Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,233 Members 51,153 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

G3 released talk thread

Tip us?

garywojdan81
Old
Thanks Meter 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_fear85 View Post
I don't see a point in upgrading since the g2 practically runs great with the LG g3 ported rom. The only thing that caught my attention was the SD card and removable battery but even that doesn't wow me enough to make the switch. I am going to stick with my g2 for as long as I can.
My thoughts as well. The only thing that even looks attractive at the moment is the opportunity to pick up an m8 for $99 because I have an upgrade to burn. A truly unlocked device is tempting and I haven't had anything HTC since an incredible, which is still working as an mp3 player.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

tmach
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_fear85 View Post
I don't see a point in upgrading since the g2 practically runs great with the LG g3 ported rom. The only thing that caught my attention was the SD card and removable battery but even that doesn't wow me enough to make the switch. I am going to stick with my g2 for as long as I can.
Totally agree. If I were going to buy a new phone right now--especially on-contract -- I'd probably go with the G3. Maybe. The G2 is still an awesome phone and now it's really cheap, too.

That said, the SD card is very tempting for two reasons: It didn't bother me at first, but I like to flash a lot of ROMs and end up doing a lot of nand backups once they're set up. I've gotten used to just keeping a stock backup on the phone at all times and moving the rest to my computer just in case. (With the G3 ROM working so well, though, I haven't needed to flash anything else for some time. Looking forward to one that came from a VZW phone!)

Second, I would like to start keeping songs on my phone again. Google Play is great, but like a lot of people my signal strength isn't what it was before the KitKat update. Also, I'm convinced VZW is having an issue near me that it isn't admitting.

Still, I bought the G2 off contract to keep my unlimited data, so unless someone made me a really good offer on it, the $600 for a G3 isn't worth it just for the SD card.

Also curious about the battery. Removable is good, but it's the same size as the G2 battery, but with a bigger/better screen to power and a (slightly) faster processor. Even though they say it's still the best battery life you can get right now, I'm interested in seeing just how long it lasts.

garywojdan81
Old
Thanks Meter 574
I've been doing a lot of reading in the G3 forums and it seems that there are some unique issues because of the screen and some prevalent temperature issues too.
Anybody hear if the G3 has the same variance in screens (jdi/lgd)? Some people seem to have a higher degree of oversharpening than others.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ToxicSkin
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I came from the G2 to the G3.I've had the G3 for about a week now. The battery (for me) lasts a little less than my G2 did post Kit Kat update. averaging 4.5hours SOT with no less than 24 hours on battery. With the screen being what it is and the way LG's new UI is its impressive that the phone lasts as long as it does. My G3 gets no warmer than my G2 did even under heavy load (non-gaming) which is saying a lot form what I have heard about others G3's. The sharpening is noticeable in all the places it has been noted but it really has not made me dislike the device at all. I notice it, but ppl that have seen my phone and are not "in the Know" have nothing but good things to say about the screen. its not an eyesore type of deal for me. It was laggy when I first got it. but after 3 days it got smoother, and smoother until the phone settled in, and its not smooth as butter. I got the phone cheap through Edge, and for the price I paid, ($120)is was worth the upgrade for me.

peek_12_21
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah I upgraded my other line to keep my unlimited and when I can switch the g3 to my line I'm gonna love it.gives the devs enough time to get a hold of what they are doing on it and maybe android L by then

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Free mobile app

SchmidtA99
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Like everyone else the G3 isn't much of an upgrade for me. If they would have had the Snapdragon 805 processor. Which has a better gpu in it. Maybe then it would have been worth it.