Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,247 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CM11 Samsung Galaxy S4 Compass issue

Tip us?

thekubiaks
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] CM11 Samsung Galaxy S4 Compass issue

I'm running the 2014 - 01 - 05 nightly on my Samsung Galaxy S4 M919. The compass works on some apps but not on others. I thought it was hardware until I found that the gyros work in all axis for games such as F-Sim and compass apps such as Advanced Compass. BUT, in the app GPS Status & toolbox, the compass and pitch and roll are locked to zero, calibration had no effect. Also the app Google maps shows the compass icon locked to North and will not function with rotation.

Is there something in CM11 that changes the way the accelerometers communicate with apps and some of them can interpret the data??

Cheers

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
I'm running the 2014 - 01 - 05 nightly on my Samsung Galaxy S4 M919. The compass works on some apps but not on others. I thought it was hardware until I found that the gyros work in all axis for games such as F-Sim and compass apps such as Advanced Compass. BUT, in the app GPS Status & toolbox, the compass and pitch and roll are locked to zero, calibration had no effect. Also the app Google maps shows the compass icon locked to North and will not function with rotation.

Is there something in CM11 that changes the way the accelerometers communicate with apps and some of them can interpret the data??

Cheers
It's possible that the app that isn't working isn't compatible with KitKat ROMS yet.

Not all apps have been updated.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

vk2bea
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post

Cheers
Yes, I see this too. In maps the compass works after about 10-15 seconds. As you say, the compass in "GPS Status" seems locked.
I don't see much traffic about this problem and I wonder if it is an S4 only issue (I'm using the tmo version jfltetmo).
Looking at the raw sensors in the "Sensor List" app I see the data all the time (YAS532 Magnetic sensor), so I don't think there is any hardware problem (or even low level software issue).

Yarbo
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk2bea View Post
Yes, I see this too. In maps the compass works after about 10-15 seconds. As you say, the compass in "GPS Status" seems locked.
I don't see much traffic about this problem and I wonder if it is an S4 only issue (I'm using the tmo version jfltetmo).
Looking at the raw sensors in the "Sensor List" app I see the data all the time (YAS532 Magnetic sensor), so I don't think there is any hardware problem (or even low level software issue).
I too have this problem, but it worked on CM11 with the December 2013 nightlies. It's only recently that this has been a problem for me. I am using the Rogers S4 (jfltecan) and am using the latest unified build for jflte.

MarkerB
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Running CM11 snapshot from 2014-07-08 on my Spring S4, I have serious magnetic compass issues. Either it cannot be read at all (like in GPS Test or GPS Status apps), or very interestingly reads two logical revolutions for every physical revolution (Google Maps). That is, if I point the phone north and spin it around 180 degrees to the south, Google Maps' directional indicator performs a 360 rotation. Continuing to spin the phone another 180 degrees back to north has the directional indicator performing another whole 360 rotation.

Weird, right?

The magnetic compass works perfectly in all apps under CM10.2 from 2014-01-31. I've gone back and forth between the ROMs, so I can't imagine it's a hardware issue.