Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 52,970 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
Announcement from Hashcode: Safestrap: Custom Recovery for Locked Devices!

[RECOVERY LOCKED/NCG] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-26 B03]

Tip us?

Zoandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Where does TWRP get the 8 digit identifier number it uses in the path TWRP/BACKUPS/nnnnnnnn when you make a nandroid? I know the number is unique to each device, and I thought I had figured this out once, but I am not able to see where it got the number it is using on my S5?

I'm helping someone whose Safestrap installation has TWRP not seeing the stock ROM nandroid he made on his S5, and I am wondering if it has to do with this number possibly getting changed somehow for him. He can see the nandroid using a file exploring app, right were it needs to be, but TWRP isn't seeing it for some reason.
- Zoandroid -

Samsung Galaxy S5 - Rooted / Safestrapped.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - Rooted Stock.
VZW Samsung GS III - Rooted JB 4.1.2.
Wife's Kindle Fire - Stock.

Savagerun
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandroid View Post
Where does TWRP get the 8 digit identifier number it uses in the path TWRP/BACKUPS/nnnnnnnn when you make a nandroid? I know the number is unique to each device, and I thought I had figured this out once, but I am not able to see where it got the number it is using on my S5?

I'm helping someone whose Safestrap installation has TWRP not seeing the stock ROM nandroid he made on his S5, and I am wondering if it has to do with this number possibly getting changed somehow for him. He can see the nandroid using a file exploring app, right were it needs to be, but TWRP isn't seeing it for some reason.
Check the following thread link your friend may be having the same problem Can't restore previous backup from Safestrapů | Verizon Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forum
http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...phone-t2827205

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Savagerun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zoandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagerun View Post
Check the following thread link your friend may be having the same problem Can't restore previous backup from Safestrapů | Verizon Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forum
http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...phone-t2827205

Thanks!

I also now remember that the TWRP identifer code is in fact the serial number of the device. One can access the number without pulling their battery using an app called Phone INFO *SAMSUNG* by VNDNGUYEN from the Store.

In the post you linked, the fellow had gotten a replacement phone, which of course has a different serial number. Apparently TWRP will only "see" nandroids made with the serial number of the device on which TWRP is running, so it is understandable what happened there. He was able to copy the actual nandroid folder to the new serial number folder and use it.

In our case, TWRP is not seeing a backup it had previously made on the very same phone. Not sure what to make of that, as I would not expect a serial number to somehow change. But I suggested the same fix. Make a new nandroid, then put the originial nandroid with it in the same folder TWRP is currently using, and it should see them both.
- Zoandroid -

Savagerun
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandroid View Post
Thanks!

I also now remember that the TWRP identifer code is in fact the serial number of the device. One can access the number without pulling their battery using an app called Phone INFO *SAMSUNG* by VNDNGUYEN from the Store.

In the post you linked, the fellow had gotten a replacement phone, which of course has a different serial number. Apparently TWRP will only "see" nandroids made with the serial number of the device on which TWRP is running, so it is understandable what happened there. He was able to copy the actual nandroid folder to the new serial number folder and use it.

In our case, TWRP is not seeing a backup it had previously made on the very same phone. Not sure what to make of that, as I would not expect a serial number to somehow change. But I suggested the same fix. Make a new nandroid, then put the originial nandroid with it in the same folder TWRP is currently using, and it should see them both.
Yeah im not sure why that would happen but you'd think making another nandroid and placing the original one in the same folder would solve the problem. Keep us posted on the results just in case someone else runs into the same issue.

Zoandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagerun View Post
Yeah im not sure why that would happen but you'd think making another nandroid and placing the original one in the same folder would solve the problem. Keep us posted on the results just in case someone else runs into the same issue.

Will do.
- Zoandroid -

schlagelfarken
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrel View Post
In order for me to continue accessing my Exchange email, my company is demanding that I encrypt and password protect my phone. Are there any issues with doing this? I have SS already installed. Any issues with encrypting my SD card too? Any issues with future updates with an encrypted phone?
If you encrypt, don't use SS or you'll likely end up in a bootloop. Uninstall SS before you encrypt.