Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,298 Members 39,630 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.4 System, Boot and FOTAKernel Images

Tip us?

Forboding Angel
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Hey guys, I am not at all new to android, flashing roms/kernels/working with recovery, but this phone legitimately confuses me.

At the moment I have a zu gpe with an unlocked bootloader. No root running stock 4.4.4.

I want to do this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=12

but, his instructions immediately screw me up because he mentions starting out with 4.4.3. I don't have a custom recovery, and apparently the kernel has to be baked in with the recovery (which makes 0 sense to me)?

I'm coming from experience with the m7/s3 (d2spr)/s4(jflte) with a smattering of working with the note 2, and before that the htc evo 4g (supersonic).

Ok, so... I'm fairly well versed, but this phone and methods used confuse the hell out of me.

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to do to get custom (preferably dual) recoveries on this phone so that I can flash cm11 (hoping cm11 fixes the damn camera)?

Thanks for any/all help.

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 1083

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forboding Angel View Post
Hey guys, I am not at all new to android, flashing roms/kernels/working with recovery, but this phone legitimately confuses me.

At the moment I have a zu gpe with an unlocked bootloader. No root running stock 4.4.4.

I want to do this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=12

but, his instructions immediately screw me up because he mentions starting out with 4.4.3. I don't have a custom recovery, and apparently the kernel has to be baked in with the recovery (which makes 0 sense to me)?

I'm coming from experience with the m7/s3 (d2spr)/s4(jflte) with a smattering of working with the note 2, and before that the htc evo 4g (supersonic).

Ok, so... I'm fairly well versed, but this phone and methods used confuse the hell out of me.

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to do to get custom (preferably dual) recoveries on this phone so that I can flash cm11 (hoping cm11 fixes the damn camera)?

Thanks for any/all help.
As you have already unlocked the BL all you need to do is flash a boot.img from flashtool or fastboot. If you want to do a nandroid before flashing CM11 then you can hot boot the boot.img, so I'll give you that method:
  1. Extract boot.img from chosen ROM and save on PC
  2. Copy ROM to internal SD somewhere (Carbon & Omni all have working camera, not sure about CM but it should)
  3. Boot into fastboot mode
    • Power off phone
    • Connect to PC while holding vol up
  4. Hot boot boot.img:
    • "fastboot boot boot.img"
    or
    • Flashtool => Flash => Fastboot => Hotboot boot.img
  5. Enter recovery when LED goes purple during boot by pressing vol up
  6. Make nandroid backup
  7. Wipe /data and both caches
  8. Flash ROM
  9. Reboot
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Forboding Angel
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Awesome, thanks for the help!

I am, however, still confused about the recovery issues. Wouldn't your instructions cause me to end up with cm11 (or whatever other rom) with a stock recovery?

I dislike that as I prefer to have all of the abilities and features provided by TWRP (specifically) or cwm.

Or am I missing something really basic here?

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 1083

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the help!

I am, however, still confused about the recovery issues. Wouldn't your instructions cause me to end up with cm11 (or whatever other rom) with a stock recovery?

I dislike that as I prefer to have all of the abilities and features provided by TWRP (specifically) or cwm.

Or am I missing something really basic here?
on the xperia (and other sony?) phones we have to bake recovery into the boot.img, the GPe is different in that it has a full stock recovery as the ZU doesn't. The boot.img from ROMs for the GPe still has a recovery baked in to the boot image. So flashing a boot.img will give you a custom recovery. In the case of CM and Carbon that is CWM and I think Omni uses TWRP. This custom recovery doesn't overwrite the stock one.
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Forboding Angel
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether View Post
on the xperia (and other sony?) phones we have to bake recovery into the boot.img, the GPe is different in that it has a full stock recovery as the ZU doesn't. The boot.img from ROMs for the GPe still has a recovery baked in to the boot image. So flashing a boot.img will give you a custom recovery. In the case of CM and Carbon that is CWM and I think Omni uses TWRP. This custom recovery doesn't overwrite the stock one.
Someone should sticky this and put it in giant red text at the top of this subforum. It answers 99% of the questions I imagine most people have when coming here and trying to figure out a new environment.

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 1083

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Someone should sticky this and put it in giant red text at the top of this subforum. It answers 99% of the questions I imagine most people have when coming here and trying to figure out a new environment.
Adding to the GPe guide
Charles

The Following User Says Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adrienned
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm running a locked bootloader so I can't do the img files (I think!) Is there any 4.4.4 full stock/signed zip that I can flash through normal recovery? I fiddled with my sound and completely have no sound and want to try to restore but can't seem to find a full rom (not an incremental OTA)

I just want a stock zip. When I try to use the 4.4.2 it says I can't downgrade