Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,775 Members 40,984 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root cause for Gear 2 high battery consumption found, at least for non-Samsung phones

Tip us?

vat829
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpogr View Post
OK, I think I need to publish a bit more detailed tutorial on how to use this app.
First of all, the 7z file is an archive, the actual executable is packed inside (use 7zip software on your PC to extract). You can then use sdb to push the file to the Gear. Once within the Gear shell (e.g. using "sdb shell"), if you did "sdb root on" beforehand, you can change permissions ("chmod 755 kill_contacts") and copy the file to /sbin ("cp kill_contacts /sbin"). Then you can run it as a service ("systemd-run --unit=kill_contacts.nonsamsung --description="Automatically Kill Contacts Every 2 Minutes" /sbin/kill_contacts"), but it will still not survive the Gear reboot. I need to figure out how to create a proper service configuration file, so it gets started automatically upon reboot. Will update on that later.
i'm getting no such file or directory as well. Please help

Lazzeuz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
no update anymore??? hope someone could give a hint of how to solve my problem NT-7105 and gear 2 neo with fast draining battery

mpogr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazzeuz View Post
no update anymore??? hope someone could give a hint of how to solve my problem NT-7105 and gear 2 neo with fast draining battery
Well, the latest update is to use "kill_contacts" app on the Gear. This one is universal because it doesn't depend on the version of the Gear Manager. You do need to root your Gear for it to work though.

Lazzeuz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Well, the latest update is to use "kill_contacts" app on the Gear. This one is universal because it doesn't depend on the version of the Gear Manager. You do need to root your Gear for it to work though.
i'll try to look it up then...wish me luck =)

so to round it up i need:

1. root my gear 2 neo
2. install the kill_contacts
3. reset the gear manager ???

mpogr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
i'll try to look it up then...wish me luck =)

3. reset the gear manager ???
This is not needed.

Lazzeuz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
This is not needed.
okay...oh and the kill_contacts app is in 7z archive isn't it?

mpogr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
okay...oh and the kill_contacts app is in 7z archive isn't it?
It is. Unpack and push to /sbin using sdb (make sure you did "sdb root on" beforehand), then change permissions to 755.

vat829
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Hey mpogr, I'm still getting No such file or directory now matter what I do can you do a detail tutorial so i can see what im doing wrong

mpogr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by vat829 View Post
Hey mpogr, I'm still getting No such file or directory now matter what I do can you do a detail tutorial so i can see what im doing wrong
While manipulating files using command prompt (Windows or Unix), you need to remember the following rules:
1. When invoking an executable, it either needs to be on your path (%path% environment variable in Windows, $PATH in Unix), current directory (only on Windows) or you need to specify full/relative path to it (using \ on Windows or / on Unix). For example, if your "sdb.exe" on Windows is in "c:\tizen-sdk\tools", you need to invoke it using "c:\tizen-sdk\tools\sdb" or do "cd c:\tizen-sdk\tools" and then "sdb".
2. When referring to a file as a part of other command, you need to specify its relative or full path (filename only will do it only if you're in the very directory where the file is located). For example, if your "kill_contacts" file on Windows is in "C:\Users\blah\Downloads", you need to do "cd c:\users\blah\downloads" and only then you can refer to it by its name. e.g. "c:\tizen-sdk\tools\sdb push kill_contacts /sbin". If your current directory is "c:\tizen-sdk\tools", then it needs to be "sdb push c:\user\blah\downloads\kill_contacts /sbin".
Likewise, after you pushed the file to the watch, you need to use the same logic, just in the Unix land, e.g.:
Code:
Select Code
C:\Users\blah\Downloads> c:\tizen-sdk\tools\sdb push kill_contacts /sbin
C:\Users\blah\Downloads> c:\tizen-sdk\tools\sdb root on
C:\Users\blah\Downloads> c:\tizen-sdk\tools\sdb shell
# chmod 755 /sbin/kill_contacts
# systemd-run --unit=kill_contacts.nonsamsung --description="Automatically Kill Contacts Every 2 Minutes" /sbin/kill_contacts
Hope it helps. Remember to run the service (repeat the last command) after each Gear restart!