Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,354 Members 44,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Possible to root without unlocking bootloader?

Tip us?

thecrunked
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q]Possible to root without unlocking bootloader?

my concern is that I don't want to lose TA/DRM keys just to root. not sure exactly what Ill be missing out on without it or if i can get the functionality back. also not sure, but if i do unlock bootloader, install the custom kernal, am i free to update the device with normal updates or will that break something? sorry, i went through a lot of the threads, but the info is a bit confusing and lots of redirects thru all the different threads.

edit, if you do unlock bootloader, can you relock without those keys? just worried for warranty purposes, i.e. if i get screen creaking and then can't return it cause i wanted to root but now i cant set it back to stock

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
No, it's not confusing, it's only confusing for people who are a bit lazy to really read.

It has been very clearly stated numerous times that ATM root is only possible with unlocked bootloader and losing TA data, because for a locked-bootloader-root an exploit is needed. It's very unclear whether such an exploit will be found or whether it's even possible.

You should ask Sony - I can't imagine that the service would refuse warranty when your screen creaks, because that problem very obviously has NOTHING to do with software modifications!

The DRM keys and X-Reality engine are superfluous anyway, so losing TA data should not be a concern when unlocking.

Chefproll
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenbein1966 View Post
No, it's not confusing, it's only confusing for people who are a bit lazy to really read.
I also found different statements regarding that matter. BECAUSE I read.

Quote:
You should ask Sony - I can't imagine that the service would refuse warranty when your screen creaks, because that problem very obviously has NOTHING to do with software modifications!
Right !

Quote:
The DRM keys and X-Reality engine are superfluous anyway, so losing TA data should not be a concern when unlocking.
DRM keys are superfluous to people who don't use DRM protected services. If you don't use that services, it doesn't mean others do the same.
X-Reality is a great feature. I compared two Z2s with and without X-Reality: The benefits are real obvious, sometimes close to overwhelming.
Losing X-Reality is the one and only reason for me not to root my Z2, yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chefproll For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thecrunked
Old
(Last edited by thecrunked; 6th June 2014 at 12:42 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
thanks for the clarification. i wasn't being lazy, there are several threads that redirect to several other threads each (some of which aren't even about the z2 tablet specifically) and the message tends to get blurred after digging through several pages of threads that may or may not even have bearing on what you're trying to do.

i am assuming that without drm keys it will be impossible to return to stock (at least with working bravia engine and other protected services) would this be true? is there any work around to get these services back after you root, or are they gone forever?

also, my main reasons for wanting root are for removing restrictions on SD card, is there any non-root work arounds for this? (also xposed)

My z2 tablet should be arriving today, I am going to try to use it without root for a while to see if i can mentally deal without having xposed and full access to sdcard, hopefully i can hang, cause i'm not crazy about losing functionality (superfluous or not) forever from a brand new device i just paid lots of money for

also still trying to find clarification on updates, once unlocked & rooted can i just use regular updates or will that break the modified kernal and cause issues? i'm not sure if the modded kernals out there are for the latest version on firmware and how that is handled, all of my rooting experience just comes from flashing new updates of ROMs to my device (like AHRD or Hyperdrive), so i've never dealt with system updates to stock firmware while being rooted and unlocked.

Chefproll
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrunked View Post
... and the message tends to get blurred after digging through several pages of threads that may or may not even have bearing on what you're trying to do.
Exactly.

Quote:
i am assuming that without drm keys it will be impossible to return to stock (at least with working bravia engine and other protected services) would this be true? is there any work around to get these services back after you root, or are they gone forever?
No workaround, yet, keys and X-Reality seem to be gone forever.
I just don't understand why Sony doesn't provide a means for backing up that data...

Quote:
also, my main reasons for wanting root are for removing restrictions on SD card, is there any non-root work arounds for this? (also xposed)
Nothing known at present. :/

Quote:
also still trying to find clarification on updates, once unlocked & rooted can i just use regular updates or will that break the modified kernal and cause issues?
No regular updates, you need to flash new firmware manually.

Note: I did not root my Z2, yet - because I don't want to lose DRM keys and X-Reality, so my answers are not based on my own experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chefproll For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joth135
Old
Thanks Meter 4
copy this into the search forums
Rooting Sony tablet z2 keeping warranty with locked bootloader

meteor999
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Just reading this thread and something caught my attention; you lose x reality when you root.. Now if I root and keep stock firmware, I would assume I still have x reality. Please correct me if I'm wrong

degraaff
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor999 View Post
Just reading this thread and something caught my attention; you lose x reality when you root.. Now if I root and keep stock firmware, I would assume I still have x reality. Please correct me if I'm wrong
You don't need to unlock your bootloader anymore (for .402 firmware), so you won't lose anything except for a security measurement

joth135
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrunked View Post
my concern is that I don't want to lose TA/DRM keys just to root. not sure exactly what Ill be missing out on without it or if i can get the functionality back. also not sure, but if i do unlock bootloader, install the custom kernal, am i free to update the device with normal updates or will that break something? sorry, i went through a lot of the threads, but the info is a bit confusing and lots of redirects thru all the different threads.

edit, if you do unlock bootloader, can you relock without those keys? just worried for warranty purposes, i.e. if i get screen creaking and then can't return it cause i wanted to root but now i cant set it back to stock
search "Rooting Sony tablet z2 keeping warranty with locked bootloader" in the forum search bar
I've rooted mine with a locked bootloader.

cmd-line34
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Currently, probably the easiest way to root it is to just use Towelroot. You will need to download the APK (via clicking the red icon on the site), save the APK, and install it. root it (via the application you just installed, just click the button!), then go over to the Google Play Store and download SuperSU (or any other root manager, altough it seems that SuperSU stands the most supported to date). It will probably ask you to update your SU binary (if it gives you an error doing so, just reboot the device). Once your rooted, head over to the Sony TA Backup forum, download the program (as I know of it only works on MS Windows), run it, and backup your TA's. If you ever need to restore your TA's, just run the script again and follow the menu in the command prompt to restore it (if I am correct it relocks the bootloader too).

Last note, if you need to restore your TA's, whatever you do, DO NOT USE SOMEONE ELSES! This will brick your device as I have read from many.

Also, if you want to unlock the bootloader, you can head over to http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/ and unlock it, however I would use it for a few months just in case if you can't relock it. I would recommend that you do not unlock it until you back up your TA's.

Hope this will save a few hours for some! If anyone wants me to clear up on something too you can ask.