Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] I9300 - No PIT partition / Able to enter download mode / Product name NOT empty

OP emibelli

13th May 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hello,

I have a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (International). I recently left my phone charging and when I picked it up it was in a bootloop doing the Samsung Galaxy S3 logo over and over again. When I rebooted it into recovery mode, it said something about not being able to find several folders and files including: /cache, /recovery/log, among others. It is currently NOT under warranty and it has had almost 2 years of use.

At this point I decided to reboot it into download mode and flash a stock I9300 ROM to it, but when I fired up Odin 3.07 and tried to flash the ROM, the process failed (Unfortunately, I have no screenshots or log traces ). Before this my phone showed the following information on the download mode screen (I had flashed CF-AutoRoot and then switched to a stock ROM shortly after):

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9300
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: YES (2 COUNTS)
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
SYSTEM STATUS: OFFICIAL

When I rebooted my phone again into download mode, the phone showed the following information on the download mode screen:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9300
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
SYSTEM STATUS: CUSTOM

For some reason, my phone did not do a bootloop after that but was stuck with a screen filled with a slurry of whatever was in it's memory when powered on. It also does not boot into recovery mode but is able to boot into download mode using the "volume down + home + power" key combination. To top things off, when I tried to flash anything on it through Odin, it said the following message on Odin's log:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9300XXUGND3_I9300H3GGND1_I9300NEUGND1_HOME.tar.md 5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005>
<ID:0/005> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I have tried to flash bootloaders, pda files, and pit files individually and collectively to no avail.

From what I've researched on the forums, it doesn't seem that my phone is suffering from the dreaded brickbug or eMMC failure, but I'd like you guys to help me diagnose what the issue is.

I'd greatly appreciate your help!
Last edited by emibelli; 13th May 2014 at 06:57 PM.
15th May 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
I have recently tried flashing the factory stock multi-part firmware through Kies and Odin to no avail. I've also taken it to a Samsung service center here in Bogota and they did not receive my phone because it wasn't bought here in Colombia and they didn't have the software for my phone bought in Panama (CSC: TPA).

Paying the shipping fees to Panama and the repair fees for my phone at a Samsung service center there is basically like buying a new phone, and I'm not even sure if it's a hardware problem. What should I do?
Last edited by emibelli; 15th May 2014 at 05:23 PM.
19th May 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Anyone know what the issue might be or how to determine if it's a hardware or software issue?
1st August 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #4  

2 posts
Stuck at 'No PIT partition'
Hi there. Did you ever resolve this? I am experiencing a very similar problem. Initially my GS3 started giving me errors about inconsistent UIDs on the system, and then things like the clock stopped working. So I did a factory reset, which appeared to work except that every time the screen timed out the phone would switch off. Before long I couldn't get past the boot screen, and then all I could boot up to was a screen of gibberish (much like static on the TV).

BUT, I could still boot to the download mode (and nothing else). So I am trying to root the phone (which is not something I have done before). I am using the relevant CF-Auto-Root .md5 file in ODIN, and I get exactly the same sequence of messages as you have. I tried giving it a PIT file to use (apparently not recommended, but I am desperate here), but then it just got stuck trying to set the partition.

I am at a loss as to what to try next.
4th August 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugnav

Hi there. Did you ever resolve this? I am experiencing a very similar problem. Initially my GS3 started giving me errors about inconsistent UIDs on the system, and then things like the clock stopped working. So I did a factory reset, which appeared to work except that every time the screen timed out the phone would switch off. Before long I couldn't get past the boot screen, and then all I could boot up to was a screen of gibberish (much like static on the TV).

BUT, I could still boot to the download mode (and nothing else). So I am trying to root the phone (which is not something I have done before). I am using the relevant CF-Auto-Root .md5 file in ODIN, and I get exactly the same sequence of messages as you have. I tried giving it a PIT file to use (apparently not recommended, but I am desperate here), but then it just got stuck trying to set the partition.

I am at a loss as to what to try next.

To be honest, I received absolutely zero help from the forums.

At the time, I've sent the phone to a local tech support center and they've tried to flash it and JTAG it to no avail... I think it's a motherboard issue, but have not yet heard from the tech support center about that.

Although this problem stopped being a priority for me when I got my Galaxy S5, but I still want my Galaxy S3 repaired... It has been the first phone that has lasted less than 5 years in my hands.

My recommendation is that you stay away from the PIT file and take it to a tech support center for them to address the issue (even if it's not a Samsung tech support center)... From what the tech support guys told me, most of the time it's just a problem with flashing the wrong country's stock ROM into the phone (though it was not my case, because my phone was unlocked and carrier restriction free).

Also, try not to repair the phone with root, but instead try to get a hold of your phone's original stock ROM (verify your phone's CSC to know which country's stock ROM to download).

I hope you find this recommendations useful and get your phone fixed.
8th August 2014, 04:32 AM   |  #6  

2 posts
Thanks for your reply.

After posting here I found a few other comments describing the same symptoms in the GS3 and suggesting, as you have, that it typically means the phone is terminally bricked. So I accepted defeat and went and bought a new HTC M8 (which is great, btw). And I figured that the $35 trade-in that the store offered for my dead GS3 was more value than I was likely to ever extract from it. So I no longer have it. I'd have liked it to last me more than the 26 months or so that I had it, but such is life.

Also, I'll note that my GS3 was, like yours, also bought unlocked, so matching the ROM shouldn't have been such a hassle. But I could not flash anything to it anyway, because ODIN simply could not find (or even replace) a partition.

Here's hoping my M8 lasts a bit longer.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread