Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,648 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

BubbleUPnP great on Q!

Tip us?

eddib
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thumbs up BubbleUPnP great on Q!

Hi,

I recently installed Cyanogenmod 10 on my Q.
The install process was quite smooth. (see the Q developer forums for tutorials)
I chose the ROM with the amp support as I have two nice Bose speakers collecting dust.

Well no longer. The Q is now my main music device in my living room.

First, I was very excited about the Cheapcast app (quite a bit of stir about that here on the forums).
I could easily cast my music from my phone or tablet via Google Music. Worked fine, for a while.

Cheapcast, however, is nog very stable for streaming music. Hiccups, slow, connection loss.... I had to reboot the Q a lot.

I then tried Bubble UPnP (installed on Q, some minor config) combined with Cast To UPnP/DLNA for GMusic installed on your phone or tablet. This setup rocks and has been serving me music for the past couple of weeks.

You can try these apps for free, but there are time limits per session. Buying is well worth it.

I still preferred the original Q with the social streaming thing. But my current setup comes close: it's stable and easy. Somewhat slow in responding to actions like skip track, but it'll do.

If you have 5$ to spend on apps, give this a go. You won't be sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddib For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coolacid217
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can you post the configuration for BubbleUPnP? I can't get the cast gmusic app to see my bubbleUPnP renderer.

eddib
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Some settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolacid217 View Post
Can you post the configuration for BubbleUPnP? I can't get the cast gmusic app to see my bubbleUPnP renderer.
Hi there, here's a few settings. I don't remember which ones are default and which ones I changed:

Local renderer
- enable
- allow remote control

Local media server
- enable
- advertise on lan
- allow remote clients: all clients
Cloud content
- google music: enable
- select account: none

Control:
- kill on inactivity: never
- start on boot
- volume keys
- media keys
- lockscreen controls

I do remember having to reboot te Q to make certain settings stick.

Hope this helps, regards,

eddib

coolacid217
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you! That did the trick.

eddib
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Now also from the browser

You can now also cast directly from your Chrome browser with the Google Cast extension.
My Q started showing up recently.

Scuba Jeremy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddib View Post
You can now also cast directly from your Chrome browser with the Google Cast extension.
My Q started showing up recently.
I just wanted to pop in and thank you for this thread! I bought a Q from eBay a couple months back, and after setting up CM10, BubbleUPnP was the next thing I installed. It works great! While there have been changes with the most recent Google Play Music that prevents some capabilities, everything else works flawlessly. BubbleUPnP really does make the Q a serious streaming device again. Cheers!

eddib
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Google being Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Jeremy View Post
While there have been changes with the most recent Google Play Music that prevents some capabilities, everything else works flawlessly. BubbleUPnP really does make the Q a serious streaming device again. Cheers!
Yep, Google seems to have locked down some functionality. You can still cast, but the receiving end has been secured with encrypted keys.
Cheapcast no longer works. I guess they want money for licenses.
Nor does casting to BubbleUPnP on your Q from the Google Music App (with Cast To UPnP/DLNA for GMusic; the app's gone from the App store btw).

I now cast music via the BubbleUPnP app to the Q, so not really using the Google Cast protocol, but the actual UPnP.
The interface for browsing music on you phone via BubbleUPnP is far from perfect, but it still gets the job done.
To use this, you need to add your Google Music library in BubbleUPnP.

If anyone finds another way to keep using the Google Music app to control the casting to the Q with BubbleUPnP, please let us know here.
I think it might be possible to use the Google Music App as a controller for BubbleUPnP, not sure though.