Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 49,211 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto G 4g LTE - Sandisk ultra 32gb microsd card won't mount

Tip us?

-HuntDX-
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
It only occurs with my UHS-I 16GB Toshiba. but fine with 8GB Transcend.

Sent from my XT1039 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Device: Moto G LTE
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 | Unlocked | Rooted | CWM 6.0.5.0

Device: Nokia Lumia 620
ROM: WP8.1 Dev Preview | Lumia Black

Phone: iPad mini Retina Disp.
ROM: iOS 7.1.1

Retired Device: 5320XM, Nokia 6300, Xperia X8, Xperia Ray

Halv
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Just ordered the Moto G LTE from Tesco Mobile in the UK. Not sure if it's relevent but the phone was out of stock there for a week or two and has now gone up 5 in price. Does this mean these could be a new batch or something?

I'm just asking because I'm currently looking for a Micro SD card online and I'm not sure whether or not to take the risk of buying a Class 10.

Is there much difference (noticeable) between class 10 and class 6. This will be a 32GB micro SD.

spatuluk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I received my Moto G 4G (XT1039, Android 4.4.3) from Tesco yesterday. I put in a 32gb Sandisk Ultra sdcard that used to live in my Sony Ericsson SK17i, and it said the card was damaged (reformat?). I let it reformat, thinking the phone would do it best, and it worked - I could store stuff on the card...

...until this morning, when I noticed that some of the games I'd downloaded last night had vanished from the menu. Then I spotted the 'Blank SD card' notification. I tried a restart, but it's still supposedly blank. It's definitely not, as I can read the contents using my SK17i.

NWKENT
Old
Thanks Meter 457
Just ordered a second XT1045..wireless charging card and a Kingston 64GB card..let's see how they (card and device) get along..my two Team 64GB cards work flawlessly in OS, but not recognized in TWRP (behind the cover)..was suggested try the Kingston for (behind the cover)..

Sent from my:
Jaocagomez Debloated ROM
4.4.4_21.11.21 (Unlocked)
XT1080M Droid Maxx #2
http://waynekent.com/page6.html
"Praise Jah" YOU people.!

panhans
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I've chatted with the Moto support yesterday. They confirm this bug under 4.4.4 and they told me that they're working on a solution. So stay patient.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panhans For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-HuntDX-
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhans View Post
I've chatted with the Moto support yesterday. They confirm this bug under 4.4.4 and they told me that they're working on a solution. So stay patient.
that's good to hear. I just spend a few bucks to buy a new card as replacement 😬

Sent from my XT1039 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Device: Moto G LTE
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 | Unlocked | Rooted | CWM 6.0.5.0

Device: Nokia Lumia 620
ROM: WP8.1 Dev Preview | Lumia Black

Phone: iPad mini Retina Disp.
ROM: iOS 7.1.1

Retired Device: 5320XM, Nokia 6300, Xperia X8, Xperia Ray

kheter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Crosspost this from Motorola forum.

I noticed something that could be useful for debugging the "sd card removed unexpectedly" problem.

My UK Moto G was updated to 4.4.4 this morning but the problem still appeared with both a 32 GB class 10 Sandisk and a 16 GB class 10 Kingston.

After playing around a bit, I noticed that the error only appears if I open Play Music app and select the SD as the storage. If I don't, the card works fine, I can take pictures that are saved on the SD and so on. As soon as I change Play Music to use the SD card, the SD is unmounted, the "sd card removed unexpectedly" error appears and I have to reboot. This appears to be consistent and reproducible.

Can someone else try this to confirm/disprove?

Level99
Old
(Last edited by Level99; Yesterday at 03:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheter View Post
Crosspost this from Motorola forum.

I noticed something that could be useful for debugging the "sd card removed unexpectedly" problem.

My UK Moto G was updated to 4.4.4 this morning but the problem still appeared with both a 32 GB class 10 Sandisk and a 16 GB class 10 Kingston.

After playing around a bit, I noticed that the error only appears if I open Play Music app and select the SD as the storage. If I don't, the card works fine, I can take pictures that are saved on the SD and so on. As soon as I change Play Music to use the SD card, the SD is unmounted, the "sd card removed unexpectedly" error appears and I have to reboot. This appears to be consistent and reproducible.

Can someone else try this to confirm/disprove?
Tested it with the Class 2 32GB and did not have any unmount issues.

For mine, I can now say conclusively that anything Class 10 or UHS1 does not work properly. This happens in both Android as well as CWM. Class 2 32GB is working great at the moment.

Edit: Started my own thread for this not knowing this is where the main discussion was. Here are the results of my testing with three XT1045. I have verified that all of these cards work in other phones (all on Galaxy S3 and LG Optimus G, all except 64gb on ZTE Radiant and Motorola Atrix 4G).

Phone 1: Black Moto G 4G LTE.
64GB Sandisk Ultra (Fresh FAT32 format as well as in-use FAT32 with files on it) - Reads as blank or damaged card immediately, upon formatting still says damaged.
32GB Microcenter C10 - Works fine for 5 minutes, then says "removed unexpectedly". Upon reinsertion, says it is blank even though I can verify the files on it are still fine via PC Card Reader.
32GB Kingston C2 - Works fine
16GB Transcend C4 - Works fine
8GB Transcend C6 - Works fine
2GB Transcend C6 - Works fine

Phone 2: First White Moto G 4G LTE.
64GB Sandisk Ultra (Fresh FAT32 format as well as in-use FAT32 with files on it) - Works fine for 5 minutes, then says "removed unexpectedly". Upon reinsertion, says it is blank even though I can verify the files on it are still fine via PC Card Reader.
32GB Microcenter C10 - Works fine for 5 hours, then says "removed unexpectedly". Upon reinsertion, says it is blank even though I can verify the files on it are still fine via PC Card Reader. Every time after this, immediately says blank or damaged upon insertion.
32GB Kingston C2 - Works fine

Phone 3: Second White Moto G 4G LTE.
64GB Sandisk Ultra (Fresh FAT32 format as well as in-use FAT32 with files on it) - Reads as blank or damaged card immediately, upon formatting still says damaged.
32GB Microcenter C10 - Reads as blank or damaged card immediately, upon formatting still says damaged.
32GB Kingston C2 - Works fine. This is what I am currently testing to see if it also displays issues after elongated periods of use.
Using: Moto G 4G LTE | Nexus 7 F2FS Slimkat 4.4.2
Retired: Samsung Galaxy S3 CM11 | AT&T LG Optimus G KK Stock | Motorola Atrix 4G epinter CM 10.1 | ZTE Radiant | HTC Evo 4G ICS
"stevo doesn't really DO anything, but he sits around and makes us all feel like we're getting MORE done because he does so little"

turtuv
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Updated to 4.4.4 and finally my microSD works just fine.