Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,414 Members 53,668 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.x-to-4.4.2-SAFEUP-or-DOWNgrade w Root&SafeStrap featuring1FileFlash&DoneNC2/NC5-EZ

Tip us?

karulio
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am currently on ME7 4.2.2 and have been trying to follow your directions all day, and have combed through this forum and found only two other person whom were on 4.2.2 trying to perform this method and one ended up biting the bullet and upgrading, while the other one apparently went smoothly. Currently I have a fresh ME7 stock rom installed with ODIN with root from towelroot and SafeStrap 3.71 installed. gigilie told the other person on page 63 that after safestrap was installed, we should be able to ODIN the NC5 1 File Firmware Upgrade Odin Package and allow to boot up, then by using Safestrap we can install a custom ROM from here on out. Well Unfortunately, everytime I install the NC5 file, when it goes to boot, it tells me "Secure Fail: Kernal" in the corner and displays that this is not an official Verizon ROM. I also tried both methods from the main page and everytime I tried to ODIN the MK2 downgrade.tar I get the same error. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong because it seems so simple, but I isn't working for me. Thanks in advanced guys. and I've been stuck with 4.2.2 forever so gigilie will get a nice donation from me for this!

gigilie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 540

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by karulio View Post
I am currently on ME7 4.2.2 and have been trying to follow your directions all day, and have combed through this forum and found only two other person whom were on 4.2.2 trying to perform this method and one ended up biting the bullet and upgrading, while the other one apparently went smoothly. Currently I have a fresh ME7 stock rom installed with ODIN with root from towelroot and SafeStrap 3.71 installed. gigilie told the other person on page 63 that after safestrap was installed, we should be able to ODIN the NC5 1 File Firmware Upgrade Odin Package and allow to boot up, then by using Safestrap we can install a custom ROM from here on out. Well Unfortunately, everytime I install the NC5 file, when it goes to boot, it tells me "Secure Fail: Kernal" in the corner and displays that this is not an official Verizon ROM. I also tried both methods from the main page and everytime I tried to ODIN the MK2 downgrade.tar I get the same error. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong because it seems so simple, but I isn't working for me. Thanks in advanced guys. and I've been stuck with 4.2.2 forever so gigilie will get a nice donation from me for this!
mismatching firmware is probably the cause of that. did u just use the newest files in the top of the thread? NC2 is just as good if not better (it is better) try odin'ing that file root with towel and install safestrap. you should get to where you want to be. then downgrade back to me7 via a full odin me7 package no bootloader crap is flashed strictly modem and firmware along with stock rom.... if you want to avoid the stock rom since you have safestrap installed already just boot to safestrap install 4.4.2 custom rom the reboot from safestrap to Download mode. from the PC flash from Odin 3.10 - http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407590071 that file reboot and see what happens again should not be a risk to your me7. once in a ROM you can verify using phone.info tool from playstore hope that helps!

karulio
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So I tried to use both methods that you described and tried to install a custom rom (hyperdrive in this case) via the safestrap that I had already on my stock ME7 (and wasn't sure if I was supposed to clear data or not), then ODIN via PC (in download mode, perhaps thats what I'm doing wrong) the NC2 file that you provided, alas once again I was shown the Kernel error and Warning saying this is not a verizon ROM. So once again I installed my stock ME7 via oden (on pc), and then tried the other method you described where I was to simply install the NC2 via ODIN overtop my ME7, I still recieved the same error. Perhaps I am lost in translation, but I am trying do think of every possible way for this to work.

gigilie
Old
(Last edited by gigilie; Yesterday at 12:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 540

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by karulio View Post
So I tried to use both methods that you described and tried to install a custom rom (hyperdrive in this case) via the safestrap that I had already on my stock ME7 (and wasn't sure if I was supposed to clear data or not), then ODIN via PC (in download mode, perhaps thats what I'm doing wrong) the NC2 file that you provided, alas once again I was shown the Kernel error and Warning saying this is not a verizon ROM. So once again I installed my stock ME7 via oden (on pc), and then tried the other method you described where I was to simply install the NC2 via ODIN overtop my ME7, I still recieved the same error. Perhaps I am lost in translation, but I am trying do think of every possible way for this to work.
have you tried flashing just the AP when you get that error? it shouldnt give you a kernel error if your using official verizon stock kernel and official stock recovery. only if you flash a custom recovery or kernel. you should be able to upgrade your modem in odin. then flash your recovery and finally flash your boot.img or AP in Odin. if you install a 4.4.2 ROM thru safestrap 3.71 it will work. if you get that error try flashing the AP again. if its not allowing you to do this then you might have to upgrade to MK2 as theres really no point to stay on ME7 that might be your best bet. if the bootloaders ever unlocked at a firmware version above mdk it most likely will be NC or MK2 level.

if your going to upgrade to mk2 just download an mk2 odin img flash the stock but no point in entering in to the stock rom after flashing in odin and it restarts pop your battery enter into download mode again and then flash 1 of the 2 files listed at the top of the OP for NC upgrading the easy way. and just follow those instructions you will have to download towelroot and stick it on the sdcard (the towelroot I have included in the package is outdated and towelroot.apk relies on server okaying it to work which geo disabled so remember to get new towelroot.apk to root 1st)