Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 54,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Magnetic Charging point - FELL OUT!

Tip us?

SolidR53
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Has your phone experienced any extreme heat, I'm thinking why the glue failed.
HTC One X w/ Blade ELITE 2.0

stargate1000
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidR53 View Post
Has your phone experienced any extreme heat, I'm thinking why the glue failed.
I wouldn't say so. Nothing over normal temps.

I would say that the amount of bond used was miniscule like a circle in the middle of the charging point. Not enough in my opinion as the surface area it covered was too small.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mr mystery
Old
Thanks Meter 100
I see this appears to be common. How bad is this? I am about to get a Z2 with OEM dock but if this is a common thing perhaps I'll reconsider.

jeremy.shi
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mystery View Post
I see this appears to be common. How bad is this? I am about to get a Z2 with OEM dock but if this is a common thing perhaps I'll reconsider.
I have been using magnetic charger for two months now. So far it's still intact.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremy.shi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fredriks
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Same here, used magnetic charger seens I bought my Z2 (about 2 month ago) and it works great. Don't have stock desktop charger, bought an adapter cable.

Skickat från Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to fredriks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HacKage
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm thinking about buying a magnetic charger, but I'm curious as to how people are disconnecting theirs to cause this issue.

My thoughts on it are if you pull it out horizontally, you are obviously putting strain on it by just pulling it off/out. I would have thought the best way to disconnect would be to basically "peel" it off, so that the magnet disconnects at a 90 degree angle. This would then not put any strain on the glue or whatever is used.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

ventura726
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have read a few reviews on some different mag cables and a lot of the aftermarket ones tout how strong the magnetic connection is compared to stock. Maybe the OEM cable was not too strong by design. Also wondering what kind of glue it is holding the port in. I just got my Z2 and I like it a lot so far. The mag cable looks like a great convenience which I'll be buying as soon as I decide I'm definitely keeping the phone (I'm commitment-challenged). Got my phone from B&H Photo and it says they are an authorized Sony dealer, but they are on the other side of the US so I really don't wanna have to ship my phone across country and then wait if I have an issue.