[Q] Must cycle Airplane mode between texts

Search This thread

Steve One

Jan 2, 2011
mms issues should be a different problem all together. sms is failing here.

Have you tried setting the apn settings in the sms app itself?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes I've tried everything if you check out the liquid thread you can find my multiple posts. Thank you for your suggestion though

KohanTech

Nov 18, 2012
Yes I've tried everything if you check out the liquid thread you can find my multiple posts. Thank you for your suggestion though

I read through them and it appears you and I are in the same boat. I gave up on this problem a month or two ago. On stock rooted KK now. It's been good to me... Eh.

One question I have is sms and mms had been thrown around like it's interchangeable. Your problem consists of sending one SMS and all others after fail? Correct? MMS should work.

Steve One

Jan 2, 2011
I read through them and it appears you and I are in the same boat. I gave up on this problem a month or two ago. On stock rooted KK now. It's been good to me... Eh.

One question I have is sms and mms had been thrown around like it's interchangeable. Your problem consists of sending one SMS and all others after fail? Correct? MMS should work.

Yes you are correct Sir.
I am also running stock rooted.

eepman

Dec 20, 2009
I'm also having this issue. Just got an Asurion replacement and installed CM11.

One text , airplane cycle, text again. Very annoying

Tried multiple *228 activations then found out that is a bad idea? Had to call verizon and get it reactivated properly.

Still had the issue so I talked to Verizon for a while and tried various things.
Almost seemed to work with the stock SMS app on CM11 M8 Snapshot. Right after boot I sent three in a row to a number, then a few minutes later I couldn't send any again.

Going to go to Stock and see if that works :/

KohanTech

Nov 18, 2012
Yeah anything based on stock works great. Yeah *228 will "fry" your SIM. That is for the older 3g phones. Learned that one the hard way.

KohanTech

Nov 18, 2012
If I remember correctly it was Viper 2.5 ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2475739 ) that had a stock DNA jelly bean base. This would work perfectly because it's essentially a stock rom with TONs of added features. Sms would have no issues.

M8 ports unfortunately is based on stock m8 and doesn't seen to work for phones with this particular problem.

*edit* Last I checked M8 ports did not work. I've been rocking stock DNA Kk for a couple months now.

Last edited:

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
This is incomprehensible to me. I just flashed one of Santod's ROMs. It's 4.4. Tethering works wonderfully. But of course, I'm back to cycling Airplane mode to send texts. Is there some other method by which I can send texts? Force it to go over data? I dunno. It just seems to me if we have stock root that can text but not tether, and custom ROMs which can tether but not text, there has to be some way to get the best of both worlds.

I.M.famous XMAN

Dec 16, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
idk if this has been suggested yet, I kinda jumped in at the end, but has anyone tried loading the stock hboot and recovery, then doing a factory reset? Using this method I was able to fix a problem I had with not being able to connect to 4G. I was kinda stuck in 1x. Also when I was on lte, it was good till I sent an sms. Send one, ok. send two, no sim/unknown sim. I actually RUU'd and still had the problem. But after a stock factory reset from stock hboot, I have no issues. IIRC the stock reset wipes data and updates NV. Currently on Viper and loving it. :) If this does not pertain to this issue, then I appologize for wasting your time. But what do you have to lose?:confused: You never know if you haven't tried. :cool:

--X

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
idk if this has been suggested yet, I kinda jumped in at the end, but has anyone tried loading the stock hboot and recovery, then doing a factory reset? Using this method I was able to fix a problem I had with not being able to connect to 4G. I was kinda stuck in 1x. Also when I was on lte, it was good till I sent an sms. Send one, ok. send two, no sim/unknown sim. I actually RUU'd and still had the problem. But after a stock factory reset from stock hboot, I have no issues. IIRC the stock reset wipes data and updates NV. Currently on Viper and loving it. :) If this does not pertain to this issue, then I appologize for wasting your time. But what do you have to lose?:confused: You never know if you haven't tried. :cool:

--X

Before I go through all of this, does the fact that a stock root ROM works just fine affect this suggestion at all?

I'll try it. But my limited knowledge about the back end of all this makes me ask a lot of questions.

I can restore my NAND backup right now and I'll be back to having working SMS. Which wouldn't be bad if I could have tethering, too.

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
Ruu isn't necessary.
But you have the rest correct.
I would just flash my stock odexed rooted Rom and stock recovery.
Then do a reset from settings.
Back everything up first to a pc that you want saved.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

So, I've just done this again. Texting works. Tethering obviously does not, yet.

What's the next suggested step? Do I flash a new recovery? If so, which one?

After that, a new ROM?

KohanTech

Nov 18, 2012
Frying the SIM and dealing without 4g is the only way so far that I found... *228 opt1.
I think this is an issue of sms being incorrectly routed to the 4g network. I wonder if turning data off in the settings if sms would then go through. Obviously mms has to use data so that would not work there until data is turned back on.

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
Frying the SIM and dealing without 4g is the only way so far that I found... *228 opt1.
I think this is an issue of sms being incorrectly routed to the 4g network. I wonder if turning data off in the settings if sms would then go through. Obviously mms has to use data so that would not work there until data is turned back on.

I went back to 4.1 It works beautifully.

I have SMS
I have tethering
I even have Google Now

I wish the quick settings menu was available at the top, but such is life.

jbjork70stpl

Sep 19, 2009
Message Not Sent

Here is my $.02

I had this same problem of not being able to send more than one text without cycling thru airplane mode or rebooting. Send one text: fine. Send a second text would fail "message not sent". I was running EOS 4.4.x when it happened. I tried full wiping/clean installing several other 4.4 roms including CM and MoKee. I also tried flashing some different 4.4 kernels. Nothing seemed to help. I still had the "message not sent" error on my second text. I did not have any 3G/4G issues. Finally I flashed this radio and sense ROM and my sms problem was solved:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2560010

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2698088

Finally, my texts would go through, one after the other with no problem. However, I discovered that my MMS group texts were not going to all recipients. So I figured I would try to flash back to an ASOP ROM and see if the problem would come back. I did a clean/ full-wipe install of the current 4.4 MoKee and my SMS problem came right back. Now I only can send one text at a time, then must cycle airplane mode or reboot.

The funny thing is that I was running the same ASOP rom for EOS for a couple months before the problem started. And if I put my sim card in my old stock Galaxy S3, I have no texting problems at all.

I'm currently restoring back to my backup of the sense rom. Hopefully sms problem will not came back. Problem is that I hate sense, and I love the clean ASOP android.

Thoughts?

jazoon

Jun 25, 2014
GUYS GUYS GUYS

I think I may have finally figured out a fix. I did this earlier this morning and it's been working for the last 2 hours with no interruptions (not sending texts). Hello fellow Marylander mdphoenix :)

I tooled and tooled with this problem for a long time now because I've been so damned determined to be able to run an AOSP ROM on my phone. Recently I started playing more and more in the *#*#4636#*#* options menu. I've screwed stuff up to the point that I needed to reflash a few times but then I thought about the "SMSC" option that's there and I wasn't really sure what that had to do with so I googled "SMSC settings" and the first result brought me to CM's website about updating the SMSC code for your carrier. I done the steps to update my SMSC code for my carrier (Verizon) and waited 10 minutes, rebooted the phone and I've been able to text with absolutely no errors like I said for 2 hours now and I'm hoping it stays that way. PLEASE try this and let me know if it works for you. I'm going to paste the instructions I followed below as well as the link to the source in case you need another carrier code:

Code:
    Open Dialer
    Type the following sequence '*#*#4636#*#*'
    Open Device Information/Phone Information/Tablet Information
    Scroll down to SMSC
        Optional: Hit Refresh to see current SMSC number used
    Enter in your carrier's gateway number in one of the following formats: [B]I USED +316540951000 in the box provided[/B]
        The 12 character gateway number including '+' (ex. +12063130004)
        The 12 character gateway number in quotes (ex. "+12063130004")
        The 16 character PDU formatted SMSC number as described below (ex. 07912160130300f4)
    Press Update

Once entered, it can take up to 10 minutes for the phone to 'handshake' with the new gateway. A reboot is also suggested to power cycle the radio. If the format you entered does not work, attempt one of the other formats. Assuming everything worked, you should now be able to send and receive SMS properly.

