Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

G2 Degrading GPS performance

OP Soundy106

7th May 2014, 07:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

201 posts
My GPS performance has been slowly getting worse and worse and I can't figure out why.

When I got the phone it would lock on to *at least* 10 out of 20+ satellites within seconds and maintain high accuracy. Over time, it's taken longer and longer to lock, uses fewer and fewer birds when it does (I'm lucky to see 6/12 most times), and loses position more easily.

I do an AGPS refresh regularly, tried it with several different app (my main one is GPS Status Unlocked), but it doesn't help. I recently received the OTA update to Kit Kat, but it made no difference either way.

Just fired up GPS Status and it shows 0/18 satellites... trying and trying but that's it. Meanwhile, just started GPS Status on my wife's Galaxy Tab 10.1, and it instantly shows 16/16. (Ooooh, and now the G2 is at 1/16).

I thought maybe the Otterbox was affecting reception but removing it makes zero difference as well.
7th May 2014, 08:52 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy106

My GPS performance has been slowly getting worse and worse and I can't figure out why.

When I got the phone it would lock on to *at least* 10 out of 20+ satellites within seconds and maintain high accuracy. Over time, it's taken longer and longer to lock, uses fewer and fewer birds when it does (I'm lucky to see 6/12 most times), and loses position more easily.

I do an AGPS refresh regularly, tried it with several different app (my main one is GPS Status Unlocked), but it doesn't help. I recently received the OTA update to Kit Kat, but it made no difference either way.

Just fired up GPS Status and it shows 0/18 satellites... trying and trying but that's it. Meanwhile, just started GPS Status on my wife's Galaxy Tab 10.1, and it instantly shows 16/16. (Ooooh, and now the G2 is at 1/16).

I thought maybe the Otterbox was affecting reception but removing it makes zero difference as well.

This is a recognised issued of LG G2. In this section there is a topic who deals about GPS issues. Search for it
7th May 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

201 posts
I did search. Got either excessive unrelated hits because the search was too broad, or nothing at all when I narrowed it down. In fact, I've searched on multiple occasions with similar non-results.

So perhaps just a link to the appropriate thread wouldn't be too much to ask.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk
7th May 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 8

79 posts
I have similar issue. At first (on stock JB) it locked in no time with great accuracy. Now on cloudypro 2.1 I have to wait for gps lock like forever (in some apps it's really fast, but for example in google maps it doesnt even get fix sometimes).

Currently I got position error shown in GPS status from 7 to 20-30m. Often speed isn't shown and when I'm not moving it shows ~5-6km/h. My father had SGS+ and from what I remember it had factory fault when due to temperature gps antenna seperated from glue and caused lack in performance. Maybe it is the same with our LG?

I dont know what's the cause, but I intend to go back to JB and see if it's gonna be any help.
8th May 2014, 01:54 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2743649

It s a very long thread, I hope it can be useful

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app
7th August 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 45

274 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestroramas

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2743649