Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can't Connect to WiFi Network That's Not Broadcasting SSID

OP Apota

5th May 2014, 07:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

114 posts
More
I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S5 and I have a Western Digital My Net N750 Router. I have SSID Broadcast Disabled and the S5 won't connect. If I start broadcasting the SSID it has no problems connecting.

I have over 20 other devices that have no problems connecting with the SSID disabled, so I don't understand why the S5 can't do it. Even my 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus has no problems connecting with SSID disabled.

I called Verizon and they said they haven't heard of this problem before and that the phone is defective and to return it for a replacement but I have a feeling I'll have the same problem with the replacement phone. I've searched Google trying to find people with similar problems but I can't find any other posts. Can you please help me! Thanks so much.
5th May 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag Lansing MI
Thanks Meter: 211

599 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apota

I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S5 and I have a Western Digital My Net N750 Router. I have SSID Broadcast Disabled and the S5 won't connect. If I start broadcasting the SSID it has no problems connecting.

I have over 20 other devices that have no problems connecting with the SSID disabled, so I don't understand why the S5 can't do it. Even my 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus has no problems connecting with SSID disabled.

I called Verizon and they said they haven't heard of this problem before and that the phone is defective and to return it for a replacement but I have a feeling I'll have the same problem with the replacement phone. I've searched Google trying to find people with similar problems but I can't find any other posts. Can you please help me! Thanks so much.

Perhaps so, but if you don't you won't know for sure. You can try to get it working, but if you exchange and it still continues to not work, then Verizon has it on the books that you had a defective device, and they can start working on fixing that silly problem.
5th May 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

114 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprice8

Perhaps so, but if you don't you won't know for sure. You can try to get it working, but if you exchange and it still continues to not work, then Verizon has it on the books that you had a defective device, and they can start working on fixing that silly problem.

I was hoping someone with the same phone can test it to see if they have the same issues. I'm going to do a factory reset right now to see what happens for troubleshooting purposes. That's also what Verizon recommended that I do. Then I'm going to Verizon to exchange it. If someone else with the same phone can test it to see if it works on your phone or not I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks so much!
5th May 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

114 posts
More
I wonder if it's a compatibility issue with my router. Maybe I should go try it on someone elses router and not broadcast their SSID and see what happens. That will help me determine if my phones defective, or if it's a compatibility issue, etc.

I'll still do a factory reset and replace the phone if I still have problems to see what those results are too. It would also be helpful if people with the same phone tested it out to see what their results are. Thanks!
6th May 2014, 01:42 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 6

75 posts
Quote:

I wonder if it's a compatibility issue with my router. Maybe I should go try it on someone elses router and not broadcast their SSID and see what happens. That will help me determine if my phones defective, or if it's a compatibility issue, etc.

I'll still do a factory reset and replace the phone if I still have problems to see what those results are too. It would also be helpful if people with the same phone tested it out to see what their results are. Thanks!

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and have zero issues connecting to my home network where the SSID is not being broadcast.

Dave
6th May 2014, 11:32 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

114 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and have zero issues connecting to my home network where the SSID is not being broadcast.

Dave

Thanks for the information. To help me trouble shoot it did you connect 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? What's the make & model of your router? I'm trying to figure out if my phone is defective or it'a a compatibility issue with my router. I'm trying to connect 5Ghz so maybe I'll try 2.4Ghz now. I'll also try connecting with someone else's router. Thanks!
20th May 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #7  
Flag Chicago Suburbs

1 posts
More
Try adding the network manually
Quote:

I had this same issue. It would happen if I had the SSID broadcasting, connected my S5, then turned off the broadcast on the router. It wouldn't work if the phone had found the network through a scan. I got mine to work (with my Netgear R6250) by adding wireless network manually on the phone. Hope this helps you, too.
1st August 2014, 07:39 PM   |  #8  
Flag Tennessee

42 posts
More
Any resolution on this? I have the same issue. Since I'm rooted and happy, I really don't want to return my phone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ssid broadcast disabled can't connect
Previous Thread Next Thread