Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 48,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

IKWEAR IK8 MTK6577 Smart Phone Watch 1.54 Inch Android 4.0

Tip us?

DrLex
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I got me one of these too, ordered from a Dutch guy who'd better pay back the import taxes caused by him drop-shipping it while pretending he had it in stock, or he'll be getting some negative publicity. Having to wait 3 weeks was bad enough.

I already had a ZGPAX S5 which I damaged, which is why I got this as a replacement. This is exactly the same hardware, as evidenced by the ability to restore a complete TWRP backup from the IK8 on my S5 with everything functional. The IK8 is definitely the better of these two watch phones though: better build quality, no buzzing during calls, better cell signal reception, better clock & launcher system, no dead zone on the touchscreen. Definitely not waterproof with the gaping hole of the microUSB port, but it looks not as vulnerable to a few raindrops as the S5, whose screen doesn't even seem to be glued tight.

For the rest I concur with Robson, very good loudspeaker, the GPS is indeed impressively good and seems better than on the S5, at the condition that one does the usual dance of enabling EPO etc.

crodgers79
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Unhappy Can't login to Google PlayStore

The problem is that the teeny tiny keyboard is just too hard to navigate and when I try to switch the keyboard from alpha to numeric I get an "Android Framework has stopped" error message and the Google setup/sign-in app crashes and reloads.. Arrrggghh..

I tried installing two different Bluetooth keyboards to get around this problem but when you link the keyboards and go into the settings it will say "Use as input device" great, but when you go into "Languages and Input" to set the default to the Bluetooth keyboard the Bluetooth keyboard is NOT shown as an option just the default AOSP keyboard.. Can one of you guys help?? You know what a PIA it is to return anything to China so I just may be stuck with this which sucks because I can't use any of my Google apps (e.g. Gmail) which is why I bought this thing in the first place!

Any and all replies are appreciated!

Chris R.
Chris R.
Rooted Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Dual Recovery
Unlocked Bootloader
[ROM] Android 4.4.4
[Carrier] T-Mobile
[Screen Protector]: iLLumiShield (highly recommended)

DrLex
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by crodgers79 View Post
The problem is that the teeny tiny keyboard is just too hard to navigate and when I try to switch the keyboard from alpha to numeric I get an "Android Framework has stopped" error message and the Google setup/sign-in app crashes and reloads.. Arrrggghh..

I tried installing two different Bluetooth keyboards to get around this problem but when you link the keyboards and go into the settings it will say "Use as input device" great, but when you go into "Languages and Input" to set the default to the Bluetooth keyboard the Bluetooth keyboard is NOT shown as an option just the default AOSP keyboard.. Can one of you guys help?? You know what a PIA it is to return anything to China so I just may be stuck with this which sucks because I can't use any of my Google apps (e.g. Gmail) which is why I bought this thing in the first place!

Any and all replies are appreciated!

Chris R.
I have tried to get Bluetooth keyboards and mice to work with two different phones that use this same chipset and Android version. My conclusion is that it is impossible. The devices pair, but the phone does not react to them. It looks like a fundamental bug in this Android release. If anyone has more success, I would certainly want to hear about it.

Your best option would be to install a half-size keyboard like Slidy Press, that has much bigger keys. Of course, installing the official version would require logging into the Play store first Your only option is to download the APK and install it from the file manager. I have made a customized version of Slidy Press available for download. I would post the link here, but for some reason the forum forbids this, so you will have to Google for this exact phrase between quotes: "I recommend installing Slidy Press" and you'll find the download link.

crodgers79
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Unhappy Unfortunately Google Framework Services has stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLex View Post
I have tried to get Bluetooth keyboards and mice to work with two different phones that use this same chipset and Android version. My conclusion is that it is impossible. The devices pair, but the phone does not react to them. It looks like a fundamental bug in this Android release. If anyone has more success, I would certainly want to hear about it.

Your best option would be to install a half-size keyboard like Slidy Press, that has much bigger keys. Of course, installing the official version would require logging into the Play store first Your only option is to download the APK and install it from the file manager. I have made a customized version of Slidy Press available for download. I would post the link here, but for some reason the forum forbids this, so you will have to Google for this exact phrase between quotes: "I recommend installing Slidy Press" and you'll find the download link.
Thanks!!! I installed Slidy but I'm now finding that if I touch any key that appears in the lower left corner I get a "Unfortunately Google Framework Services has stopped" error and the app crashes. Any ideas???

Thanks again!!!

Chris R.
Chris R.
Dual Recovery
Unlocked Bootloader
[ROM] Android 4.4.4
[Carrier] T-Mobile

DrLex
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Thanks!!! I installed Slidy but I'm now finding that if I touch any key that appears in the lower left corner I get a "Unfortunately Google Framework Services has stopped" error and the app crashes. Any ideas???

Thanks again!!!

Chris R.
So, regardless of the keyboard you're using, it always crashes when you touch the lower left key? That is extremely weird. Do you also get strange things when you touch that location without keyboard? Maybe your screen is defective and you'll have to send it back anyhow…

Robson
Old
Thanks Meter 19
i concur with lex, i've never had this problem despite installing multiple apps on the watch. in your posts you mentioned that the error message first came up when you tried switching from alpha to numeric. and again the message comes up when you touched a key in the lower left. coincidentally, both areas you touched are on the lower left portion of the screen. there might be something wrong with your device/screen. unless of course another app is somehow causing this issue? though somewhat related, i once installed usb toggle in my note 2. though rooted, it seems that my note didn't like the app and frequently crashed. i had to fix it up it to the point of going to the bootloader to wipe out the cache. in any case, uninstalled it and now my note functions well. the same could be for your watch. again, unless of course there's something wrong with your screen/device...in which case you should have the watch replaced.

at first in setting up my wifi connection, playstore id/password, etc..it was quite a burden. though the keyboard is small, you'll eventually get the hang of it. i still get the occassional mistake of pressing the wrong letter. but i rarely do this anymore since the watch has been set up to what i need it to do (which is mostly for gps).

the one thing i'm looking around for is trying to either deactivate or change the watch face. i noticed that this can be done for the sony smartwatch...i'm still trying to find a way for the ik8. no luck at the moment though...
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Xperia Play, iPhone 4 (office phone) and the same Nokia 8850 from 1999
HTC HD2 (T-Mobile), HTC Desire
HTC Touch Pro 2
Dopod U1000
Nokia N95 (remind me never to go back to Symbian)
Mio A701
XDA2
XDA1
Ericsson - something
Motorola - something
Trium Mondo
Nokia 8850 - 1999
Nokia 8810

crodgers79
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Unhappy Returning

Guys,

Thanks.. I've done a Factory Reset and the problem persists. I think the digitizer is faulty in that one spot so I'm sending mine back for another.. Will let you know if the next one acts up! Thanks for all of the replies!

Chris R.
Chris R.
Dual Recovery
Unlocked Bootloader
[ROM] Android 4.4.4
[Carrier] T-Mobile

DrLex
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Thumbs up IK8 Review

I wrote a review about the IK8 (I think I should be allowed to post links by now). Because I already had a ZGPAX S5 and the IK8 is very similar, the review mostly focuses on the differences between the two. The general conclusion however is that the IK8 is noticeably better in most aspects.
The review also contains a list of tweaks and hacks, and custom versions of the clock screensaver and launcher. Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to DrLex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Robson
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLex View Post
I wrote a review about the IK8 (I think I should be allowed to post links by now). Because I already had a ZGPAX S5 and the IK8 is very similar, the review mostly focuses on the differences between the two. The general conclusion however is that the IK8 is noticeably better in most aspects.
The review also contains a list of tweaks and hacks, and custom versions of the clock screensaver and launcher. Enjoy!
hey lex

thanks for sending that link to your review. I rooted the phone to change the watch face lock screen. I think somewhere along the line I sort of did something wrong because now the lock screen watch won't come up....which is a good thing! what I did was installed ADW Launcher and used a live wallpaper for a nice watch face. I kept the home screen free of any widgets. Swiping to the right then brings up a whole bunch of short cuts and widgets which I use.

cheers
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Xperia Play, iPhone 4 (office phone) and the same Nokia 8850 from 1999
HTC HD2 (T-Mobile), HTC Desire
HTC Touch Pro 2
Dopod U1000
Nokia N95 (remind me never to go back to Symbian)
Mio A701
XDA2
XDA1
Ericsson - something
Motorola - something
Trium Mondo
Nokia 8850 - 1999
Nokia 8810

hackerse7en
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Guys,

Thanks.. I've done a Factory Reset and the problem persists. I think the digitizer is faulty in that one spot so I'm sending mine back for another.. Will let you know if the next one acts up! Thanks for all of the replies!

Chris R.
have you tried change the launcher and see if that spot keep faulty, my motoactv had a faulty spot on screen related to massive battery discharge, factory reset didnt work, but the problem was zeam i changed to adw, smooth as silk, i think it woth a shot
Current Devices
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Motorola Motoactv - Smartwatch

Previous phones

Lg Maximo Black -
-
Zte Blade -
-
SGS Note 2 - Broken
-
Previous tablets
-