Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

Google Maps won't speak street names

OP skatingrocker17

18th May 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Toledo
Thanks Meter: 4

53 posts
So I've done some research on this and know it has to do with the TTS service. The problem is, when I go to Language and Keyboard -> Text-to-Speak output, everything is grayed out. At the bottom, it is stuck at "Default language status" and it says "checking...". This problem occurs when I install a different TTS service too.

I am running the Venom 1.6 rom. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
18th May 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #2  
Just outside of Manchester UK
Thanks Meter: 160

525 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17

So I've done some research on this and know it has to do with the TTS service. The problem is, when I go to Language and Keyboard -> Text-to-Speak output, everything is grayed out. At the bottom, it is stuck at "Default language status" and it says "checking...". This problem occurs when I install a different TTS service too.

Take a look here. Lots of reasons why this might happen and there are lots of posts around about it, but this one does appear to offer a number of solutions

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2466895&page=2
18th May 2014, 08:01 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,545

5,192 posts
More
Quote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...a.tts&hl=en_GB
try this its way better anyway
18th May 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Toledo

53 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...a.tts&hl=en_GB
try this its way better anyway

I've actually done that too. I think the problem is with Android for me. See my screenshot. No matter what TTS I have, everything on this menu screen stays grayed out.

18th May 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,545

5,192 posts
More
Quote:

I've actually done that too. I think the problem is with Android for me. See my screenshot. No matter what TTS I have, everything on this menu screen stays grayed out.

when you installed rom was there a opinion in aroma that was to remove text to speak if so just do a dirty flash and dont remove it
18th May 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Toledo

53 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythenut

when you installed rom was there a opinion in aroma that was to remove text to speak if so just do a dirty flash and dont remove it

Okay I'll try that. But I wouldn't of removed it, and it's on there now. When I install IVONA, it shows up there too but it's grayed out just like Google TTS. Google Play shows Google TTS is installed too. I've also tried removing it and reinstalling.
26th June 2014, 07:20 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I actually had that too, but just pressing (clicking!) on the greyed out Preferred engine option somehow made it green again and things worked afterwards. So weird.
30th July 2014, 10:53 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Thumbs up TTS greyed out
Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamrao

I actually had that too, but just pressing (clicking!) on the greyed out Preferred engine option somehow made it green again and things worked afterwards. So weird.

That worked for me as well, THANKS...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google maps, htc one (m8), text to speech, tts, venom
Previous Thread Next Thread