Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 44,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OTG USB SD Card Reader

Tip us?

izzyisawesome
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Plug [Q] OTG USB SD Card Reader

Does anyone have any ideas of a Card Reader that you can plug in your Android phone and Computer later?
I found the Patriot Cosmos but i want one that protects the SD card a little bit more and is smaller. Thank you

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
I have the Patriot Cosmos. To be honest, it's tough to get much smaller than that unless you want to get rid of the full-size SD card and only want MicroSD.

You can just get a USB OTG adapter cable that goes MicroUSB male to USB A Female (standard USB port) and that should allow you to use most USB card readers that don't require special drivers.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kobro
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyisawesome View Post
Does anyone have any ideas of a Card Reader that you can plug in your Android phone and Computer later?
I found the Patriot Cosmos but i want one that protects the SD card a little bit more and is smaller. Thank you
any simple usb micro sd reader and otg cable will work.
Press Thanks if i helped!

The Eleventh Commandment- "Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it."

Sign up to Copy.com using this link, and we both get an extra 5gb of free cloud!
https://copy.com?r=1txCqp

If youre into computer games, check out tanki online!
http://tankionline.com#friend=569lJ8...yh7rTJL5dHyg7m

LGG3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default SD card

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
I have the Patriot Cosmos. To be honest, it's tough to get much smaller than that unless you want to get rid of the full-size SD card and only want MicroSD.

You can just get a USB OTG adapter cable that goes MicroUSB male to USB A Female (standard USB port) and that should allow you to use most USB card readers that don't require special drivers.
I see in the product write-ups that it reads SDcards and MicroSDcards but have not seen a picture showing a SDcard plugged in Is it possible to post a pic of the cosmos with an SDcard plugged into it?

Thanks

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGG3 View Post
I see in the product write-ups that it reads SDcards and MicroSDcards but have not seen a picture showing a SDcard plugged in Is it possible to post a pic of the cosmos with an SDcard plugged into it?
Since you asked nicely.

The three readers I have on hand: (with USB plug upright, ie not seam-up, pins on bottom)
  • Patriot Cosmos USB 2.0 reader - SD goes in side face down, MicroSD goes in same side face up above the SD
  • IOgear GFR304SD USB 3.0 reader - SD goes in side face up, MicroSD goes in end face down
  • Generic USB 2.0 reader - SD goes in side face up

Of course only the Cosmos has the OTG microUSB plug.
The SD card sticks out the same amount on all of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDReaders.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (180.7 KB, 11 views)
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LGG3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Perfect! Thanks. :thumbup: I was looking for a way to transfer my photos from my camera to my phone.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGG3 View Post
Perfect! Thanks. :thumbup: I was looking for a way to transfer my photos from my camera to my phone.
Another plus for the Cosmos - you can plug both MicroUSB and standard USB simultaneously - though I do not believe you can use the card reader in this configuration. I don't recommend it for day to day use, but if you're in a pinch and have no other means to charge your phone, etc...