Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,370 Members 37,233 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Maps won't speak street names

Tip us?

skatingrocker17
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Google Maps won't speak street names

So I've done some research on this and know it has to do with the TTS service. The problem is, when I go to Language and Keyboard -> Text-to-Speak output, everything is grayed out. At the bottom, it is stuck at "Default language status" and it says "checking...". This problem occurs when I install a different TTS service too.

I am running the Venom 1.6 rom. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

grentuu
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post
So I've done some research on this and know it has to do with the TTS service. The problem is, when I go to Language and Keyboard -> Text-to-Speak output, everything is grayed out. At the bottom, it is stuck at "Default language status" and it says "checking...". This problem occurs when I install a different TTS service too.

Take a look here. Lots of reasons why this might happen and there are lots of posts around about it, but this one does appear to offer a number of solutions

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2466895&page=2

I UPGRADED TO A 5GHZ CABLE HUB FOR THIS???

IF I DON'T HELP YOU, IT'S NOT BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE A TOSS. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.
IF I DO, PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1,496
Quote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...a.tts&hl=en_GB
try this its way better anyway

skatingrocker17
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut View Post
I've actually done that too. I think the problem is with Android for me. See my screenshot. No matter what TTS I have, everything on this menu screen stays grayed out.

jaythenut
Old
Thanks Meter 1,496
Quote:
I've actually done that too. I think the problem is with Android for me. See my screenshot. No matter what TTS I have, everything on this menu screen stays grayed out.

when you installed rom was there a opinion in aroma that was to remove text to speak if so just do a dirty flash and dont remove it

skatingrocker17
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut View Post
when you installed rom was there a opinion in aroma that was to remove text to speak if so just do a dirty flash and dont remove it
Okay I'll try that. But I wouldn't of removed it, and it's on there now. When I install IVONA, it shows up there too but it's grayed out just like Google TTS. Google Play shows Google TTS is installed too. I've also tried removing it and reinstalling.

gautamrao
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I actually had that too, but just pressing (clicking!) on the greyed out Preferred engine option somehow made it green again and things worked afterwards. So weird.

Datatekniker
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up TTS greyed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamrao View Post
I actually had that too, but just pressing (clicking!) on the greyed out Preferred engine option somehow made it green again and things worked afterwards. So weird.
That worked for me as well, THANKS...

Tags
google maps, htc one (m8), text to speech, tts, venom