Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 47,686 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will the new UI still have dreadful gallery scroll lag?

Tip us?

Billy Madison
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214

TouchWiz gallery scroll lag demo

So Optimus UI had not have THAT kind of lag in their 4.1.2 ROM on OG Pro. What had changed?

Billy Madison
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214
Now, what I've come to conclusion is that these lags and stutters are caused by bad CPU governor used, like "ondemand" instead of "interactive". And second reason is too short polling interval, CPU drops frequency too fast and lowered CPU frequency while scrolling causes stutters and hickups. Somebody posted in some topic that when he increased polling interval to 45000 (ticks or somthng) the smoothness raised and G3 stopped lagging at all
And third reason is too bad design of CPU cooling made by LG. Here is the demonstration. CPU does not have proper thermal pad, so it spikes frequency and get too hot very fast, so it immediately lowers frequency down, and that is reason of stutters. HTC M8, Xperia Z2 and Galaxy S5 all have proper thermal cooling around SD801 so antutu doesn't suffer so much on them

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Now, what I've come to conclusion is that these lags and stutters are caused by bad CPU governor used, like "ondemand" instead of "interactive". And second reason is too short polling interval, CPU drops frequency too fast and lowered CPU frequency while scrolling causes stutters and hickups. Somebody posted in some topic that when he increased polling interval to 45000 (ticks or somthng) the smoothness raised and G3 stopped lagging at all
And third reason is too bad design of CPU cooling made by LG. Here is the demonstration. CPU does not have proper thermal pad, so it spikes frequency and get too hot very fast, so it immediately lowers frequency down, and that is reason of stutters. HTC M8, Xperia Z2 and Galaxy S5 all have proper thermal cooling around SD801 so antutu doesn't suffer so much on them
I just opened FauxClock on my device and my governor is set to interactive not ondemand. - Now obviously I can't change it because of no custom kernel etc.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

Billy Madison
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214

Billy Madison
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214
9:9

As much as haters gonna hate but there is no perceivable difference between speed of user interface between G3 and Galaxy S5 or any other flagships like HTC M8 or Nexus 5 as can be seen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Test.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2861181  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billy Madison For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Billy Madison
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214

Billy Madison
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214

Billy Madison
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214

How come I don't notice no lag in this whole unboxing video?

Tags
lags, optimus ui, scroll lag