Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,696 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Screen wont turn on

Tip us?

reath1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
If anyone else has this problem, this may help.

After picking up my sons Note 10.1 and noticing that it would apparently come on but had nothing on the screen I began googling. Not much info out there. Appears to be a common problem. His tablet seemed to be working fine but nothing displayed on the screen. Read several threads on here with most ending in sending the units back under warranty. Although I did purchase 3 year warranties on both units I bought...I'm just not one to do the right thing. I powered the unit down and began taking the back off like the poster did in this thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2617614. Once I got the back off I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. No dice. The poster then said he disconnected the two ribbons and reconnected them and that worked for him...still no worky for me. One of the ribbons is labeled "LCD". I followed it to the other end. It is covered by a silver "hold down" sticker. I unstuck the sticker and could then clearly see that the ribbon was clearly cocked very slightly in it's socket. If you don't know, these ribbon sockets come open by prying the black piece up and away from the ribbon. Be very careful doing this. I did this on this end of the LCD ribbon, straightened the ribbon and clipped the socket back closed. BAM. Black Screen Gone! Works like a charm.

If you are comfortable digging around in very small electronics give it a try. If not, send it in.

Hope this helps.

Will Rickards
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks for that info.
Mine intermittently turns on the screen. Seems to be able to turn it on when I reboot.
So I'll probably try and get it fixed or fix it myself.

The issue is probably the backlight, not the LCD itself.
I can use a flashlight to illuminate the screen and interact with it.
Powerful flashlights are not as good here.
You want something to illuminate the screen without creating to much reflection.
And a darker room helps.