OmniRom 4.4.4 Unofficial Nexus S 4G, Build - 1th July 2014

Search This thread

adityaxavier

Nov 29, 2010
I will definitely check that out if you are still working on this phone when 5.0 arrives. Thanks for all the work you've done.

I'll definitely work to port android 5.0 onto our nexus s 4g. The sources are well played out and would need quite few changes to make it adaptable for other versions. However I might need to work on syslinux being compatible.

Reactions: dzee206

the1dynasty

Dec 16, 2011
Guys without a logcat how am I supposed to find the issue?

However it is known that the first boot takes an incredibly long time. Mainly because the time taken to process the apps and framework.

Art is not the default in 4.4.4 and our rom. It is default in 5.0 which I would port once sources are out.

thanks... i couldn't pull a log mainly because idk how to pull one when the phone is stuck in a loop... also, i left the phone for about 15mins and still never booted up... no worries... i'm running L on my N5 and i know ART is the default, i was wondering if you somehow made it the default on this ROM since i know my N5 took almost 10mins to boot the first time...

rsriram22

Mar 18, 2013
long boot time fixed by flashing boot manually

I have experienced the 'long boot time' with the omni logo showing up but not doing anything happen. tried clean install, formatted data system partitions/ factory reset nothing worked.

Finally, I went into fastboot and flashed the boot.img manually and the system booted up in matter of seconds. (The boot.img was extracted from the ROM's zip posted in OP).

After the phone booted up fine, I went back to TWRP 2.7.1.0 and flashed gapps-minimal and the reboot was a breeze too (matter of seconds).

I am coming from stock 4.1.2.

Thought this would help someone stuck at boot logo (omni).

and, thanks OP. its a day old that i am on the july 1 build and things seem to work okay so far!

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I have experienced the 'long boot time' with the omni logo showing up but not doing anything happen. tried clean install, formatted data system partitions/ factory reset nothing worked.

Finally, I went into fastboot and flashed the boot.img manually and the system booted up in matter of seconds. (The boot.img was extracted from the ROM's zip posted in OP).

After the phone booted up fine, I went back to TWRP 2.7.1.0 and flashed gapps-minimal and the reboot was a breeze too (matter of seconds).

I am coming from stock 4.1.2.

Thought this would help someone stuck at boot logo (omni).

and, thanks OP. its a day old that i am on the july 1 build and things seem to work okay so far!

Let me try this method because I haven't gotten past the boot animation yet either.

I rolled all the way back to 4.1.1 so I could tether 4G with WifiTether app but since I barely see WiMax as it is I might as well get current

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Gray Tapatalk 2

netjetman

Jul 9, 2007
Wake Problems

My wife's phone running the newest build has the issue where it won't wake. If you leave it alone, you'll look over and see the keys are lit up dimly, and when you try to wake it, it doesn't do anything. It requires pulling the battery.

Any config changes I can make?

Scott

jamesadalpiaz

Jul 19, 2011
Heya, decided to play around with my trusty old NS4G and installed your rom. No problems on my end. Just wanted to know if you had kernel sources available. I'd like play around with it and maybe add some stuff to it.

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed it's CM11 sources.

Last edited:

mathuaerknedam

Apr 23, 2014
Feels weird compared to other devices that there is hardly a response after a new build.. Pretty demotivating :(

I'd have posted more, but I just recently got over the 10-post noob threshold, and wasn't allowed. Your work is definitely appreciated, and I intend to make a few [hopefully non-noob] comments.

Last edited:

mathuaerknedam

Apr 23, 2014
The OP now says:
Torch ( Need to wait for around a min or so for it to start turning on the torch, need to look further into this issue. )

Does this mean that if I'm patient enough, the torch should work? I've not been able to get Torch to work no matter ow long I wait. This isn't a big deal for me, but if it's supposed to work (eventually), I want to report that it isn't (for me).

Setting.Out

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
The OP now says:

Does this mean that if I'm patient enough, the torch should work? I've not been able to get Torch to work no matter ow long I wait. This isn't a big deal for me, but if it's supposed to work (eventually), I want to report that it isn't (for me).

I have a torch fix for you.. Give me a few hours to get home.. ;)

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

I used this in my CyanAOSP rom to have a working torch..

DOWNLOAD

This is a flashable zip, but you will most likely need to remove the original torch apk (or you will have two icons)

Reactions: mathuaerknedam

Setting.Out

Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
I removed the original and installed the zip, but now I don't have any Torch. I installed it again (from CWM recovery), just in case. No dice.

I'll re-upload the zip, I missed a folder.. Give me a couple minutes.. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Okay, fixed.. sorry.. :)

DOWNLOAD

Setting.Out

Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
New Problem: "The file you requested has been blocked for a violation of our Terms of Service."

Change web browser..

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Okay, I just tried the link, and it is getting blocked because it's now "private".. and it won't let me change it's privacy??..

Here's a new link..

DOWNLOAD

mathuaerknedam

Apr 23, 2014

I was just about to post that I'd tested in seven browsers on three platforms, but I checked for a new link. :)

It installed fine, and the torch app works. This is probably a noob question, but is it expected that Torch won't light up until ~5 minutes after boot? I can tap Torch right after boot and it will eventually light, or I can wait a while and then it lights as soon as I tap it. I know there's a lot still going on right after boot, but I don't see the delay when using flashlight apps from Google Play.

Setting.Out

Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
I was just about to post that I'd tested in seven browsers on three platforms, but I checked for a new link. :)

It installed fine, and the torch app works. This is probably a noob question, but is it expected that Torch won't light up until ~5 minutes after boot? I can tap Torch right after boot and it will eventually light, or I can wait a while and then it lights as soon as I tap it. I know there's a lot still going on right after boot, but I don't see the delay when using flashlight apps from Google Play.

The "app" should be instant, but if you try a quick tile it'll never work, as it's not linked..

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

The "app" should be instant, but if you try a quick tile may not work, as it's not linked..

This is the Omni torch from the non 4g crespo and it had no issues in any ROM I tried..

mathuaerknedam

Apr 23, 2014
i never knew that, gonna have to find my ns4g and get it up to date.

Did you every try different kernels with this rom?

Has *anyone* been able to demonstrate that some or all NS kernels (or all CM-based kernels for NS) are compatible with NS4g? I'll probably do some testing here, using Setting.Out's thread as a starting point, but I'd like to know what has or hasn't worked for anyone else.

Last edited:

mathuaerknedam

Apr 23, 2014
Crespo kernels work

I've been able to use Marmite 10.6, Matr1x 25 cfs and bfs, and Devil Kernel 20131025_VC. When I flash Devil kernel I see the odd message "Making marmiteInstalling Devil kernel", but it seems to work. However, neither of the Devil kernel apps I tried would recognize that Devil was running.

I tried flashing Guru 1.0, but it fails with 'assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device")=="crespo" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "crespo"' and installation aborts. I guess this isn't surprising, since my values are "crespo4g". What I don't know is if this is overly restrictive and crespo4g *should* also work, and if so, how I would go about changing the checks in the kernel zip. Maybe I should just try to flash the .img using fastboot on my PC or flash_image in my phone's terminal.

I also tried the four Air Kernel Weekly r350 kernels. While they flash without error, there are problems. JBN_BlueColor_NHB_CM and JBN_VDColor_NHB_CM booted, but failed to save screenshots. JBN_BlueColor_CM and JBN_VDColor_CM got stuck in a bootloop at "Android is upgrading... Starting Apps". When flashing the kernels I noticed a message that they were writing to /system, so I tried restoring a nandroid of /system, and that worked for JBN_VDColor_CM (which also couldn't save a screenshot). However, after flashing JBN_BlueColor_CM, /system couldn't be mounted. A reformat and nandroid restore of /system didn't resolve the problem, so I gave up. Even the Air kernels that worked didn't seem to leave much usable memory, so I'm not planning to revisit them and figure out what's wrong. I still have four working kernels to try with OmniRom 4.4.4. :)

There are still a few aosp-based kernels that require an extra step or two, and I've probably missed a few easily-flashed kernels that are worth a try. I've seen new 4.4.x rom releases for Crespo (like cm11 m9), but I've not gotten far enough to figure out how to extract a flashable kernel..

It's only been 24 hours, so I've obviously not had much of a chance to see how these work for everyday use. That comes next.

Sorry this is so long, I wanted to include enough detail for anyone who wanted to address the problems I've seen, for anyone else who wanted to try other kernels with this rom, and for my own future reference.

Top Liked Posts