[Q] LTE preferred

OP Gnarfsan

3rd April 2014, 07:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 200

810 posts
I have huge LTE issues. The coverage where I live is amazing, but my phone will not prefer LTE no matter what I do. Does the phone software just suck or is there something I can do?

LTE only - works, but then I cannot make or receive calls. All other modes will prefer 5.9 bars of 3G over 5.8 bars of LTE. Which doesn't make any sense.

Btw I am on CloudyPro II but I don't think it is a ROM issue because I never had had the phone prefer LTE even though I have almost max LTE everywhere.

I have also tried with fast dormancy enabled and disabled. It makes no difference.

Is there a way to make this phone prefer LTE?
Last edited by Gnarfsan; 3rd April 2014 at 07:26 AM.
3rd April 2014, 07:21 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

139 posts
Same problem here. Even though i got 4g on my place, it will connect on edge or 3g. Sometimes i got no signal at all. I dont have thos problem on JB. Im on rooted stock KK international. Is this a kernel or baseband issue?

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
3rd April 2014, 07:23 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

810 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbeck

Same problem here. Even though i got 4g on my place, it will connect on edge or 3g. Sometimes i got no signal at all. I dont have thos problem on JB. Im on rooted stock KK international. Is this a kernel or baseband issue?

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hmmm... I had the same problem on JB stock...
3rd April 2014, 07:32 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

810 posts
Another thing that I noticed is that if I for instance set this phone to LTE/GSM/WCDMA it will go nuts. Sometimes changing between H and 3G almost every second. Just back and forth.

It is almost as if this phone will poll the network several times each second and then prefer the strongest signal while completely disregarding data speed.
4th April 2014, 03:15 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 223

953 posts
First, why are creating new threads when already exist similar topics? Do you read old topics? Maybe it has contained answer
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2474244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarfsan

Another thing that I noticed is that if I for instance set this phone to LTE/GSM/WCDMA it will go nuts. Sometimes changing between H and 3G almost every second. Just back and forth.

It is almost as if this phone will poll the network several times each second and then prefer the strongest signal while completely disregarding data speed.

And what could it possibly do? You prefer it to connect to some 5miles fay away LTE cell only if it's speed is faster but your modem will then constantly drop packet and reestablish connection to drain the battery? Or should phone grab a nearest and most powerful signal from 3G cell?

And third, wait for Kitkat, it contains a newer 190084 baseband, maybe it will relieve your pains

Then again, why do you complain here instead of going straight to you operator office? It surely is their fault to tweak their cell wrongfully. We can't change their settings

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Almost forgot, read this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660471
4th April 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

810 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison

Then again, why do you complain here instead of going straight to you operator office? It surely is their fault to tweak their cell wrongfully. We can't change their settings

I have tried with different basebands and in case you didn't read my first post I have full LTE signal (6 of 6 bars) if I force it to pick LTE only. If I don't, it will pick 6 Bars H/3G.
I have also tried many different ROMs and I have checked the settings of the Sim card. It is set to prefer LTE.

Btw, did you read the last post in the thread that you linked to?
Last edited by Gnarfsan; 4th April 2014 at 09:25 PM.
4th April 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

810 posts
With LTE i get a ping of 34 ms and 15/5 Mbps. But the phone will pick a HSDPA connection with 47 ms ping and 6/1 Mbps.

And I am on the stock KitKat baseband but like I said I had the same issue on JB

If I force it in my office downtown I get up to 70 Mbps. And as soon as I switch back to default settings (if I boot) I go back to good old HSDPA if the phone is in a good mood. Otherwise I get 3G.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by Gnarfsan; 4th April 2014 at 09:47 PM.
1st August 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I have the same issue, I don't get why WCDMA preferred exists and not an LTE preferred (in *#*#4636#*#*). I'm running stock everything, only thing I've done is rooted, and I'm updated to the lastest firmware with Knockcode that T-Mobile pushed out.

Best way to discribe it is the phone gets "stuck" on whatever band it falls on. If my LTE is weak, it will fall back on 3G or 2G and just stay there - it seems like networks aren't prioritized. The phone should (in a perfect world) look for 1) LTE, 2) WCDMA, and then 3) GSM in that order and only pass one over if weak or doesn't exist, and should it pick up a higher ranked connection it should switch back. It seems the LG G2's just don't... If it falls back on 2G it's perfectly happy staying there until force it back to something else (default mode LTE/GSM/WCDMA) and it's rather annoying. LTE only is viable only when T-Mobile enables VoLTE on the G2's, but as of right now it stops all calls from happening, and I can't even change my phone to only use LTE/WCDMA, because where I work we just got a tower upgrade to LTE and they took the 3G offline, so calls still won't go through since it has to fall back to 2G.

I'll give Samsung some credit when I had my S3 and S4 on AT&T they would always follow the pecking order of what I stated above (in a perfect world) and I never had an issue, but the G2 blows the S4 out the water in performance in my opinion.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread