Bestbuy offering $100 off new Tab S for any working tablet trade-in.

Search This thread
Sorry if I came across a bit harsh there. Wasn't meant to.

The reason they wouldn't take it with CM11 is because that means you are rooted which means no warranty.

I doubt that tablet is still under warranty anyway. I also can't believe they knew the difference. You must have found the one smart employee in the store.

enaybee

Oct 28, 2008
Not Too Far
okay guys, I bit too. I took a Hisense Sero 7 LT which I bought from Newegg last week for 39.99 (refurbished unit) with 15 dollars mail in rebate. So this tablet was 25 dollars after all is said and done. However the unit I received was badly scratched on the back cover. So I took it to bestbuy and the guy behind counter was extremely helpful. At first he couldn't find Hisense in their system but he did an over ride and gave me a 50 dollar gift card and a 50 dollar coupon right away. I bought myself a white 16 GB Tab S 8.4.

A few words on the tablet. This tablet is extremely light and easy to hold. Size is almost perfect. Last amoled display I used was on S3 which I used mostly on AOSP roms. So I am using an Amoled display after a very long time. This tablet has eye watering color saturation however its very sharp. I would need some time to adjust to this level of color saturation. For now I have toned it down in display settings. Its considerably fast and almost smooth however its not as smooth as my N7 FHD or LG G Pad 8.3 (running mahdi rom) which is understandable since its running highly bloated and heavy duty touchwiz skin. I guess when the time comes I will put a nice AOSP based rom on it and it would definitely make it a lot better. Hope this helps to anybody who is still on the fence to get this tablet.

Last edited:

mikabl

Oct 20, 2013
Got mine

Had a old HP touchpad with CM hacked on it. The guy at the geek desk laughed as he took it and got my 100 off. Now I have a nice tab s 10.5. Rooted it first thing too

robertc88

Jan 27, 2012
The only other better deal at launch I can think of was the Nexus 7" second gen for which 32gb storage was cheaper than the S with 16GB. That tablet at the time was aces, now not so much so happy to get the S for $299 at launch.

Reactions: avenging

goofydragon1

Oct 4, 2010
I too traded in an HP touchpad w/ CM 11 loaded. I restored palm OS but still had the mboot to android. Just instructed the clerk that the device had two OS's and to load palm you'd need to point to WebOS.

I do enjoy the Tab S just that off-the-wall regret of the next NEXUS

Edwinfung8489

Mar 26, 2014
So I guess this promo is finished? I was hoping it would last a little longer. I'm from Canada and we don't have this promo. But ill be heading to Detroit next weekend. Guess I'll have to get this full price.

cavsoldier19d

Feb 1, 2011
Florida
So I guess this promo is finished? I was hoping it would last a little longer. I'm from Canada and we don't have this promo. But ill be heading to Detroit next weekend. Guess I'll have to get this full price.

I went into Best Buy today and asked about the promotion. The sales rep at the Samsung counter said they were still doing the trade in offer. So I asked about my Note 8 2013 edition...$67 for my Note 8...ridiculous. It's barely a year old, and new ones still sell for about $350 and used ones for about $250. So I declined to trade it in. I will probably sell it on swappa or something.

Reactions: Edwinfung8489

GMAN1722

Oct 14, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I went into Best Buy today and asked about the promotion. The sales rep at the Samsung counter said they were still doing the trade in offer. So I asked about my Note 8 2013 edition...$67 for my Note 8...ridiculous. It's barely a year old, and new ones still sell for about $350 and used ones for about $250. So I declined to trade it in. I will probably sell it on swappa or something.

Yea, I don't understand how they valuate these tablets. I traded in my HTC Flyer and got $55 for it (no scratches, original charger, and CM 10 on it). Was going to trade in the first generation Note 10.1 and they were offering less than $40 for it.

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.executivedecision.biz
This deal is back at Best Buy.

One thing to keep in mind. If for some reason you return or exchange your Tab S for a different model (the 8.4 for the 10.5 for instance), $50 of your original trade-in discount will go poof as they took it off the topline price of the original purchase and it doesn't appear on your receipt. You only get credited what is on the receipt.

I'll be contacting MyBestBuy support on this as this seems to be a bit of a ripoff to me. I traded my original tablet in for $100 and now it is worth only $50 when doing an exchange. Whereas if I had traded for the same model tablet I would have still gotten the full discount. Not fair.

Last edited:

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
One thing to keep in mind. If for some reason you return or exchange your Tab S for a different model (the 8.4 for the 10.5 for instance), $50 of your original trade-in discount will go poof as they took it off the topline price of the original purchase and it doesn't appear on your receipt. You only get credited what is on the receipt.

