / TWRP 2.7 / MF9 bootloader
Nexus 7 2012 - SlimKat / TWRP 2.7 / m-kernel a67

r3pwn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilzard View Post

Micro-SD?

Dual-sim?

AT&T is the first initial carrier - IMO this does not bode well for unlocked bootloader citing AT&T history, and Amazon's own history (as you mentioned with the HDXs.)

Those three are unknown by me.

Even if you were to buy it off-contract, it would still most likely be locked. Amazon is the only manufacturer that I know if that does this.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Need help?
Hit me up on Twitter or Google+ or, you know, just send me a PM.

Like what I do?
Send me your Bitcoins. 1EQMaazk3DmBvSFJmWXzhFWbMiZ3SpUj5Z

veilside959
Old
(Last edited by veilside959; 21st July 2014 at 06:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Micro-SD?

Dual-sim?

No Idea
Nexus 5|Root [Retired]
HTC One M8|Root|Xposed [Current]
Amzn Fire TV|Root
Amzn Fire Phone [Ordered]

zoso28
Old
(Last edited by zoso28; 23rd July 2014 at 08:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:

Micro-SD?

Dual-sim?

It's a single nano-sim, no micro-sd slot, permanent battery, and it will be able to be unlocked by at&t, not amazon, but not likely for a few months (through at&t, not sure about third-parties)

P.S. Personally I think the OS is goofy and not very intuitive. It definitely has a few cool visuals, but not in any kind of useful or innovative way. I was expecting a much cooler UI considering it has 6 cameras. It doesn't have a home screen, widgets or any real ways to customize it.
CURRENT: Galaxy S5 [Towelrooted Safestrapped Xposed]; T-Mo Galaxy Note 3 on Int'l xposed; At&t Galaxy Note 3 [Xposed]

RETIRED: Galaxy Note 2 [Int'l Xposed ROM]; Galaxy S IV; Galaxy S III [Task650 JB]; LG Optimus G Pro; Galaxy Note I717; BB Bold 9900 [Hybrid 7.1] iPhone 4s [jailbroken]; Galaxy S II [AOKP]; Moto Atrix 4G [CM7 Ba2tF @ 1.3GHz]; iPhone 4S; Captivate [Serendipity]; iPhone 4; BB 9800; HTC HD2 [CM7/WP7/ICS]; BB 9000 [Hybrid]; iPhone 3GS [Jailbroken]; HTC TyTN

N1ESE
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I will have my Fire Phone sometime in the next 12 hours. It's presently at my local UPS station waiting to get put on a truck for delivery. I don't know what possessed me to buy it. However, I wanted something different and my Galaxy S3 has been acting up big time. I will say, their free year of Amazon Prime offer was very tempting due to the sheer amount of buying I do each month from Amazon. I'm hoping GApps, especially GMail, will be supported somehow. Time will tell and, like I said, I wanted something different and this is definitely "different".

ionbladez
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso28 View Post
It's a single nano-sim, no micro-sd slot, permanent battery, and it will be able to be unlocked by at&t, not amazon, but not likely for a few months (through at&t, not sure about third-parties)

P.S. Personally I think the OS is goofy and not very intuitive. It definitely has a few cool visuals, but not in any kind of useful or innovative way. I was expecting a much cooler UI considering it has 6 cameras. It doesn't have a home screen, widgets or any real ways to customize it.
A little off topic but I paid full price for the phone under the assumption "No Contract" means the same as "not locked to at&t.

I was sadly mistaken and AT&T won't help or do anything about it because it's "exclusive to them".
It pisses me off royally I spent $700 for new phone I can't use.

They won't even give a device unlock EVEN if you get a current AT&T customer to register it, and request an unlock. They simply won't do anything and I hope a root comes out soon making them lose millions for this.

That's atrocious - paying, waiting, then being told no.

jack9955
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I just read an article on theverge: "Unlocking phones in the US will soon be legal"
As long as your cell phone is not on contract, you should be able to get the unlock code from at&t after the President signs the bill.

rachelm920
Old
Thanks Meter 196

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3pwn View Post
This is just a public service announcement regarding the Amazon Fire Phone's potential hackability based on Amazon's history.

Will it get root?

Will it get GApps?
Amazon did one hell of a job preventing people from getting GApps on the Kindle Fire HDXs by squeezing down the partition sizes and adding functions in system apps to keep Google apps from functioning properly. So maybe yes, maybe no.

So, in case you were too lazy to read the above, if you plan on bootloader unlocking this thing and installing the Google Play Store or CyanogenMod fresh out of the box, I would recommend searching elsewhere. The HTC One M8, perhaps, which has slightly better specs anyways.
So basically a lot has changed on the Amazon front since the Original Kindle Fire I have (running CM10). Darn and I was hoping this would be a CM alternative
~Rachelm920~
AT&T Galaxy S5 running stock rooted until some ROMs come out
Other devices:
Nexus 7 2013 Edition stock
Original Kindle Fire running CM10

Android History:T-mobile: Motorola Cliq ran CM7 --> HTC Amaze ran CM9 --> AT&T: Samsung Galaxy S3 tried just about every ROM on this site

Tags
fire phone amazon hackability