Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 49,415 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Covert HTC One M8 Verizon to Fully Compatible T-Mobile Version

Tip us?

Roefastford
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iweksler View Post
No, that's not what it means. It means, for example, that Verizon's radio (which is part of the firmware) will handle LTE bands 700 / 1700 / 2100 / 1800 / 2600 MHz whereas Sprint - 800 / 1900 / 2600 MHz, Verizon and Sprint will handle CDMA whereas all other brands won't. Besides, greedy carriers (like Verizon, AT&T etc) may introduce filters into the hardware, to make it difficult for their brand to use competitor's SIM's.
Firmware is not like operating system (e.g. Windows). It's more like BIOS but much closer related to the HW. Like try to install a BIOS for the ASUS motherboard into a GIGABYTE one.
So is the hardware inside all the m8's all the same then at least all the gsm versions and the world phones which that makes actually all of them, but of course not talking about using a non world gsm phone on a cdma network even though the gsm models can get some cdma data ? It all boils down to can a verizon m8 be made to work on all at&t bands ? To me if it is incapable of getting at&t lte then it would not be worth changing, not that hspa is not good because it is far better than 3g data but if no lte then I would not mess with it. I"am just tired of verizon being so greedy and feeling they dont need to compete with other carriers. I mean I can get straight talk with at&t service with unlimited talk & text plus 3 gb's of at&t lte data for $45 a month and metro pcs is unlimited the same for $40 a month with no taxes on top, and tmobile is the same and now lets you listen to all the music you want with no data usage, and verizon only wants to give me unlimited talk &text with only 1 gb of data for $60 a month which is using my own verizon m8 that I brought to the service. They verizon feel they have people over a barrel when truth is they dont as at&t is gaining ground on them. I think at&t should be allowed to merge with tmobile or another carrier to match verizon so verizon has to get off their high horse and be literally forced to compete or let that be their greedy downfall.

dj_spore
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I've been thinking about switching to a t-mobile straight talk sim, has anyone had any luck with AOSP roms? Is ViperOne still working out of the box if you select t-mobile as your carrier?

Echoa
Old
Thanks Meter 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roefastford View Post
I understand all that as that info is all available on the net. My question was not what are the bands, my question was can the bands be changed or is the actual hardware different in each carrier version ? Just like a computer can be run off of different operating systems such as windows or Linux, can the bands be programmed to change ?
If you have the right tools i suppose as the hardware should be physically capable of using the bands (its not completely diff hardware) but there are security keys and such which you would have to go around/break into and the trouble of doing so really isnt worth the reward. Firmware hacking is technically possible, but it being possible and plausible are different. I wouldnt do it, id just sell/trade for the one i want.

Roefastford
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoa View Post
If you have the right tools i suppose as the hardware should be physically capable of using the bands (its not completely diff hardware) but there are security keys and such which you would have to go around/break into and the trouble of doing so really isnt worth the reward. Firmware hacking is technically possible, but it being possible and plausible are different. I wouldnt do it, id just sell/trade for the one i want.
Ok so basically for it to even be done it would involve taking the phone a part and getting in to the phone like a jtag repair so for someone to do that would be costly if they even could figure it out, so yeah that would be a lot of expense and definitely not worth the cost. I guess if verizon does not work with me on some price matching of prices then I will sell it and just buy the at&t version.

iweksler
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Guys, I guess there is some misunderstanding. Verizon brand (SIM unlocked) with Verizon firmware (1.55.605.2 - the latest) will work with all sorts of SIMs/Carriers: US (GSM or CDMA), Asia, Europe - GSM/UMTS. Cuz if you look at the spec, Verizon covers most of the existing bands that other carriers cover. Firmware that comes out of Verizon must cover all the bands that are in it's spec cuz otherwise it's like cutting off it's own finger. They wouldn't do that even to spite a competitor. I personally use a Verizon brand phone to with a GSM/UMTS carrier SIM and it works fine. I haven't tried 4G - it's not yet available in my location - but I guess it'll work, if the band is supported.
The main problem with the firmware is that custom ROMs based on international firmware (like 1.54.401.10) may not fully support a Verizon device used internationally.

Echoa
Old
Thanks Meter 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by iweksler View Post
Guys, I guess there is some misunderstanding. Verizon brand (SIM unlocked) with Verizon firmware (1.55.605.2 - the latest) will work with all sorts of SIMs/Carriers: US (GSM or CDMA), Asia, Europe - GSM/UMTS. Cuz if you look at the spec, Verizon covers most of the existing bands that other carriers cover. Firmware that comes out of Verizon must cover all the bands that are in it's spec cuz otherwise it's like cutting off it's own finger. They wouldn't do that even to spite a competitor. I personally use a Verizon brand phone to with a GSM/UMTS carrier SIM and it works fine. I haven't tried 4G - it's not yet available in my location - but I guess it'll work, if the band is supported.
The main problem with the firmware is that custom ROMs based on international firmware (like 1.54.401.10) may not fully support a Verizon device used internationally.
I was just answering the question about firmware hacking :P

Afaik I thought the m8 was a world phone on Verizon (so band support for many of the band's shouldn't be an issue)

TheCrazyDirectioner
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianx View Post
My current phone is from T-Mobile LG G2 d801 unlocked. Iam using it on Wind Mobile here in Canda.

Somehow the HTC One M8 32GB GunMetal Grey, S-OFF, Rooted and running Android Revolution HD 5.0. Tried WCDMA all the other variations too but it does not show my WIND network.

Shouldn't it work? The phone can see Rogers, Bell and Telus but not my main Wind Mobile provider

Please help

THanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2abousa View Post
Same issue, did you figure it out? it works on t-mobile sim so I couldnt understand why it wouldnt on Wind sim.
I'm wondering the same thing and likely have the answer. This thread is really unspecific as to what the "conversion" is. Basically it just disables CDMA and enables standard UTMS 3G. It does not enable the 1700MHz AWS HSPA band used by T-Mobile in refarmed areas, and by Wind on their entire network. With Wind being an only 3G AWS network, you NEED the 1700MHz AWS HSPA band in order it for it to work, unlike T-Mobile where in non-refarmed areas without 3G it just drops down to EDGE.
Galaxy S4 I337M Blue - Stock 4.4.2, AWS modded
Nexus 5 16GB White - CM11 Snapshot M8
Huawei Ascend D1 Quad XL - Stock rooted 4.0.4

loser
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default This does not work for me

The Elemental Kernel method does not seem to work for me . Still having wifi issues with GSM ROMs like the latest 2.22.401.4. This is what I have done :
1. Factory Reset
2. Install ROM
3.Install Kernel
4. Wipe Cache
5.Wipe Dalvik

Still no luck ...
I am S-off and bootloader unlocked.

Any ideas ?
SE T28(sold)->Nokia 3310(sold)->Nokia 8310(lost)-> Motorola i788(returned)->Imate Jasjar(sold)->Imate K-Jam(sold)->Imate Jasjam(sold)->HTC S710(sold)->Dopod C730(sold)->Nokia N95 8 GB(sold)->HTC Tytn II(sold)->Touch Cruise(sold)->Touch Diamond(sold)->Samsung i780(2)(stolen)->Touch Diamond 2(sold)->HTC Hero(sold)-> HTC Leo(sold) -> N1(sold)->Galaxy S(sold)->Omnia Pro 652(sold)->Desire HD(sold)> S2(sold)> Galaxy Tab P750->Note N7000(sold)->Motorola DROID3-Note 2(sold)->S3(sold)->S4(sold)->HTC 1