Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 46,013 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Self crack glass.. anyone?

Tip us?

funky0308
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 5040

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Twelve View Post
Why is it the people doing the complaining have just one post to their name. This started like 3 weeks back. Only one post. You'd think they'd be a bit more worked up right. You read the craziest things on the sony forum.

Have noticed a similar trend on product review sites, for 5 star as well as one star reviews. Just one post and post date is the same as join date and these people are never to be heard from again.

Why does glass break ? either stress or a temperature differential.

Don't cool an overheated phone under the tap. It might 'self crack'.
It's interesting yeah...

I know many guys who had Xperia S, then Xperia Z/Z1 and now Z2 and are here on XDA for years...

No one is complaining for anything...

It's interesting to see that all problems are coming from (for us) new users...

I'm not trying to say they are lying, no, I'm sure that's all true but, obviously, they are doing things we don't.

I would never record 5-10 mins of 4K videos then test waterproof in cold water (I know someone who did that )

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

fabianosan
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb Device extremelly fragile

I let the device fall from a 10 cm height and it get screen cracked. An imperceptible cracked, but enough to touch stop working and start working on it's own.

So, warranty void and not this issue was not covered.

I'll fix it myself.

I bought the LCD/touch on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291156670568...84.m1439.l2649

And the sticker tape adhesive to try to maintain the phone waterproof:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371094473964...84.m1439.l2649

I believe that the process to replace the front glass is the same of the Z1 and help can be found in many youtube videos.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=NPND7AXFGXJLY&lc=BR  &item_name=vitucci&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonat  ionsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted

SB13X
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Let me add my Z2 to the mix as well. Check me out on Twitter @stublake13 and let me know on there if you have had this issue and your experiences with warranty so I can bombard Sony with them along with mine or do the same and just include me in your tweets to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CrackedZ2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2859988  

S@LEM
Old
(Last edited by S@LEM; 29th July 2014 at 09:00 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

and more coming:
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia...690915/page/14

i guess everyone should wait for the Z3, or buy a recent patch of the device
Attached Images
File Type: jpg selfcrack2.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (21.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg selfcrack32.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (30.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg selfcrack3.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (31.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg selfcrack11.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (173.4 KB, 138 views)

S@LEM
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

Mk-Raul
Old
Thanks Meter 0
That last one is clearly a dropped phone... You can see where the impact happened, come on...

effective
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Well that's the cost of having a high class looking device.. :/
Xperia Z2 - RooTeD : Bootloader - Locked : Stock 4.4.2 for now (:
Xperia ZR - Bootloader - Unlocked - BE-2 Saved - CyanogenMod 11 - 4.4.4 - RooTeD - cWm
Xperia X8 - Bootloader - Unlocked : 10w47 - Kernel : Alfs 10 - RoM : GDX v 31b - Max : 748MhZ

BanziBaby
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Like others have said a lot of the images posted do seem to be due to drops, I have only dropped mine once in the kitchen onto a concrete floor & the glass was fine, the drop was about 4 feet & was accidental.

I used to work in a call centre & quite a few folk there were moaning about cracked screen on other phones but that was due to them walking around the edges of the desks & cracking the phone on the corners of the desk when it was in the pocket, almost done it myself with my old S3.

APATRAO
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Self Cracked Z2

Im a big Sony fan and after holding a Iphone 5 I bought a Sony Z2 (about 1 month ago). A few days after using it and being so happy with this amazing phone i found out the crack on the backside. This crack seems to be behind de glass but after a while it expanded a litle to the outer part of the glass. I sent the Z2 to the store and Im waiting for na awnser. Big disappointment

kylecummins
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Happened to me today. Phone was in my pocket (made sure it was alone). I had nilken glass on and when I pulled my phone from my pocket the screen had a crazy looking crack in it, I removed the tempered glass and to my dismay the screen was also cracked from top left to bottom right about an inch from the bottom. The phone was immediately rendered unless so I went and purchased another one, it wasn't until then that I googled and found out this is pretty common occurrence.

There was no impact or drop to my phone in the 3 months of its existence so I'm hoping Sony will fix it..

Boy was I mad!