Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,227 Members 46,725 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any current G3 owners try to drop the resolution to 1080p?

Tip us?

ChrisM75
Old
Thanks Meter 116
It seems a lot of people have this all wrong. Reducing the resolution will not save you battery power. Nothing except 3D games are using even a fraction of the power of the GPU, indeed even a really old GPU will happily push the pixels around at QHD on a 2D accelerated interface using hardly any power at all.

It works just like a PC GPU, it wont throttle up unless the 3D hardware is needed, even a really old and low end GPU will happily let you use 2 full HD displays on a PC without even getting warm, its the same deal here.

FandangoL
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM75 View Post
It seems a lot of people have this all wrong. Reducing the resolution will not save you battery power. Nothing except 3D games are using even a fraction of the power of the GPU, indeed even a really old GPU will happily push the pixels around at QHD on a 2D accelerated interface using hardly any power at all.

It works just like a PC GPU, it wont throttle up unless the 3D hardware is needed, even a really old and low end GPU will happily let you use 2 full HD displays on a PC without even getting warm, its the same deal here.
But what about phone performance? Should be the phone less large?

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app

FandangoL
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Hello, maybe I'm stupid but even reading whole thread I not understood if such mod solve my problem, so I try to summarise.
The action to be performed is to put the resolution to 1080p and dpi to 530 using nomone.
The question is: does work LG home? Do work all LG apps?

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app

MasK
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Setting 1080p with 530dpi as a global setting will make everything look huge and ugly. Might even screw up the alignment of some UI elements. I'm using 400dpi, nice and tidy.

Then theres the AppSettings from Xposed. As recommended by the good fellas here, I set to 530dpi + 75 font scale for LG apps. Works well.
However, my alarms don't sound anymore. My clock works, but when it supposed to wake me up, it force-closes and my LED cycles through all colors when my screen is on. Anyone has a solution for this? I can use a 3rd party alarm as the next resort though..

Ok, now to share my reason for being optimistic on 1080p setting. I'm using it primarily due to the keyboard ThumbKeyboard. This app has not been updated for 2K screen and the secondary characters are too tiny to be seen. I know.. there are many other keyboards but this one works best for me.
Another observation is that quickPic works faster now. I would assume this app has lesser pixels to process since it's a relatively graphic intensive app. Quickpic works fast on all other phones I tried, but it's slower on G3, possibly due to the pixels. Speed it what I expect from this resolution change. Don't keep your hopes up on battery.

Visit my blog: www.imraneo.com

Palm m100 | Cassiopeia E-125 | iPaq hp2210 | OČ XphoneII | OČ XDAII Mini | OČ XDA Atom | HP rw6828 | HTC P3300 | HTC Touch Cruise | HTC Touch Diamond | HTC Touch Diamond2 | HTC HD2 |
Samsung Galaxy S | Samsung Galaxy S2 | Galaxy Nexus | HTC Oneˣ | Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE | Sony Xperia Z | Samsung Galaxy S4 | LG G2 D802 | Sony Xperia Z2 | Samsung Galaxy S5 | LG G3 D855