Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] D802T How do I root and install custom recovery?

Tip us?

poochewer
Old
(Last edited by poochewer; 7th July 2014 at 10:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
Pooch, your right about the Aussie version being different. My phone had D802T software but was still a standard d802. Since that's the case, you can flash the jb D80210TA kdz which was your original rom and now you can flash your recovery the old way. I really hope this works for you now, you've been struggling with this for ages.
I appreciate your help mate, but I already have my original nandroid restored, which has recovery. What I really want is to have kk with recovery so that I can use dorimanx kitkat kernel, and avail myself of the advantages of that kernel on kitkat. There must be a way of doing it.surely someone has done this before.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Art Vanderlay;53958275
LG G2 D802T 32g STOCK ROM 4.2.2 LAUNCHER7 DORIMANX KERNEL 3.4

Mr Majestyk
Old
Thanks Meter 8
[QUOTE=poochewer;53965084]I appreciate your help mate, but I already have my original nandroid restored, which has recovery. What I really want is to have kk with recovery so that I can use dorimanx kitkat kernel, and avail myself of the advantages of that kernel on kitkat. There must be a way of doing it.surely someone has done this before.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Art Vanderlay;53958275[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the only sure fire way to do this all is to install a D802 stock JB ROM from Europe first, but making sure to keep Aussie modem file to avoid 4G hassles. Then use the available methods to install TWRP after rooting.

I can install root easy, but haven't been game to try a recovery install on my D802T. Also is it easier to do everything while on JB first to avoid bootloader issues and then upgrade to KK last?

poochewer
Old
Thanks Meter 100
[QUOTE=Mr Majestyk;53987940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochewer View Post
I appreciate your help mate, but I already have my original nandroid restored, which has recovery. What I really want is to have kk with recovery so that I can use dorimanx kitkat kernel, and avail myself of the advantages of that kernel on kitkat. There must be a way of doing it.surely someone has done this before.

I wonder if the only sure fire way to do this all is to install a D802 stock JB ROM from Europe first, but making sure to keep Aussie modem file to avoid 4G hassles. Then use the available methods to install TWRP after rooting.

I can install root easy, but haven't been game to try a recovery install on my D802T. Also is it easier to do everything while on JB first to avoid bootloader issues and then upgrade to KK last?
if u give it a go let me know how u go.

Mr Majestyk
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Ok here's the information I have about aussie D802T variant. If you stay on JB 4.2.2 you can root and you can install custom recovery no problems. The Loki kernel exploit works fine on our D802T kernel. However, if you update to official LG KK ROM the kernel exploit canlonger be used. LG has not released kernel source code for our aussie version and probably never will. This means you can only root the ROM. If you install custom recovery, you cannot ever boot back to the screen, you will get boot loop at LG logo. So if you want custom recovery on aussie D802T you must install a custom ROM. If you are well planned you can proceed from stock KK ROM, by making sure you copy the custom ROM you want is copied to internal memory, then install TWRP, then boot to recovery and then install custom ROM. make sure the custom ROM doesn't supply a modem file, or have your aussie modem backed up so you don't have 4G issues.

You can also proceed from JB by rooting and installing recovery then installing custom ROM, but it's safer to install stock KK ROM to ensure all the partitions are properly set up for KK.

I'm still torn at the moment. I'm running stock KK and it's super smooth and my battery life is crazy good so I'm very happy for now. I've heard a lot of people that install custom ROMs on our aussie version are having random reboots. For now I will just root the stock ROM using ioroot25. Our aussie versions appear to have some difference that can't be worked out. If only LG would release kernel source code, we would probably have no issues at all. Why they don't release source for our phones is weird. I wonder if our carriers asked them not to for some reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Majestyk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

poochewer
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk View Post
Ok here's the information I have about aussie D802T variant. If you stay on JB 4.2.2 you can root and you can install custom recovery no problems. The Loki kernel exploit works fine on our D802T kernel. However, if you update to official LG KK ROM the kernel exploit canlonger be used. LG has not released kernel source code for our aussie version and probably never will. This means you can only root the ROM. If you install custom recovery, you cannot ever boot back to the screen, you will get boot loop at LG logo. So if you want custom recovery on aussie D802T you must install a custom ROM. If you are well planned you can proceed from stock KK ROM, by making sure you copy the custom ROM you want is copied to internal memory, then install TWRP, then boot to recovery and then install custom ROM. make sure the custom ROM doesn't supply a modem file, or have your aussie modem backed up so you don't have 4G issues.

You can also proceed from JB by rooting and installing recovery then installing custom ROM, but it's safer to install stock KK ROM to ensure all the partitions are properly set up for KK.

I'm still torn at the moment. I'm running stock KK and it's super smooth and my battery life is crazy good so I'm very happy for now. I've heard a lot of people that install custom ROMs on our aussie version are having random reboots. For now I will just root the stock ROM using ioroot25. Our aussie versions appear to have some difference that can't be worked out. If only LG would release kernel source code, we would probably have no issues at all. Why they don't release source for our phones is weird. I wonder if our carriers asked them not to for some reason.
Thank u so much for taking the time to explain this! It seems that nowone in the world cares about our varient. But I'm sorry to say that I tried and tried to install a custom Rom from jb and same story. It won't boot.
I hate to sound cynical but if i had known what I now know, I would never have bought an Australian model.
It's really a dilemma that I believe the g2 is the best phone on earth, but having the aussy model is driving me nuts.
My advice to any Australian out there who wants an g2 is, order it online from another country.

taithegolfer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Thank u so much for taking the time to explain this! It seems that nowone in the world cares about our varient. But I'm sorry to say that I tried and tried to install a custom Rom from jb and same story. It won't boot.
I hate to sound cynical but if i had known what I now know, I would never have bought an Australian model.
It's really a dilemma that I believe the g2 is the best phone on earth, but having the aussy model is driving me nuts.
My advice to any Australian out there who wants an g2 is, order it online from another country.
So far there is no way to install custum recovery on D802T model, is it correct?

johnms1986
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Aussie D802T

Hey guys,

I have been going from forum to forum and havent found a definitive answer anywhere.

Can someone point me in the right direction. All i want is the easiest way to root my LG G2 D802T with kitkat. All i want to install is the xdabbeb camera, because im dissapointed in the quality of the stock software.

I dont need any of the bells and whistles that come with rooting and i dont want a new rom or anything like that. All i want is the camera.

Any suggestions that will not effect the 4G or anything like that on my phone would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much.

poochewer
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnms1986 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been going from forum to forum and havent found a definitive answer anywhere.

Can someone point me in the right direction. All i want is the easiest way to root my LG G2 D802T with kitkat. All i want to install is the xdabbeb camera, because im dissapointed in the quality of the stock software.

I dont need any of the bells and whistles that come with rooting and i dont want a new rom or anything like that. All i want is the camera.

Any suggestions that will not effect the 4G or anything like that on my phone would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much.
Just use towelroot

johnms1986
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Just use towelroot
Thanks. I used ioroot. Nothing went wrong.

The xdabbeb mod for the camera is awesome and confirmed working on the D802T.