Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,937 Members 43,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

firmware 6.3.3 -=Post your rooting progress here=-

Tip us?
 
sd_shadow
Old
#31  
sd_shadow's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,361
Posts: 3,606
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Dakota

 
DONATE TO ME
[How To][Root]Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3 with saferoot with video
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future
 
sd_shadow
Old
#32  
sd_shadow's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,361
Posts: 3,606
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Dakota

 
DONATE TO ME
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2817362

[HOW-TO] FireFireFire and TWRP on 6.3.3 WITHOUT A FACTORY CABLE!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Astrobrewer
Old
#33  
Astrobrewer's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jul 2010
Thumbs up This works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2817362

[HOW-TO] FireFireFire and TWRP on 6.3.3 WITHOUT A FACTORY CABLE!
I almost gave up hope on getting 6.3.3 KF rooted without having to order a factory cable and then saw this. This works great! Thanks!
 
Lunarino
Old
#34  
Lunarino's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 41
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Default Kindle Fire 6.3.3 Success with no Factory Cable

Many thanks to sd_shadow for the most excellent posts helping me to make things go relatively smoothly

Using these for guidance
  • [How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3 [2014]
  • [GUIDE] Downgrade stock 6.3.3 to rootable 6.3.2
  • Flashing FFF and TWRP without Fastboot Cable
were all HUGELY instrumental in getting me this far. I'm kinda dense so the videos in particular allowed me to proceed with much more confidence.

I'd like to try and take my success one step further by attempting OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [2014-05-08]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_po...ature=youtu.be
While using these locations for reference
Unfortunately I've hit a snag while following along VERY carefully step-b-step. After typing in my first command the result was different than seen on the example command prompt on screen. I posted a question there but am wondering where exactly would be the best place for people to reach out for assistance with this project.

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated, Thanks
 
sd_shadow
Old
#35  
sd_shadow's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,361
Posts: 3,606
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Dakota

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarino View Post
Many thanks to sd_shadow for the most excellent posts helping me to make things go relatively smoothly

Using these for guidance
  • [How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3 [2014]
  • [GUIDE] Downgrade stock 6.3.3 to rootable 6.3.2
  • Flashing FFF and TWRP without Fastboot Cable
were all HUGELY instrumental in getting me this far. I'm kinda dense so the videos in particular allowed me to proceed with much more confidence.

I'd like to try and take my success one step further by attempting OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [2014-05-08]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_po...ature=youtu.be
While using these locations for reference
Unfortunately I've hit a snag while following along VERY carefully step-b-step. After typing in my first command the result was different than seen on the example command prompt on screen. I posted a question there but am wondering where exactly would be the best place for people to reach out for assistance with this project.

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated, Thanks
This is official Q&A/T thread for OtterX Project Project OtterX: New Direction
Or you can start your own thread in Kindle Fire Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting
If your the one who posted Shell was $ not # , I replied that it means adb does not have root access, could be because kindle is not rooted.
enter command exit
enter command adb devices
should get something like 12345679 recovery
then try to push a file any file like a text file needs to be in same folder as adb, if name is test.txt
enter command adb push test.txt /sdcard
should say several things like sending and success
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Lunarino
Old
#36  
Lunarino's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 41
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Default Thanks a MILLION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
This is official Q&A/T thread for OtterX Project Project OtterX: New Direction
Or you can start your own thread in Kindle Fire Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting
If your the one who posted Shell was $ not # , I replied that it means adb does not have root access, could be because kindle is not rooted.
enter command exit
enter command adb devices
should get something like 12345679 recovery
then try to push a file any file like a text file needs to be in same folder as adb, if name is test.txt
enter command adb push test.txt /sdcard
should say several things like sending and success
I'm looking forward to following the suggestions offered and continuing this adventure.
 
Lunarino
Old
#37  
Lunarino's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 41
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Unhappy Having trouble setting up for a custom ROM - OtterX

It was suggested I look into "Project OtterX" It looks REALLY exciting.

I am having trouble laying the foundation before I go forward. (Backing up my existing partitions) Otterx uses an improved partition space structure that I feel makes a lot of sense.

I'm getting an error message after typing in the first command so I'm stuck.

After entering the command "adb shell" I get the "~ # ←[6n prompt"
Then back to
INSTALLATION:
1. [OPTIONAL-RECOMMENDED] Make sure to backup your vital partitions via from recovery via adb like so:
Code: Select Code
adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 of=/sdcard/boot0.bin" - it returned the following:
dd: can't open '/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0': No such file or directory

Further details from the Q&A Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=306
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=312

I'm feeling so lost and frustrated that I am considering moving forward without making those backups. But I do have serious doubts for success considering my failures thus far.

Any ideas on where I can read up more on this issue in order to make some progress?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes