Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

[Q] Logitech Harmony remote compatibility

4th August 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #11  
Flag In the wind
Thanks Meter: 62

476 posts
Flirc
I use a dongle called Flirc plugged into my AFTV with my Harmony One. Instructions here:

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/top...amazon-firetv/
5th August 2014, 12:28 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 4

16 posts
I was under the impression that the Harmony One could now connect via Bluetooth. http://support.myharmony.com/en/arti...faqid=s-m-4058
I have an older 520 that I love and use the Ortek infrared receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-.../dp/B00224ZDFY

It can be setup to do everything EXCEPT the contextual menus AKA the Menu button or the one one with three horizontal lines.
If someone could figure that out I would send them cash!
5th August 2014, 12:06 PM   |  #13  
Flag In the wind

476 posts
No Cash Required
Read the link above. Buy Flirc on Amazon for $30. Follow the guide. The Menu Key is programmed from the command line. If you have an H1, my posted config file might work. My H1 does everything but the microphone as it ain't got one.

I added a USB hub. Have Flirc (a keyboard emulator), an MS Entertainment KB/mouse, and USB stick attached.

Also Droidmote, Play Store, client/server, $3, is a great phone/tablet based remote.

The Harmony One does not do BT. Per Logitech, "Harmony remotes without Harmony Hub cannot control Amazon Fire TV." Are you confusing the H1 with the $300 Ultimate?
Last edited by schneid; 5th August 2014 at 12:10 PM.
5th August 2014, 01:25 PM   |  #14  

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid

Read the link above. Buy Flirc on Amazon for $30. Follow the guide. The Menu Key is programmed from the command line. If you have an H1, my posted config file might work. My H1 does everything but the microphone as it ain't got one.

I added a USB hub. Have Flirc (a keyboard emulator), an MS Entertainment KB/mouse, and USB stick attached.

Also Droidmote, Play Store, client/server, $3, is a great phone/tablet based remote.

The Harmony One does not do BT. Per Logitech, "Harmony remotes without Harmony Hub cannot control Amazon Fire TV." Are you confusing the H1 with the $300 Ultimate?

Yep, I was confusing the one with the ultimate...Sorry. This is why I stick to the old school 500 series.

Thank you for the correction.
5th August 2014, 02:12 PM   |  #15  
Flag In the wind

476 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelvin

Yep, I was confusing the one with the ultimate...Sorry. This is why I stick to the old school 500 series.

Thank you for the correction.

The remote uses standard keystokes. The Menu key is the one between the right Win and right Ctrl on a standard win KB. You need to teach it that key.
7th August 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 2

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29

I can confirm that the Ortek-Windows-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate I purchased from Amazon does indeed work with my Harmony One and the Fire TV.

Is it complicated to set that up. I would love to get this working with my Harmony 700
8th August 2014, 04:14 AM   |  #17  
OP Member

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpat87

Is it complicated to set that up. I would love to get this working with my Harmony 700

No, it is not very complicated. It has been awhile since I did it but as I recall it did require manually learning a couple of commands. The thing that hung me up to start in the manual learning process was that I was using very deliberate slow key presses. I found out that to manually learn the couple of commands that I needed, only a very quick tap of the desired key was needed.
8th August 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #18  
Flag In the wind

476 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29

No, it is not very complicated. It has been awhile since I did it but as I recall it did require manually learning a couple of commands. The thing that hung me up to start in the manual learning process was that I was using very deliberate slow key presses. I found out that to manually learn the couple of commands that I needed, only a very quick tap of the desired key was needed.

Will it do the Menu button? i thought only Flirc could pull that off.
9th August 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #19  
Flag san francisco
Thanks Meter: 6

52 posts
More
The Oretek can do the menu button. I believe its either "Info" or "Guide". Home key is mapped to "Browser".

The issue to look out for is that no Harmony is created equally. Case in point, I use a 900 upstairs with the Oretek. Works fine. Button response a bit slow even with the key delay set all the way to 0ms. But it's useable.

I have a Harmony 890 downstairs with an Oretek. Infuriating! Not only would it not communicate the IR signals properly (had to learn all commands from the Oretek as RAW, but on top of that, with the inter-key delay set to 0 so I didn't get repeat keys AND the key delay set to 0ms, it is still slow as molasses, and I have not found a combo that both delivers the signal correctly AND makes the key presses fast enough to be useable.

Might break down and by a refurb 900. At least I know what I'm getting into with that.
Last edited by nooknut; 9th August 2014 at 03:24 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread