Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 39,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Desire Z Funeral Thread

Tip us?

riahc3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 137
Default HTC Desire Z Funeral Thread

Today, Google announced "Android L" which officially switches to the Android Runtime from Dalvik to Google's ART which our Desire Z has yet to successfully run and switch to.

Therefore, even with the last breaths it has in 4.3.x and 4.4.x, we will basically now declare the Desire Z on life support.

It was a great and one of a kind phone. Between it and the Motorola Droid 4, it was the best of its dying bread.

The future? Seeing as companies such as HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc. have forgotten about the great market of QWERTY phones, we will now turn to Phonebloks in hope of they putting out a great product and reviving the QWERTY scene.

Best of hope to all my Desire Zs friends and please leave your words of condolences
THE HTC DESIRE Z/G2/VISION IS NOT A "4G" PHONE.
Read what is 4G: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riahc3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gosthy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It lived a longer life than most phones, but everything has to end. Mine has stared falling apart already. (W key fell down ) I'd definetly miss the dpad, and the keyboard was pretty great for gaming as well.

phizi0n
Old
(Last edited by phizi0n; 4th July 2014 at 09:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
It's really disappointing that nobody wants to produce a quadcore slider with a decent 720p+ display. I've been considering the HTC Doubleshot since it came out but I really want more screen resolution, even if just qHD. Unfortunately all the qHD sliders are by Motorola and locked to Verizon which afaict will not allow them to work on other US carriers even after you unlock them.

Bonusbartus
Old
(Last edited by Bonusbartus; 7th July 2014 at 09:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 10
just

my DZ is really falling apart, I already used it far too long, but as it is the last of its kind I couldn't get myself to buy something inferior.
I replaced the battery once, and I replaced the digitizer last october..
Now it is failing, the software won't see anymore updates, and the tiny amount of RAM is really killing it.
I don't care about stupidly large screens with insane number of pixels, I don't even really care about getting more cores in it's CPU,
the DZ on 1.4GHz seems to do everything I want... just with a lack of ram. I won't care if a new phone has all those irrelevant features I never use,
like a Gigapixel camera, a secondary camera, beats audio, HDMI connectiviry, 4G, NFC,

The only things I'd want on a new phone are qwerty keyboard, a scrollball, an microSD slot, a nice formfactor (4.3'' max) and decent build quality...
some things seem to be just too much to ask for.

It really is a shame, as this device is almost 4 years old now, which means ANCIENT in the current market,
but it really is the only phone out there having exactly what is needed for an allround device.

ps, the only phone I've found which seems somewhat ok to me is the Sony Experia Z1 Compact.. any comments on this?
Devices:
Nexus 5 16 GB: Stock Rom, Rooted

HTC Desire Z: [Flinny] Andromadus - CM11.0 [alpha3] with Novalauncher - Best phone ever

HTC Raphael: Latest EnergyRom WM6.5.5 Sense 2.5 cookie
Sold
HTC Kaiser: Phoenix 3.1 WM6.5
Radio 1.65.21.36
HardSPL 3.29 Cmonex
Sold
Imate SP3 WM6 (2x fully functional)
HTC Universal wm6 RIP (fell with carholder from windshield... display cracked)
HTC Wizard wm6 RIP (display cracked)
Nokia 6600 RIP

bradley_e_smith
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonusbartus View Post
just

my DZ is really falling apart, I already used it far too long, but as it is the last of its kind I couldn't get myself to buy something inferior.
I replaced the battery once, and I replaced the digitizer last october..
Now it is failing, the software won't see anymore updates, and the tiny amount of RAM is really killing it.
I don't care about stupidly large screens with insane number of pixels, I don't even really care about getting more cores in it's CPU,
the DZ on 1.4GHz seems to do everything I want... just with a lack of ram. I won't care if a new phone has all those irrelevant features I never use,
like a Gigapixel camera, a secondary camera, beats audio, HDMI connectiviry, 4G, NFC,

The only things I'd want on a new phone are qwerty keyboard, a scrollball, an microSD slot, a nice formfactor (4.3'' max) and decent build quality...
some things seem to be just too much to ask for.

It really is a shame, as this device is almost 4 years old now, which means ANCIENT in the current market,
but it really is the only phone out there having exactly what is needed for an allround device.

ps, the only phone I've found which seems somewhat ok to me is the Sony Experia Z1 Compact.. any comments on this?
I also liked the Z1 Compact, the Z2 Compact never came to the US (nor are the frequencies correct for us), I am hoping that the Z3 Compact does make it way here.
=======
Bradley Smith - T-mobile G2

fireball0093
Old
Thanks Meter 51
If turning on ART in CyanogenMod for 4.4.x counts, mine runs perfectly normal o.o
Check out my HTC Desire Z/T-Mobile G2 YouTube thread Here!
Current Phone: Google Nexus 4. Android L or OmniRom.
Current ROM on HTC Desire Z: Either G2 Bliss v1.0.1, or Sensei v1.3.x

misbehave
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Mine is still in great shape ( I took great care of it. My precious!)
I am still using it everyday and loving it.
I almost replaced it with the LG Optimus F3Q a few months ago due to the reoccuring out of storage problem annoyed the hell out of me.
But then setting up ext2 partition on SD card and then installing Link2sd breath new life to this device and now I am happy with its performance again.
I simply refuse to let go of this excellent phone. I can live with just using android 2.3 and no LTE. It is already doing almost everything I want to on a smartphone.