Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][MOD] #FixMyOppo : CM11 w/ new partition layout. +9 GB /data

Tip us?

alienmind
Old
(Last edited by alienmind; 4th July 2014 at 09:55 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,596

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM][MOD] #FixMyOppo : CM11 w/ new partition layout. +9 GB /data

Disclaimer

I accept no responsibility if you damage your phone, lose your data or fail to attend an important meeting because of a broken phone agenda.
If you follow this tutorial DO backup. To an external sdcard or preferably a PC.
Also, continue reading if you are ok on FULL WIPING your device. You've been warned!

I take no credit at all for the ROMs and recoveries offered in this thread. They are only examples and I have no plans on maintaining them other than for personal use. Instructions to patch or rebuilds more up to date nightly builds are offered.

Special thanks to:
* CyanogenMod team
* Entropy512 and the Omni team
* Dees_Troy for TWRP

The problem

Probably you are feeling like me. This is a great device, but the storage layout is frustrating. Only 3GB for /data an 9GB for /sdcard !!!
Meaning:
- Just a few apps before the storage is full
- Google Music will not be able to download more than a few albums

The reason

Oppo decided to not have unified partition layout (/data and /sdcard do not share the same space as any other modern phone does). This is something my three years old Galaxy Nexus has!!!!

Solutions

There are a few, but without Oppo's support (meaning: repartitioning) all of them will be non standard and will limit ROM interoperability.
On this thread I will focus on three of the less dangerous solutions:
  • Option 1 : Use "sdcard0" (9GB) as /data, "userdata" (3GB) as "sdcard1" and the external sdcard as "sdcard0"
  • Option 2 : WIP : Create a volume group (LVM) using "userdata" and "sdcard0" physical devices (totalling 13GB). Use this as /data and the external sdcard1 as sdcard0. This is based on an idea by Entropy512 and I take no credit at all
  • Option 3 : WIP : Same as 2 plus unified partition layout (/sdcard0 on top of data). Leave sdcard1 as sdcard1 if you have it.

What you will need

Options 1 and 2 require an external sdcard. Option 3 does not (although you can still use it)
You should have installed fastboot and adb in order to flash a new recovery and do backups.
You need to use my special TWRP builds only.

Option 1

This is the easiest (but less than ideal) solution. You will have 9GB in /data and use your external sdcard as /sdcard0 (as if it was internal). the remaining 3GB will be considered as an external /sdcard1.

Option 1 outcome

The trick is simple, just replace the partition table (fstab.qcom) with this one. Put it on device/oppo/find7/rootdir/etc/fstab.qcom and brunch find7. Additionally rebuild TWRP with a similarly modded twrp.fstab. Alternatively you might want to rebuild the boot.img ramdisk, build for another ROM (OMNI is a great option too) OR use the downloads below:

* CM11 with the new parition layout (source built on 20140626)
* TWRP with similar partition layout (although external_sd is still external_sd and internal_sd is sdcard0).

Instructions:
1) Use your existing standard TWRP to do a nandroid backup to your external sdcard
2) Reboot into your bootloader (adb reboot bootloader or hold on your vol up and power button)
3) Flash this special TWRP image (fastboot flash recovery twrp-find7a-swapped-data-sdcard.img)
4) Reboot into recovery (power off, hold vol down and power button)
5) Click on Wipe, Advanced Wipe. Check Dalvik Cache, System, Data, Cache, Internal_sd, Android Secure (pretty much everything EXCEPT external_sd)
6) Flash the provided CM11. BE SURE YOU ARE USING THE CUSTOM TWRP IMAGE.
7) Reboot
8) Profit

Options 2 and 3

These are still WIP.

Extras
After flashing the ROM you would like to flash some extras:
* PA_GApps : DO not use anything other than MICRO MODULAR PA package, as the others will overwrite camera files will Google camera and it is broken.
* OnePlus One CyanogenMod 11s Camera : Works nicely

Some device with something homebrewed
If you like my work hit on Thanks!.

