Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 52,930 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S4 Active 4.4.2 Kitkat ROOT

Tip us?

Aldebaran_i537
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up What do I do with the pwndkitkat.zip and safestrapactive.apk I copied into my sdcard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL2000820 View Post
Ok, I am now on unrooted ML2. I have downloaded the .cfg file and renamed it update.zip. I do not know how to proceed from this. I transferred the update.zip to my phone via usb connection and MTP and I made sure not to put it in a folder. i tried going into stock recovery ( the one where I hold down home+power+vol. down? Is that correct?) but it just goes into download mode and there is no option to apply update.
Edit: NVM I figured it out... Apparently, i have to hold down power+home+vol. up O.o well any way. thank you

Also, what do I do with the pwndkitkat.zip and safestrapactive.apk I copied into my SD card? Can they be deleted (to save memory?)

Xanthos58
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyzz View Post
The download link on #4 (System image from stock 4.3 Tar file) links to a "Page not Found"
You can find it in the stock firmware collection thread

Sent from my SGH-I537 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DL2000820
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran_i537 View Post
Also, what do I do with the pwndkitkat.zip and safestrapactive.apk I copied into my SD card? Can they be deleted (to save memory?)
I did not use either of them so I wouldn't know. But I think you can delete the apk. but just don't uninstall safestrap. I really wish I knew more, I'm sorry.

eclos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Angry broken link

Hello,

It seems that the file referenced by

4. System image from stock 4.3 Tar file Download

is now missing (14/07/2014)

Can you provide a new link please?
Thanks

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclos View Post
Hello,

It seems that the file referenced by

4. System image from stock 4.3 Tar file Download

is now missing (14/07/2014)

Can you provide a new link please?
Thanks
You don't need to do any of this to root the phone anymore, just use towelroot.com.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devo7v For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iBowToAndroid
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh28 View Post
Anyone have the mobile hotspot exploit working? I can't get anything besides "settings has stopped working". This worked in 4.2.2 and 4.3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaffin View Post
Yes, you need the modified one, I attached it.
change it to -rw-r--r-- and make sure you have renamed the original and odex first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh28 View Post
You sir, just made my night. Worked like a charm. Thank you!!!!
Quotes from above were from first KK OTA - NC9. Has anyone successfully repeated on NE3?

Thanks
ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
m7spr (stock rooted)
manta (stock rooted)
Follow me on Twitter
Email/Hangouts
Google+

rdh28
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yes sir! Same method

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ekubec
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Question on updating S4 Active (rooted 4.2.2 --> 4.4.x)?

Hey folks, appreciate the work done, I have used geohot's tools to root my 4.2.2 (and donated a bit of $).

I would like to get an updated stock kernel (kitkat 4.4.?) and have root. I currently have 4.2.2 with root. I also have backed up with Titanium, Airdroid, and Google Drive).

If I want to get to 4.4.x (as laid out in this thread) and rooted, what is my best course of action (eg. should I updgrade OTA to 4.3 or 4.4 first?)

Additionally, I disabled OTA on my current environment and when I press "About Device" and then "Software Update" nothing happens.

Let me know if I should start a different thread, or if there is another thread that answers it. thanks.

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekubec View Post
Hey folks, appreciate the work done, I have used geohot's tools to root my 4.2.2 (and donated a bit of $).

I would like to get an updated stock kernel (kitkat 4.4.?) and have root. I currently have 4.2.2 with root. I also have backed up with Titanium, Airdroid, and Google Drive).

If I want to get to 4.4.x (as laid out in this thread) and rooted, what is my best course of action (eg. should I updgrade OTA to 4.3 or 4.4 first?)

Additionally, I disabled OTA on my current environment and when I press "About Device" and then "Software Update" nothing happens.

Let me know if I should start a different thread, or if there is another thread that answers it. thanks.
Just download the NE3 Odin package from the i537 Firmware Thread, flash, and use towelroot to root when you're done.

eclos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks a lot, it's perfect.