I'll be contacting MyBestBuy support on this as this seems to be a bit of a ripoff to me. I traded my original tablet in for $100 and now it is worth only $50 when doing an exchange. Whereas if I had traded for the same model tablet I would have still gotten the full discount. Not fair.

Guess it all depends on your definition of "fair". If you drill down through the links (a bit difficult but its there) you find a page where you can enter your current device and answer some questions about it. My old Asus Transformer Prime rated good condition, good battery, with charger came out $64.00. But ask yourself what are they going to do with that old Transformer Prime? It was an OK device in its day but who would buy it now? I've seen people trying to sell them for $100 to $150 but I think anyone would be kind of foolish to pay that. I suspect a lot of the devices they take in trade will probably end up in a recycling facility for destruction.

On a similar trade in deal, I got $100 trade when I traded my Droid 3 for a Droid Maxx. I asked the Verizon guy what they did with the old phone as I could not imagine anyone would buy a Droid 3. He said that some go to charities while others are refurbished and sold overseas in third world countries (where I'm assuming people can't pay much). No matter how you look at it, they couldn't be making much, if anything on the sale of the old device. So whatever they give you as a trade they are getting something that is basically worthless to them...they'd probably come out ahead by just giving you a discount and telling you to keep the old table which brings me to...

If I wait a few months until the Tab S is no longer the shiny new toy, I'll probably be able to buy it on Amazon at a discount equal to or greater than the $64 trade. Or, just buy the Tab Pro at $100 off right now since it's no longer the latest and greatest (but nearly just as good). Patience pays off. That's for my personally owned device where I want the 10.5. At work I already ordered my tab s 8.4...nice to work somewhere where I can order my own gear :)

aami.aami

Apr 17, 2012
Please remember that this was the Samsung dude at Bestbuy that told me this. Based upon my experience with them, they have little to no idea what is actually happening with their products. Case in point, whenever I go to my local Bestbuy, the Gear Watches are ALWAYS out of power and can't be tried. I asked the Samsung guy why the watch was out of power and he literally DID NOT KNOW how to charge it up.

Either these employees are the dumbest people alive or Bestbuy just hands them a "Samsung" shirt and zero training.

Regardless, I am hoping this $100 story is true, but consider the source. We'll see.

ahahaha thats actually funny and true... and i thought it was just in my country... :D

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
ahahaha thats actually funny and true... and i thought it was just in my country... :D

The BestBuy Samsung reps are the worst of all. I literally have gone away from a conversation with one thinking, my god that was a stupid person. I've stood there as a Samsung rep tried demonstrating a product to another customer and it was clear they had no idea how the device functioned.

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Did you swap your 10.5 for an 8.4?

Gave 10.5 to GF so she could watch movies with her little boys. I went to buy another for myself and figured what the heck I would try the 8.4. Surprisingly I kind of like it better. Higher ppi and since I like using the tablet in portrait easier to thumb type. Because the stock browser allows me to fine tune text size I find reading in portrait is doable.

avenging

Sep 28, 2013
they sell only wifi in the states?

weird in the philippines (so i heard), bahrain, and (if rumor is true) also here in saudi, only the LTE are available

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is there an offical advertisment, I spoke to two Samsung Reps at two different Best Buys that is offering the test drive and they do not know anything about the offer. They both mention that I can go and trade-in my tablet and well give me a value. I'll be trading a HP Touchpad

Here you go.. I wasn't supposed to get this sheet and post it but screw Best Buy. Take this to the store and you are golden.
    Yep, was just talking to the Samsung dude at Bestbuy and he told me they will take any working tablet as a trade-in and give you $100 off a shiny new Tab S.

Not bad.
    The BestBuy local to me honored the request yesterday. I got a 50$ coupon and $50 off. I traded in a generation 1 Nexus 7 tablet (32GB). I had the original box, but lost the charger. I upgraded to the 10.5" Galaxy Tab S (Bronze) with 32GB. Very nice table :)
    As a followup, I went to the best buy community forum ant posted my issue. Within 24 hrs they responded saying they had communicated the proper promotion rules to my store. I wen t back in, they took my worthless Archos Gen 8 and gave me the 50 dollar gift card and 50 dollar coupon. I now have my new tab s 8.4 that I will be comparing side by side with the tab pro and returning one or ft he other.

Anyone having issues with trade in should post on the best buy forum
    Would this be available at any best buy? Who do I talk to about this?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk