Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,368 Members 44,582 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How is THAT screen?

Tip us?
 
Billy Madison
Old
(Last edited by Billy Madison; 12th August 2014 at 10:58 AM.) Reason: -
#141  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 216
Posts: 940
Join Date: Dec 2011
--
 
ChrisM75
Old
(Last edited by ChrisM75; 12th August 2014 at 12:35 PM.)
#142  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 119
Posts: 269
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikido View Post
I dont notice weak blues. Those weak blue are natural and not iver saturated. For example the s3 and s4 that my family have tend to display the blue of the sky as very light blue while the g3 displays a slightly darker one. But the G3 has a more realistic tone.

With actaul proof i find you very credible now.

Sent from LG Gangster 3
Its not that the blue isnt saturated, its just weaker than the green and red and the wrong colour. Its too yellow, which makes for the very yellow screen some see. Whites should be slightly yellow, but on all the G3s ive seen its almost brown. If you look at true blue on the G3 through a red or green calibration filter it should go black, but it doesnt, with a green filter it still shows, this is because its too yellow.

Here are 3 pictures ive doctored to show the effect AFTER I adjusted the screen to be less yellow, ill try to make it loom like it does before i adjusted it later. The first is the reference, the second is what the G2 does, the last is the G3. As you will see its not that far off from the reference, but the blues are too green/yellow.

It should be noted that my G3 is nothing like the one tested by Phonearena, out of the box colours are way off, its also seems that my back light is far darker at minimum setting, its so dark I can hardly even see it, even in the pitch black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg london2.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (210.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg londonG2.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (199.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg londonG3.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (203.7 KB, 150 views)
 
Fir3blade
Old
(Last edited by Fir3blade; 12th August 2014 at 02:00 PM.)
#143  
Fir3blade's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 704
Posts: 1,522
Join Date: May 2011
The screen on mine is too yellowish for my taste, will get an exchange device tomorrow, if this one will be as yellowish, I will return it immediately and go for another device.
I don't care if the G2's screen is too bluish or whatever, I really liked it's display, but the G3 screen is to dimm and "warm".

_____

Just got the replacement, sadly it's display is even more yellowish, so it will go back too the next days, will get a used G2 instead and wait what this year will bring on.
Really sad because I really like the G3, but can't stand the display...
 
oadam11
Old
#144  
oadam11's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 339
Posts: 512
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3blade View Post
The screen on mine is too yellowish for my taste, will get an exchange device tomorrow, if this one will be as yellowish, I will return it immediately and go for another device.
I don't care if the G2's screen is too bluish or whatever, I really liked it's display, but the G3 screen is to dimm and "warm".

_____

Just got the replacement, sadly it's display is even more yellowish, so it will go back too the next days, will get a used G2 instead and wait what this year will bring on.
Really sad because I really like the G3, but can't stand the display...
If you root it you can you trickstermod to change the color calibration and make the screen less yellow.
My screen appears yellow but I have decided to stick with it because I don't want to end up with a replacement that's worse.

Sent from my LG G3
 
Fir3blade
Old
#145  
Fir3blade's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 704
Posts: 1,522
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oadam11 View Post
If you root it you can you trickstermod to change the color calibration and make the screen less yellow.
My screen appears yellow but I have decided to stick with it because I don't want to end up with a replacement that's worse.

Sent from my LG G3
Thank you, but I gave it a try, with no satisfying results.
I guess we would need a custom kernel to change the gamma values...
 
oadam11
Old
#146  
oadam11's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 339
Posts: 512
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3blade View Post
Thank you, but I gave it a try, with no satisfying results.
I guess we would need a custom kernel to change the gamma values...
True. I noticed that when I set red and green to 238, my screen looked just like my g2. But I noticed (although not completely sure) that text seemed a bit worse. So I just decided to keep it at it's default values.

Sent from my LG G3
 
Billy Madison
Old
#147  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 216
Posts: 940
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM75 View Post
Here are 3 pictures ive doctored to show the effect AFTER I adjusted the screen to be less yellow, ill try to make it loom like it does before i adjusted it later. The first is the reference, the second is what the G2 does, the last is the G3. As you will see its not that far off from the reference, but the blues are too green/yellow
Yes, G2 oversaturates a little bit, I checked on my G2, but a little bit less than on your example, its almost red sky on your G2 pic
And yes, I would trade my G2 for G3 without a thought if not G3's size and price difference. But I like your G3 example of London2 far-far better then what G2 shows. It really oversaturates to achieve an anime-like cartoonish effect, and I'd better have right more calibrated picture
 
ChrisM75
Old
#148  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 119
Posts: 269
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Yes, G2 oversaturates a little bit, I checked on my G2, but a little bit less than on your example, its almost red sky on your G2 pic
And yes, I would trade my G2 for G3 without a thought if not G3's size and price difference. But I like your G3 example of London2 far-far better then what G2 shows. It really oversaturates to achieve an anime-like cartoonish effect, and I'd better have right more calibrated picture
The problem is that while my G3 now has better colours, it still has many other problems with the screen. The blacks are still rubbish, the off axis polarize washout far from good, the brightness is poor and the digitizer is visible slightly on solid colours. All thats before we even get to that hideous sharpening effect.

All these problems have been well documented in reviews and on here by real customers. This is basically a repeat of the N5, good colours, terrible everything else.
 
oadam11
Old
#149  
oadam11's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 339
Posts: 512
Join Date: Oct 2013
For me I don't see the digitizer. I was surprised since I clearly noticed it on my g2

Sent from my LG G3
 
helikido
Old
#150  
helikido's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 89
Posts: 571
Join Date: Oct 2010
If anything sometimes I think ny screen is a bit blue, other times i think its kinda yellow. Its weird. Its all perception and probably has to do with lighting. If i go outside it seems a bit blue. But when i watch something on my tv it seems yellow ish. Weird huh?

More importantly I have to know if all LG G3's have that visible digitizer or not. And if we can somehow make the blacks darker in the future using kernel tweaks.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes