Galaxy Player 4.2 Developent - Need Help!

OP CenterTurkHD

2nd August 2014, 05:32 AM   |  #11  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 148

225 posts
More
There are a limited number of guides for this process, this being the best imo. You should understand a few things if you're planning to undertake this project.
1. You cannot expect a guide for everything. Use google for any info that you need and ask devs. Search xda for threads that explain a similar problem.
2. If you don't have knowledge about the Android Build Process, some basic C knowledge, and have not even built a ROM that already has /device, /vendor etc. , I'd recommend not doing this, because even the best of devs reach problems while porting ROMs.

Sent from my XT760
The Following User Says Thank You to drakonizer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd August 2014, 08:37 AM   |  #12  
Flag Shelby
Thanks Meter: 4

45 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakonizer

There are a limited number of guides for this process, this being the best imo. You should understand a few things if you're planning to undertake this project.
1. You cannot expect a guide for everything. Use google for any info that you need and ask devs. Search xda for threads that explain a similar problem.
2. If you don't have knowledge about the Android Build Process, some basic C knowledge, and have not even built a ROM that already has /device, /vendor etc. , I'd recommend not doing this, because even the best of devs reach problems while porting ROMs.

Sent from my XT760

No, I have the knowledge(studied a bunch of stuff for hours and already have android build enviroment set up and i have a github account to access the files i need also, I have also ported using the android kitchen and a few other methods too never perfectly but i think porting it the official way would have a better result.) its just that i haven't tried porting through this method. I was following the guide all the way up until it said to get certain stuff from a file we pulled from my device using the terminal but i could never find the file. I know that repos and such go into a working folder or directory its just some stuff i just cant find.
2nd August 2014, 03:28 PM   |  #13  
Flag Bangalore

225 posts
More
Oh okay great then
Btw, porting with android kitchen and the whole copy paste the files from one ROM to the other to get port a custom ROM is TOTALLY different from what you're trying to do here.

I suggest you fork a repo from Androthan's CM11 for the 3.6 and start renaming it for us (our codename is "hugo", their's is "aalto" but the vendor is the same). If you can mention clearly what file you're not getting, and/or other problems you're facing, you can expect some help from the devs of the Galaxy Player (including all the players) community

Sent from my XT760
Last edited by drakonizer; 2nd August 2014 at 03:34 PM.
2nd August 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #14  
Flag Shelby

45 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakonizer

Oh okay great then
Btw, porting with android kitchen and the whole copy paste the files from one ROM to the other to get port a custom ROM is TOTALLY different from what you're trying to do here.

I suggest you fork a repo from Androthan's CM11 for the 3.6 and start renaming it for us (our codename is "hugo", their's is "aalto" but the vendor is the same). If you can mention clearly what file you're not getting, and/or other problems you're facing, you can expect some help from the devs of the Galaxy Player (including all the players) community

Sent from my XT760

ok i have forked the cm11 files for the 3.6 now how should i go about renaming it?(sorry for the noob question)

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsterj98

ok i have forked the cm11 files for the 3.6 now how should i go about renaming it?(sorry for the noob question)

and this is where i got lost into the guide.

[So, if you have previously installed adb onto your computer, you can use the following command to pull this file to your computer:

adb pull /system/build.prop

Once you have the file...

Write down the value of the ro.product.manufacturer parameter. This will be your vendor name. The [vendor] is the name of the manufacturer/vendor of the device. CM has established naming conventions for most major vendors, such as samsung, htc, lge, etc. Note that in these directory names, the vendor is always lowercase and contains no spaces.
Write down the value of the ro.product.device parameter. This will be your device codename. The [codename] corresponds to the project code name of the device itself. This is almost never the sales name of the device. If you have built CM before (and again, you better have!), you should be familiar with the concept of a code name for each device. Like the vendor name, the codename is always lowercase and contains no spaces.]

Where does the pulled build.prop go? and are there any specific linux programs i would need to edit this file or any other files throughout the tortorial? I have gedit installed and its met my needs so far but do i need something more advanced to accomplish my goal?
2nd August 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #15  
Flag Shelby

45 posts
More
got the repo renamed.
3rd August 2014, 06:47 AM   |  #16  
Flag Bangalore

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsterj98

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

and this is where i got lost into the guide.

[So, if you have previously installed adb onto your computer, you can use the following command to pull this file to your computer:

adb pull /system/build.prop

Once you have the file...

Write down the value of the ro.product.manufacturer parameter. This will be your vendor name. The [vendor] is the name of the manufacturer/vendor of the device. CM has established naming conventions for most major vendors, such as samsung, htc, lge, etc. Note that in these directory names, the vendor is always lowercase and contains no spaces.
Write down the value of the ro.product.device parameter. This will be your device codename. The [codename] corresponds to the project code name of the device itself. This is almost never the sales name of the device. If you have built CM before (and again, you better have!), you should be familiar with the concept of a code name for each device. Like the vendor name, the codename is always lowercase and contains no spaces.]

Where does the pulled build.prop go? and are there any specific linux programs i would need to edit this file or any other files throughout the tortorial? I have gedit installed and its met my needs so far but do i need something more advanced to accomplish my goal?

The vendor for our device is "samsung" and the codename is "hugo"
Just fyi...when you are in the linux terminal...whichever directory you are in is where the pulled build.prop goes.

Sent from my XT760
3rd August 2014, 01:22 PM   |  #17  
Flag Shelby

45 posts
More
I know I tried t post about me rereading the guide and understanding what it meant and that i have moved further into the guide but it never posted on here but i guess this whole thing was just a waste of time.
3rd August 2014, 09:25 PM   |  #18  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 8

31 posts
More
dude you should try porting from the galaxy sl i9003 because of the similar cpu stats
you would also need to create a boot image and an odin flashable recovery v 6+
Last edited by niklus101; 3rd August 2014 at 10:24 PM. Reason: more info
7th August 2014, 08:44 AM   |  #19  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 461

300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Guys, I'll rewrite the stock kernel for you for booting KitKat, just give me 1-2 weeks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Androthan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cyanogenmod, ics, samsung
Previous Thread Next Thread