Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,738 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi Tethering/Hotspot for your Verizon S4 mini (sch-i435) post 4.2.2 update.

Tip us?

hellrose1228
Old
(Last edited by hellrose1228; 10th January 2014 at 07:28 PM.) Reason: spelling
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Wifi Tethering/Hotspot for your Verizon S4 mini (sch-i435) post 4.2.2 update.

Hello everyone,
As most of you wifi tethering users probably know, Verizon managed to block our wifi hotspot with the OTA update to 4.2.2.
This left us users searching for other limited options of tethering until now. I can now confirm with the latest update to Foxfi our wifi tethering woes are over. Foxfi has designed a way to work around the 4.2.2 software and bypass the Verizon hotspot entitlement check using VPN. Please be aware that there are 2 downsides to this.

1.A Certificate must be installed in order for Foxfi to access the VPN.
(This is automatically done inside the app)
2. With the installation of the certificate you will be prompted to use a pin, pattern, or password as a lockscreen.
You are no longer able to use Swipe, Facelock, or "none" as your lockscreen. This is completely reversable though.

Notes*
How to reverse screen lock-
To Reverse screen lock enter Android settings>choose security>"clear credentials". Now you will be able to change back to your original lockscreen. this must be done everytine you use foxfi. Once you enter Foxfi again you will be prompted to re-install the certificate. *there is no byass for this ATM*

If Foxfi doesn't work- some users are reporting that they must reboot their phone up to 3 times after installing the apk. Be sure to try this before posting any "its not working" posts

Foxfi is a free and paid app. The free version only allows up to 30 minutes of connectivity before having to restart the hotspot. I do recommend purchasing the app but for the cheapskates out there there are other ways to get full version but you will have to do some googling for that on your own.

Foxfi does not require root access.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellrose1228 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EvlTwizted1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Other option to remove screen lock

I have FoxFi and I downloaded a free app called no lock. I do not even have to swipe. whenever I hit my power button I go right to the screen.
Tags
foxfi, hotspot, root, sch-i435, wifi tether