Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,778 Members 38,496 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S 5 Car mount

Tip us?
 
pr1vate piles
Old
#71  
pr1vate piles's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 112
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sheffield
Coming from the Galaxy S3 and had the genuine samsung mount. Now if anyone has seen the mount knows it has the usual side bits to grip the phone then some legs at bottom for extra support. Sadly with the battery flap on the S5, wouldn't work with this dock. So got cutter out, cut legs off and ended up with this. Seemed a shame to buy new mount as this one has worked fine for last couple years.

Not saying perfect, but does the job

Motorola Xoom WiFi - Retired with honours

Samsung Galaxy S III
Jellybean 4.3 - Retired July 2014

Samsung Galaxy S 5
100% stock.
 
cb1111
Old
#72  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrik View Post
I have an Airdock that I was using with my Nexus 5 and it was AMAZING. Worked like a champ and never felt like the phone was going to fall off. When I upgraded to my S5, I figured it would work just as well (considering they talk about it on the website) but I'm having no end of problems. I purchased the Qi coil from Airdock and a magnet sticker. I installed the coil and cut down the sticker so it would fit within the gasket on the inside of the back cover. The damn thing just won't stay on the dock, though. If I'm lucky, I get halfway through my drive home before it comes shooting off into my lap. So, what exactly did you do to get the S5 working well on the airdock? I'm pretty much willing to do anything to make it work at this point since it's so convenient...
Uhhh, isn't the sticker supposed to go on the outside of the case? I'm confused. You trimmed the sticker and stuck it in the wrong spot and you're complaining that it doesn't work as intended?

My house key doesn't start my car either when I put it into the cigarette lighter socket. Is my house or my car to blame?
 
shanky887614
Old
#73  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 141
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1vate piles View Post
Coming from the Galaxy S3 and had the genuine samsung mount. Now if anyone has seen the mount knows it has the usual side bits to grip the phone then some legs at bottom for extra support. Sadly with the battery flap on the S5, wouldn't work with this dock. So got cutter out, cut legs off and ended up with this. Seemed a shame to buy new mount as this one has worked fine for last couple years.

Not saying perfect, but does the job

silly put phone in upside down

it does a 360 in that case
 
Kendrik
Old
#74  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Thumbs down Angry, much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Uhhh, isn't the sticker supposed to go on the outside of the case? I'm confused. You trimmed the sticker and stuck it in the wrong spot and you're complaining that it doesn't work as intended?

My house key doesn't start my car either when I put it into the cigarette lighter socket. Is my house or my car to blame?
The reason I put it on the inside of the inside of the case was to avoid how ugly that sticker looks on the outside. I was hoping that adding a bit of magnetic force would be enough to keep it in place. I wasn't complaining, either, but looking for assistance in making use of a device I absolutely adore with my new phone. Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion, though.

As an aside, I've recently added a Diztronic Case (made especially to fit the charger back on the S5) and since it's a Matte case, I still had issues getting it to stick to the Airdock effectively. I bit the bullet and placed the Airdock sticker on the outside of the case (it doesn't look as terrible since the diztronic case is all black) and it's working great. My plan is to try and "polish" the case, though, and see if I can't make it work without the sticker. I just prefer the clean look of the case, un-marred by a goofy sticker.
 
cb1111
Old
#75  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrik View Post
The reason I put it on the inside of the inside of the case was to avoid how ugly that sticker looks on the outside. I was hoping that adding a bit of magnetic force would be enough to keep it in place. I wasn't complaining, either, but looking for assistance in making use of a device I absolutely adore with my new phone. Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion, though.

As an aside, I've recently added a Diztronic Case (made especially to fit the charger back on the S5) and since it's a Matte case, I still had issues getting it to stick to the Airdock effectively. I bit the bullet and placed the Airdock sticker on the outside of the case (it doesn't look as terrible since the diztronic case is all black) and it's working great. My plan is to try and "polish" the case, though, and see if I can't make it work without the sticker. I just prefer the clean look of the case, un-marred by a goofy sticker.
I figured as much but I've got to say that...

"but I'm having no end of problems.... The damn thing just won't stay on the dock, though. If I'm lucky, I get halfway through my drive home before it comes shooting off into my lap. So, what exactly did you do to get the S5 working well on the airdock? I'm pretty much willing to do anything to make it work at this point since it's so convenient..."

...sure sounds like a complaint.
 
Kendrik
Old
(Last edited by Kendrik; 31st July 2014 at 02:46 AM.)
#76  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
I figured as much but I've got to say that...

"but I'm having no end of problems.... The damn thing just won't stay on the dock, though. If I'm lucky, I get halfway through my drive home before it comes shooting off into my lap. So, what exactly did you do to get the S5 working well on the airdock? I'm pretty much willing to do anything to make it work at this point since it's so convenient..."

...sure sounds like a complaint.
Some of my frustration may have come through a bit more strongly than intended, but perhaps next time don't immediately jump to defensive-sounding sarcasm.

FWIW, I actually emailed the developers about the issue and got the following reply:

Quote:
The S5 is definitely a more tricky phone to get to stick to the Air Dock. The simple answer to give you is to put the magnetic sticker on the outside of your phone. Pretty much any device will stick in that configuration. That isn't always desirable for people though.
The textured back of the S5 is the main issue. The S4, with it's smooth back holds amazing.
There are a couple other things you can do to help your phone stick better. First, is to keep the face of the dock clean. As it picks up lint and small dust particles it sticks less. You can clean it with a damp cloth. Just wipe it clean and then let it air dry.
The other option you have is to get the Samsung wireless charging back cover. It has a little bit of metal in it, and the magnets of the Air Dock will pull on it a little bit more than the configuration you currently have.
The last option is to put our magnetic sticker on the back of the phone.
I've also noticed that their FAQ page has been updated to highlight the issues with the S5 sticking, something that wasn't there when I checked it out before trading in my Nexus 5 on an S5, so I'm probably not the only one who has highlighted this problem.

I forgot to mention that i initially ordered the after-market wireless charger and was using it on the standard case. I then followed the developer suggestion to clean the airdock and try the official charger cover. That worked well enough (much better than the aftermarket configuration) but I'm now trying to make the whole setup work with an aftermarket case, as well.
 
pr1vate piles
Old
#77  
pr1vate piles's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 112
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sheffield
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanky887614 View Post
silly put phone in upside down

it does a 360 in that case
Not silly at all. Tried it like that and thought it looked terrible. Plus would have blocked the headphone socket should I need to plug into stero at any point.
Motorola Xoom WiFi - Retired with honours

Samsung Galaxy S III
Jellybean 4.3 - Retired July 2014

Samsung Galaxy S 5
100% stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to pr1vate piles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cb1111
Old
#78  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrik View Post
Some of my frustration may have come through a bit more strongly than intended, but perhaps next time don't immediately jump to defensive-sounding sarcasm.

FWIW, I actually emailed the developers about the issue and got the following reply:



I've also noticed that their FAQ page has been updated to highlight the issues with the S5 sticking, something that wasn't there when I checked it out before trading in my Nexus 5 on an S5, so I'm probably not the only one who has highlighted this problem.

I forgot to mention that i initially ordered the after-market wireless charger and was using it on the standard case. I then followed the developer suggestion to clean the airdock and try the official charger cover. That worked well enough (much better than the aftermarket configuration) but I'm now trying to make the whole setup work with an aftermarket case, as well.
The developers seem very responsive. I emailed them last night to inquire if the ball on their holder is identical to Garmin's ball as I have a nice ProClip Garmin mount in my car. I expect a response later today.

The sticker may work on the inside of the aftermarket case - try taping it there with scotch tape to see if it will work.
 
cb1111
Old
#79  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
The developers seem very responsive. I emailed them last night to inquire if the ball on their holder is identical to Garmin's ball as I have a nice ProClip Garmin mount in my car. I expect a response later today.

The sticker may work on the inside of the aftermarket case - try taping it there with scotch tape to see if it will work.
I got a response as expected. The ball is identical in size to the Garmin ball.
 
Berthaconners524
Old
#80  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 75
Join Date: May 2014
I have the progrip car mount. It was only $10.

It suctions onto the dash with a suction cup, and squeezes the phone with two "claws". So far, with my otterbox, it seems to hold really well. It hasn't dropped the phone yet, even on bumpy roads. I have it inbetween my side view mirror and the steering wheel, and it fits cozily there. Out of the way, and no hassle at all.
I'm from Washington DC. I'm not exactly proud of it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes