Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,939 Members 50,275 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SIM Unlock LG G Pad 8.3 VK810 Verizon to AT&T

Tip us?

briankariu
Old
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
Default Trying to unlock

So, I got the VK810 and am trying to see if I can get data outside the US. This are some of the observations I made:
1. I got into the service menu, *#*#4636#*#* and tried to set the network band, but I a warning popped up sating that " This application does not work on this device" Possible fix is getting the testing menu from a lg g2. I am exploring the idea that it does not have GSM bands, only the LTE radios (This s a bit unlikely since LTE is a GSM technology, they would have had to go a bit far not to include GSM radios)

2. Tried editing the biuld.prop to force it to boot into WCDMA/GSM mode. No luck yet

Al this am doing on 4.2.2, if anyone has updated to kitkat, try accessing the service menu ( must download a dialer app from app store ) and set the network mode
hTC beats  DiabloIII

paperWastage
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankariu View Post
So, I got the VK810 and am trying to see if I can get data outside the US. This are some of the observations I made:
1. I got into the service menu, *#*#4636#*#* and tried to set the network band, but I a warning popped up sating that " This application does not work on this device" Possible fix is getting the testing menu from a lg g2. I am exploring the idea that it does not have GSM bands, only the LTE radios (This s a bit unlikely since LTE is a GSM technology, they would have had to go a bit far not to include GSM radios)

2. Tried editing the biuld.prop to force it to boot into WCDMA/GSM mode. No luck yet

Al this am doing on 4.2.2, if anyone has updated to kitkat, try accessing the service menu ( must download a dialer app from app store ) and set the network mode
It is entirely possible for this device to only support the gsm 4g standard(aka LTE), and not the gsm 3G standard(HSDPA/hspa)

The modem chip might be capable of 3g/4g gsm, but lg could have excluded the necessary antennas/power amplifiers due to Verizon's request( cost cutting or desire to move to LTE data only support due to long term plan and Verizon not having a 3g gsm network. Since this device has no phone capability, might as well skip legacy support)

Also, Verizon would need to pay for FCC docs to document/test the wireless transmissions. Cheaper to avoid testing gsm I guess. In some cases (like nexus 4 LTE band 4), the hardware and software is fully capable, just not FCC approved. In other cases, no hardware or software support
Current Device:
Oppo Find 5 - experimental kernel

Casetheace
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
LOL, I know it's unlocked. I'm using it on T-Mobile without a problem. And yes, I read your previous post. I was just answering what I personally know firsthand.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Have you updated to 4.4.2?? I also was able to just toss a tmobile sim in and had no problem. Just updated to 4.4.2 no longer able to recognize sim. Anyone have a idea of how to solve this. Was originally running on Verizon.

briankariu
Old
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casetheace View Post
Have you updated to 4.4.2?? I also was able to just toss a tmobile sim in and had no problem. Just updated to 4.4.2 no longer able to recognize sim. Anyone have a idea of how to solve this. Was originally running on Verizon.
If you are on 4.4.2, try dialing *#*#4636#*#* from a dialer app ( I recommend ExDialer Dialer & Contacts ) and select tablet information. You might be able to select the band there.
Get back if it worked
hTC beats  DiabloIII

Casetheace
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankariu View Post
If you are on 4.4.2, try dialing *#*#4636#*#* from a dialer app ( I recommend ExDialer Dialer & Contacts ) and select tablet information. You might be able to select the band there.
Get back if it worked
Tried that, get note popup sating " This application does not work on this device" but grayed out in background is I believe where it can be changed and solved. Just cant get the message to stop and get into that menu. I can enter the battery, usuage, or Wi-Fi testing areas just not tablet information. Any ideas. I still have root access.

jlczl
Old
Thanks Meter 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casetheace View Post
I haven't updated and based on your experience I guess I won't be until someone makes sure it'll still be usable on other networks.
Verizon HTC One "BB Blue"
Sony Xperia Z
Galaxy Note 2 running Jedi ROM
iPad Mini with Retina Display
Galaxy Note 10.1
Asus Nexus 7
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Nokia 520
HTC Flyer
iPad 2 16gb WiFi version

Verizon, AirVoice Wireless and T-Mobile Value

briankariu
Old
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
I haven't updated and based on your experience I guess I won't be until someone makes sure it'll still be usable on other networks.
I have tried editing the biuld.prop. If anyone knows which system app brings up the hidden testing menu, I would be happy to replace it with the g2 one and see what happens
hTC beats  DiabloIII

Tersanyus
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'd love to see if this could work too. Same situation here. Have the G Pad 8.3 on Verizon. It was upgraded to KitKat. Tried every APN setting I could find and nothing worked. Tried that ExDialer app, get same "This application does not work on this device" message as someone stated above.

Not rooted or anything here. I do have an active AT&T sim card that works in an AT&T tablet.

paperWastage
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersanyus View Post
I'd love to see if this could work too. Same situation here. Have the G Pad 8.3 on Verizon. It was upgraded to KitKat. Tried every APN setting I could find and nothing worked. Tried that ExDialer app, get same "This application does not work on this device" message as someone stated above.

Not rooted or anything here. I do have an active AT&T sim card that works in an AT&T tablet.
go here -> http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

check your area, does at&t own any AWS spectrum in your region.

If no, then don't bother trying... (eg nyc area, at&t doesn't own any AWS spectrum)
Current Device:
Oppo Find 5 - experimental kernel

Tags
lg g pad 8.3, sim unlock, sim unlock lte, vk810