Blog
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to alienmind For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alienmind
Old
(Last edited by alienmind; 27th June 2014 at 03:42 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,596

DONATE TO ME
Rolling back

Just flash the original TWRP.
Go to Wipe menu, full wipe every partition (except external sd)
Flash whatever ROM you want.
Done

Blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alienmind For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alienmind
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,596

DONATE TO ME
Reserved 2

Blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alienmind For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrsynister1971
Old
(Last edited by mrsynister1971; 27th June 2014 at 06:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Default FixMyOppo

alienmind sir,
amazing outstanding...so a quick question CM11 is now ready for the FIND 7 QHD X9077& X9076..didn't see that anywhere
i have a thread on oppo forums http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/fr...ovement.17302/
trying to convince oppo to deal with this very issue of the 3gb app issue i have informed the members after being informed by a member,(rpcherrera),about this link,so just need confirmation this will work before flooding your thread with willing participants...

alienmind
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,596

DONATE TO ME
I can't grant the ROMs provided will work with the QHD model as I don't have one to test it. In principle this little hack or a very similar one should work though if you patch any QHD image with the provided fstab or something very similar. Although I accept test devices if you are willing to donate ;-]

Enviado desde mi Find7 mediante Tapatalk

Blog

mrsynister1971
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default fixmyoppo

thank you for your reply,if i had a spare 450 lying about i would gladly donate one to you,if you would like me to put the feelers out on the thread for the members to donate to you for this purpose i will do so...no problem
it's a shame there is no working development for the QHD yet...i know @coldbird is working on some and i can't wait till he has a working rom,(miui), or fix for this issue
so i can update my thread and let the users know this is for find 7a only...thank you
and please let me know if you want me to help you get donations from my thread,when i hear back from you about it,i will start the ball rolling

alienmind
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,596

DONATE TO ME
Don't worry about the donation thing, I was just kidding. Although the images provided are not directly flashable, as soon as you have CM11 support for the QHD, the hack above should work - given that you rebuild with the provided fstab.

Enviado desde mi Find7 mediante Tapatalk

Blog
The Following User Says Thank You to alienmind For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrsynister1971
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default fixmyoppo

yeah things are looking slow for the find 7 QHD,i will probably have my 1+1 by the time this device gets a stable custom rom,plus i am also looking at the VIVO XPLAY 3S another great device...unfortunately i doubt there will be any custom roms made for that device i doubt the source code will be released for it....also the nubia X6 http://liaow.com/nubia-x6-128g-white.php is another nice device that may never see a dev get their hands on the source code to customise...a shame really but thems the breaks i suppose,
once again thank you for all your hard work up till now and in the future

ayysir
Old
(Last edited by ayysir; 28th June 2014 at 05:18 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5,922

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsynister1971 View Post
yeah things are looking slow for the find 7 QHD,i will probably have my 1+1 by the time this device gets a stable custom rom,plus i am also looking at the VIVO XPLAY 3S another great device...unfortunately i doubt there will be any custom roms made for that device i doubt the source code will be released for it....also the nubia X6 http://liaow.com/nubia-x6-128g-white.php is another nice device that may never see a dev get their hands on the source code to customise...a shame really but thems the breaks i suppose,
once again thank you for all your hard work up till now and in the future
most devs are just getting dev units.... Ethan Chan already working on kernel for Fin7Qhd on cm so... just be patient ....
Github
https://github.com/ayysir/

Projects:

AEI - Android Environment Installer - http://goo.gl/4TKdi

Kernel Build Script How To - http://goo.gl/admz2

AOSPA ROMS BELOW

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ayysir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JWEEZY78
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is this persistent after an upgrade?

Want to confirm this isn't broken after installing a newer nightly

Tags
cyanogenmod, find 7, find 7a, oppo, partition