Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,106 Members 40,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GPS does not work entirely

Tip us?

koutheir
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Sign [Q] GPS does not work entirely

Hello,

First of all, I need to say I searched for weeks to solve this issue. I found no other way than posting a question. I hope someone could help me solve it. I checked the logs using "aLogcat" but nothing is relevant to the GPS. Any kind of help is welcome, I am not asking for a full step-by-step guide

* Issue: GPS cannot find my location, even when kept for long periods under clear sky (20 minutes). I tried "Faster GPS" and "GPS Status" apps to debug the thing, but useless. I simply can't get a fix.

* Infos:
Device: SGH-I337M
Baseband: I337MVLUFNE1
Kernel: 3.4.0-1529758
Build: KOT49H.I337MVLUFNE1

* /etc/gps.conf
##################################################
ENABLE_WIPER=1
LPP_PROFILE=0
DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE
A_GLONASS_POS_PROTOCOL_SELECT=0
SUPL_VER=0x10000
CAPABILITIES=0x37
NTP_SERVER=fr.pool.ntp.org
INTERMEDIATE_POS=1
XTRA_SERVER_1=(a link to xtra1 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=(a link to xtra2 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=(a link to xtra3 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
ERR_ESTIMATE=0
DEBUG_LEVEL=4
CURRENT_CARRIER=common
NMEA_PROVIDER=0
##################################################

Thank you

kevinco1
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Ever since I upgraded to KitKat months ago I've had the same problem. Location is found, but satellite will never fix which means no turn by turn navigation.

I've downloaded every GPS app that exists, calibrated the compass countless times...and still nothing. In that time, I've installed and run at least 10 different ROMs and odined to stock as well.

I'm thinking it's a hardware problem and might exchange my phone for a replacement S4. Searched for GPS/KitKat/S4 problem, but never found anything significant.
AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-I337
[AOSP] S4 Google Edition
Safestrap 3.72

koutheir
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinco1 View Post
Ever since I upgraded to KitKat months ago I've had the same problem. Location is found, but satellite will never fix which means no turn by turn navigation.

I've downloaded every GPS app that exists, calibrated the compass countless times...and still nothing. In that time, I've installed and run at least 10 different ROMs and odined to stock as well.

I'm thinking it's a hardware problem and might exchange my phone for a replacement S4. Searched for GPS/KitKat/S4 problem, but never found anything significant.
Normally, the GPS should be able to fix satellites even without Data (In Airplane mode) and without AGPS data also. But I get zero fixes whatever I try. I am trying to keep the "hardware possibility" a last resort. I am trying to find a software solution to a software triggered problem (the upgrade, it seems...).

kevinco1
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by koutheir View Post
Normally, the GPS should be able to fix satellites even without Data (In Airplane mode) and without AGPS data also. But I get zero fixes whatever I try. I am trying to keep the "hardware possibility" a last resort. I am trying to find a software solution to a software triggered problem (the upgrade, it seems...).
The fact that I have done everything possible and it still will not fix to any satellite makes me convinced this is a hardware problem.

However, since this only started when I first upgraded to KitKat (didn't take any OTAs) I'm holding out hope there is some type of fix that we're overlooking.

Any additional help or advice from anyone else would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-I337
[AOSP] S4 Google Edition
Safestrap 3.72

koutheir
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I finally resolved my issue

Current situation: GPS fixes 8 satellites out of 25 even between high buildings.

Short solution: set the right CSC for your device.
Advice: Always set the right CSC for your device, even if you happen to mess with it (which is arguably your own right as you own the device...).

Long solution:
- Backup your data and your apps. During the procedure, the device !!!WILL PERFORM A FACTORY RESET!!!
- Root your device.
- Open a terminal emulator on the device.
- Type the following commands (let the terminal application gain root access when you get prompted):
$ su
# am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.sec.android.Preconfig/com.sec.android.Preconfig.Preconfig
- You will get a window with a list of CSC codes. Select the one corresponding to your device and stock firmware, and push the button INSTALL.
- The device will reboot, and !!!WILL PERFORM A FACTORY RESET!!!
- That's all folks.
- (Now go mess up things again, and again...)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to koutheir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MAD12
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koutheir View Post
I finally resolved my issue

Current situation: GPS fixes 8 satellites out of 25 even between high buildings.

Short solution: set the right CSC for your device.
Advice: Always set the right CSC for your device, even if you happen to mess with it (which is arguably your own right as you own the device...).

Long solution:
- Backup your data and your apps. During the procedure, the device !!!WILL PERFORM A FACTORY RESET!!!
- Root your device.
- Open a terminal emulator on the device.
- Type the following commands (let the terminal application gain root access when you get prompted):
$ su
# am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.sec.android.Preconfig/com.sec.android.Preconfig.Preconfig
- You will get a window with a list of CSC codes. Select the one corresponding to your device and stock firmware, and push the button INSTALL.
- The device will reboot, and !!!WILL PERFORM A FACTORY RESET!!!
- That's all folks.
- (Now go mess up things again, and again...)
Thanks Bro. Appreciate your help.
Sent from my INSANE Galaxy S4

HAVOK83
Old
Thanks Meter 41
ive been having gps issues as well and attempted to fix by using the android terminal csc but nothing comes up after i enter those lines..

HAVOK83
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Anybody?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app