Like I said I waited 10 minutes, rebooted my phone and went back in to the options menu where you input this to make sure that code stuck. Started texting and haven't had a problem since! :cool:

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

GUYS GUYS GUYS

I think I may have finally figured out a fix. I did this earlier this morning and it's been working for the last 2 hours with no interruptions (not sending texts). Hello fellow Marylander mdphoenix :)

I tooled and tooled with this problem for a long time now because I've been so damned determined to be able to run an AOSP ROM on my phone. Recently I started playing more and more in the *#*#4636#*#* options menu. I've screwed stuff up to the point that I needed to reflash a few times but then I thought about the "SMSC" option that's there and I wasn't really sure what that had to do with so I googled "SMSC settings" and the first result brought me to CM's website about updating the SMSC code for your carrier. I done the steps to update my SMSC code for my carrier (Verizon) and waited 10 minutes, rebooted the phone and I've been able to text with absolutely no errors like I said for 2 hours now and I'm hoping it stays that way. PLEASE try this and let me know if it works for you. I'm going to paste the instructions I followed below as well as the link to the source in case you need another carrier code:

Code:
    Open Dialer
    Type the following sequence '*#*#4636#*#*'
    Open Device Information/Phone Information/Tablet Information
    Scroll down to SMSC
        Optional: Hit Refresh to see current SMSC number used
    Enter in your carrier's gateway number in one of the following formats: [B]I USED +316540951000 in the box provided[/B]
        The 12 character gateway number including '+' (ex. +12063130004)
        The 12 character gateway number in quotes (ex. "+12063130004")
        The 16 character PDU formatted SMSC number as described below (ex. 07912160130300f4)
    Press Update

Once entered, it can take up to 10 minutes for the phone to 'handshake' with the new gateway. A reboot is also suggested to power cycle the radio. If the format you entered does not work, attempt one of the other formats. Assuming everything worked, you should now be able to send and receive SMS properly.

Like I said I waited 10 minutes, rebooted my phone and went back in to the options menu where you input this to make sure that code stuck. Started texting and haven't had a problem since! :cool:

Won't let me post the source link since I'm under 10 posts :(

If it helps at all I'm running the latest AOSPA+ ParanoidAndroid ROM 4.4KitKat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New SIM?

HTC DNA
    LG Optimus G
    Are you certain it was Santod? He's only got 19 posts on this board and I don't see anything directly related to the SMS problem I'm having.

Yes it is on This page
    I think you are doing something wrong.

RUU the latest firmware, factory reset, wipe data, cache, and system, install a ROM and DO NOT restore anything.

I think youre not completely wiping and/or are restoring things.
    I think you are doing something wrong.

RUU the latest firmware, factory reset, wipe data, cache, and system, install a ROM and DO NOT restore anything.

I think youre not completely wiping and/or are restoring things.

He already tried that on his old DNA, even put the new SIM card in with the same results. Verizon sent him a new device, he just ran rumrunner s-off, rooted, installed custom recovery and is getting the same problem.
    @mdphoenix what recovery are you using? that may be another variable in this quagmire that needs researching.
    He already tried that on his old DNA, even put the new SIM card in with the same results. Verizon sent him a new device, he just ran rumrunner s-off, rooted, installed custom recovery and is getting the same problem.

@mdphoenix what recovery are you using? that may be another variable in this quagmire that needs researching.
    Hardly anyone else has this problem, and now it's happened to him on two phones. I doubt it's a rom, recovery problem. He never specifically said he didn't restore anything. Some people think it's benign and don't mention it, and that ends up being the problem. Maybe not, but the common factor seems to be the user and the files he is using. He should redownload the rom and check the md5.