Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 44,422 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Home button doesn't wake the Screen some times

Tip us?

rciochin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Still replicating after screen replacement

Hi guys,

Finally decided to take my SM-G900F to Samsung here in Romania where I got it, told the guys I tried everything: factory reset, wipe cache, whatever and they said to leave it there for some thorough tests. Next day they call me to get my phone back, the screen was replaced and I was happy I didn't get the issue for like a whole day, yesterday (please keep in mind that Samsung made no factory reset on my phone, when I got it back it still had all my apps installed).
However I just got the "screen off softkeys on" issue a minute ago.
For me this is a very clear indicator that it's a software issue, not hardware.
Now I'm curious which versions of the phone modified for carriers do not have this issue

Best of luck to all

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by z89x23 View Post
Home button doesn't wake the Screen some times
This has been observed by many people. It would be unrealistic to expect that any PC, including your S5 would be completely bug free. There are simply thousands of variables and thousands of lines of code. This is pretty minor. Press the button a second time if the processor doesn't wake up from deep sleep immediately.

Those who want to jump ship because of something this minor will just be exchanging this bug for a different one. All smartphones have some bugs. Google will probably fix the bug in a future update if the exact cause can be delineated.

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

z89x23
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
This has been observed by many people. It would be unrealistic to expect that any PC, including your S5 would be completely bug free. There are simply thousands of variables and thousands of lines of code. This is pretty minor. Press the button a second time if the processor doesn't wake up from deep sleep immediately.

Those who want to jump ship because of something this minor will just be exchanging this bug for a different one. All smartphones have some bugs. Google will probably fix the bug in a future update if the exact cause can be delineated.

i agree with this.. nothing is coming out with no bugs.. thats why the companies do updates.. so the can make their products better..

for me i m sticking with my S5.. no exchange.. i agree with you.. dont want a different bug..

not jumping ship..

Glock3am
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I just had an update to ANG2. So far, no black screen on wake issue is present in my few hours of use since the update. Let's hope they've licked this problem.

It's a great update in general as well - the fingerprint scanner is improved and has better notification animations and the whole phone feels a lot snappier!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

z89x23
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3am View Post
I just had an update to ANG2. So far, no black screen on wake issue is present in my few hours of use since the update. Let's hope they've licked this problem.

It's a great update in general as well - the fingerprint scanner is improved and has better notification animations and the whole phone feels a lot snappier!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
same here.. i installed it yesterday..

Model: SM-G900F
Model name: GALAXY S5
Version: Android 4.4.2
Changelist: 2089850
Build date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 05:08:46 +0000
Product Code: BTU
PDA: G900FXXU1ANG2
CSC: G900FOXA1ANG3
MODEM: G900FXXU1ANG2
The Following User Says Thank You to z89x23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

z89x23
Old
(Last edited by z89x23; 25th July 2014 at 06:57 AM.) Reason: forgot something
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by z89x23 View Post
same here.. i installed it yesterday..

Model: SM-G900F
Model name: GALAXY S5
Version: Android 4.4.2
Changelist: 2089850
Build date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 05:08:46 +0000
Product Code: BTU
PDA: G900FXXU1ANG2
CSC: G900FOXA1ANG3
MODEM: G900FXXU1ANG2

Update:

After using it for the past 3 day i encounter a minimum rate (3) of not waking up the screen.. This is sure a step to the correct direction of solving the problem..

Please note that i didnt do a factory reset and dalvik cashe wipe.. i will do it after my vacations..

Thank you all..

P.S. the memory (RAM) went to 1.67GB..

D-Ranged
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am having the same issue but it seems, alot worse than you guys.

I got mine from o2 on Friday, updated to the latest BTU rom (JULY from sammobile) and by Saturday then phone kept locking up or was turned off in my pocket. Now 7/10 times I try and wake the screen up with either the power button or home button the screen is blank. Now it is even worse, i get a white noise screen and cant see anything, phone seems to be working but will crash pretty quickly. The screen has the white noise on it as soon as I turn it on and it wont go away, although I managed to last night but its happened again.

Is this a hardware fault? Or is it software? i have tried disabling the SHealth app and the Remote and that has made no difference, I have disabled a lot of Samsung apps too and its still the same!

The only reason i got the phone is because my girlfriends previous phone died so i paid for the upgrade so she could have my S4, which was flawless. o2 are going to make me wait upto 5 days till i get another phone if i send it back to them but i am worried i will just get another one back with the same issue

Any ideas? Is there another ROM i can try on my phone? If i can get the screen to come on that is.