Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 39,446 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL][v500][4.4.2] AIC Kernel [MAY-4-2014]

Tip us?

meanoc
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
What I have been doing the last week is checking deeper in to overclocking. Some of you know this and some don't so I will explain it all. Let me preface this with saying I have done extreme desktop overclocking since the 1990's and have had known world records on certain CPU's. For the Gpad it's pretty simple, there just isn't enough thermal headroom here. Most of the people here that want overclocking also do benchmarks, I'm willing to bet your low score in Antutu is a function of thermal throttling. If you let the tablet sit for 10 min and cool down you will get a higher score then if you run the benchmark back to back, and this is at stock speed. Want to test it in Antutu?

Code:
Select Code
adb shell
su
stop thermald
This will disable the thermal throttling, which doesn't kick in until ~94C. Higher benchmark CPU score?

The other issue is thermald control in general, it has a nasty habit of reseting the max CPU freq in the table after a thermal throttling event occurs. What this means is if I make a kernel that has a highest table freq of 2.1 and someone doesn't want to run that high and limits it to stock speed 1.72, if they have a thermal throttling event it will then take their desired 1.72 max and reset it to 2.1. Not what we want. Thermald on the gpad is qualcomm closed source so we can't edited out the reseting max function. There is another way, you can configure the temps at which the throttling occurs. Take a look at /system/etc/thermald-8064.conf. At the end you will see a section [pa_therm0], you can raise the threshold values 44, 47, 50 etc(doubled they are 88C, 94C, 100C, etc), but do we really want to be taking the throttling temp over the boiling point of water? I think that kind of thermal expansion and contraction is terribly hard on the solder joints.

So what other options do we have? There is open source thermal. We can use one of those, but it's only advantage is it doesnt mess with your desired max freq, do avoid throttling with it you still have to set over 100C. To put it in perspective look at some other devices out there, want to know where they throttle? ~70C-80C

Another option lower the voltage. I was able to shave 25mv off the upper clocks, and it's not enough to get to the next freq step and still be under the thermal throttle.

The only thing that held a little promise was turbo boost. If you use an open source thermal engine, you code it to run at a max freq and when more then 2 cores go active your max CPU speed comes down(Pretty much like Intel turbo). That worked OK, I was having issues with on demand governor and this, but the others worked OK. But 2 cores at 2.1 isn't noticeably faster, and in benchmarks you don't get this when other cores come on line.

It's sad but it's just too hot, my little bump to 1.782 from 1.728 was only because it is free with no increase to voltage. I'm not stepping in to the debate about if CPU overclocking is good, bad, worthless, great or not. I will say that the tablet doesn't feel any different at the elevated speeds(2.1), 1.782 is plenty fast. GPU overclock is another story, there is some measurable gain in the form of frame rate.

If you made it through all that then well you are a swell person and maybe someone that can help me out. I have a new kernel I need some help testing.

20d source
4.9.1 linaro
kernel mode neon
LZ4 compressed kernel
ROW scheduler
Intellidemand gov
init.d support added to your current ramdisk(warning if you have your own init.d folder back it up first and it may mess with your busybox install)
lower the min display brightness(at 0% it should be darker)
change kcal control method(try 95, 95, 93 in Faux app if you have it)
Intelli thermal
GPU overclock to 487 by default(Need gamers to test this)
Intelli plug
exfat-nofuse(replaces LG module)
-12mv on all CPU speeds, -50mv at 162Mhz

Source: https://github.com/aicjofs/android_kernel_lge_v500_20d

Really need to test the governors, schedulers. Turn off mpdecsion and thermal, and use intelli plug and intellithermal. Game on the GPU, check init.d install. Not a requirement as it costs money but the Faux app is the best interface, trickster is OK but missing gamma.

So far just for the stock ROM and compatibles. Sorry I spent too much time on gamma and haven't done CM. But @oubeichen and @ckret are taking care of you there. Same installer for now I'll change it up later, use "AIC kernel for stock"

MAKE A BACK OF SYSTEM AND BOOT FIRST!!! then download and try.

http://nabtabhacks.com/downloads/AICbeta2.zip

Should be safe but this kernel is BETA. I did have a lockup using ART and benchmarking, don't know if that was fluke.
Is there a easy way to revert the kernel? Thank you for all your doing for us G Pad owners

aicjofs
Old
(Last edited by aicjofs; 29th July 2014 at 11:06 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanoc View Post
Is there a easy way to revert the kernel? Thank you for all your doing for us G Pad owners
Not sure which version LRS is based on these days but for 20B and 20D stock

20B
http://nabtabhacks.com/downloads/sto..._flashable.zip

20D

EDIT:

For the record this is what I am using

CPU 162-1782
Disable MPdescion enable Intelliplug
For Intelliplug:
-Touch boost on
-Screen Off 162000(maybe need to bump up 384000 for music)
-Hysteresis 8
-Profile Balanced(4)
-Threshold 775
Voltage lowered at 162000 to 750000(This is PVS bin and different for different devices so try and take 35,000 off your default)
Disable thernald, enable intellitthermal
For I/O I switch between ROW and FIOPS
Color is temp 255, 255, 255, gamma 95, 95, 93
Read my less technical and uncensored ramblings on Nabi Tablet modding
Nab Tab Hacks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

meanoc
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
Not sure which version LRS is based on these days but for 20B and 20D stock

20B

20D
Thanks

SPBoss
Old
(Last edited by SPBoss; 29th July 2014 at 11:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 378
Decent improvement on beta with row scheduler (readahead changed to 1024) using fauxclock paid app.

Also how to set correct values for thermal?

@aicjofs great work so far bro, would love if you could implement Logitech Unifying wireless receivers support like the dev had in this kernel. It will let us use wireless keyboards/mice with otg.

here is link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2684085
The Following User Says Thank You to SPBoss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aicjofs
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPBoss View Post
Decent improvement on beta with row scheduler (readahead changed to 1024) using fauxclock paid app.

Also how to set correct values for thermal?

@aicjofs great work so far bro, would love if you could implement Logitech Unifying wireless receivers support like the dev had in this kernel. It will let us use wireless keyboards/mice with otg.

here is link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2684085
Oops left that out. To emulate stock, set frequency throttle to 94. It works good and lower temps fast so core throttle can be any higher value. I set 104.
Read my less technical and uncensored ramblings on Nabi Tablet modding
Nab Tab Hacks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

whoamigriffiths
Old
(Last edited by whoamigriffiths; Yesterday at 11:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 637
Doh, I missed it's for stock 😚😊

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."