Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,457 Members 51,542 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][ROOT] O+ 8.31z MT6572

Tip us?

btiu
Old
(Last edited by btiu; 11th June 2014 at 04:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Tutorial [GUIDE][ROOT] O+ 8.31z MT6572

This thread shall strive to be an all-in-one thread for the phone O+ 8.31z. And to be noob friendly as well. As of now, I have only very limited knowledge so I'll be adding stuff as I go.

Phone Specs:

Quote:
CPU: MT6572 1GHz Dual-Core
Architecture: ARM Cortex-A7
Clock Speed: 598 MHz - 1.00 GHz-----
GPU Vendor: ARM
GPU Renderer: Mali-400 MP
UBIFS File system
Android: 4.2.2
Kernel Architecture: armv7I
Default Governor: Hotplug
Screen Res: 320x480
Density: 160dpi
RAM: 219MB
Internal Storage: 0.16GB
Sensors: Proximity, Light, 3-axis.

For drivers, connect your phone to windows PC, download PDANET (search for it on google) and let it install drivers for your phone.

Preface: TOOLS and THREADS TO BE USED
1. MTK Droid Root and Tools by xda senior member rua1. Press thanks in his thread! Compatible with Windows and Linux(with wine).
2. SP Flash Tool Credits to Khonshu of china.phonearena. I downloaded v3.1344. Here's an xda thread on what you can do with it: Click Me! Troubleshooting SP flash tools: .Click here!
3. Pdanet for Windows drivers

Chapter 1.0.0: HOW TO ENABLE PHONE MODES
Steps:
1.1.0 For MTP mode

1.2.0 For ADB mode

1. Go to Settings>About Phone
2. Click Build number about 6 times, quickly. Developer Options should now appear.
3. Go back to settings then click Developer Options. Here you find so many things you thought didnt exist :P
4. For now, we only check USB debugging. When a pop-up appears, just click "ok". Done!

1.3.0How to enter recovery mode: (Credits to phcorner.com O+8.52 thread)

Method 1:
1. Remove battery and reinsert.
2. Press Volume Up and power key simultaneously.
3. A blank screen with an android lying down and a red exclamation triangle should appear now.
4. Press Power button once, and the menu will appear.
5. To navigate, Power: Show/Hide options. Vol UP: Confirm. Vol Down: Scroll.
6. When done, reboot system to exit.

Method 2: When you're on a PC,
1. Connect Phone in USB debugging mode.
2. Open cmd (or terminal then change directory to your adb folder) and
Code:
adb reboot recovery

1.4.0 For Phone test mode

1. Press Volume Down and Power simultaneously.
2. Choose among the options.
3. When done, remove battery to exit.
(It seems like reinserting the battery and doing VolDown+Home combo does not do anything else)

1.5.0 For fastboot (aka bootloader) mode

Requirements: Since you want to use fastboot, then you must be on an adb configured computer
1. Open cmd (or terminal then change directory to your adb folder)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
3. Wait for the phone. Done!

Chapter 2.0.0: ROOTING
Why root?

There are many methods to rooting. I will list what I know might work. I'm 99.9% sure the first one works (given you are not stuck in a bootloop.)
2.1.0 Shuame ROOT Genius
Download
Info: This is a one-click PC application. I have used this in Windows 7 32-bit and in lubuntu 13.10 and it works. If your phone is not an MT6572 I'd still recommend that you try this as it can root almost anything! It installs Kinguser as the superuser app.

2.1.1 Requirements for Windows PC: A Windows PC, a USB cable, your phone, and a fully downloaded shuame root genius. No drivers needed as shuame root genius already installs them for you.

2.1.2 Requirements For Linux PC users: A linux PC, a USB cable, your phone, a fully downloaded shuame root genius, WINE, and adb (I might be wrong here, but get this: Since drivers are not really used, we need our phone to be given adb permissions by linux, or else shuame will not be able to recognize your phone. So you will probably need to have adb installed first, just to be sure.)
For info on how to do that, check here: Click Me!
Also, shuame root genius does not display well under wine in my case, but the buttons were clickable anyway so it still works. From here, it's pretty much the same procedures.

2.1.3 Steps:
I made a visual guide here:

And in text, here:

1. Connect your phone to PC using the USB cable and go to MTP mode. See Chapter 1.1.0 for help
4. Enable USB debugging. See Chapter 1.2.0 for help.
5. Open Shuame Root Genius. It will connect to your phone automatically and install drivers for about 3-5 minutes. (No more driver installation on linux PCs)
6. Click "Root it". You should now see your device as rooted. And if you click back, you can unroot. Done!
2.2.0Eroot
Download/help thread
Info: Another tool by Chinese developers. I tried it on my lubuntu 13.10 WINE and it worked flawlessly! I'm pretty sure it'll work on a Windows PC as well. It installs superuser by clockworkmod.

2.2.1 Requirements: See 2.1.1 and 2.1.2.
2.2.2 Steps:
Visual guide

Textual guide here:

1. Connect your phone to PC using the USB cable and go to MTP mode. See Chapter 1.1.0 for help
4. Enable USB debugging. See Chapter 1.2.0 for help.
5. Open eroot. It will connect to your phone automatically.
6. Click the root button. It's the only button anyway. When you have rooted successfully, you can click the 解除 button to unroot if you wish. Done!
2.3.0 MTK Droid root and tools

Connect Phone in ADB and MTP mode.
Download/Help thread can be found in Preface
Run MTK Droid Tools. Wait for it to recognize and establish a connection with your phone. This should appear after a minute:

Take note that a blue rectangle on the lower left means you're still not rooted. Press ROOT.
Wait for about three to five minutes. In my case, MTK Droid tools crashed So I didn't see a superuser app.
But I downloaded root checker and sure enough, my phone was rooted. Only the superuser app was missing.
I also opened MTK Droid tools again and saw a green rectangle (which means I am rooted )

So now, technically, you are rooted. But we still need a superuser app, so I downloaded a superuser app that I liked and updated the binary. I downloaded SuperSU by chainfire from the play store. Done!

or, you could try the superuser button in the root, backup, recovery tab. I didn't try it though :P
2.4.0 Other stuff you might wanna try or know about if none of these methods worked for you, here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2523814
Give thanks where due.
Devices:
Xperia NeoV MT11i

SiriusUI 1.2
LegacyXperia Kernel
Must try KK: C-Rom: 3andala
Must try JB: RacingBean:headfox
Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360++++++++O+8.31z | GT-P1000

Stock GB
Stock DXLC Kernel
Stock Recovery (as of now)
rooted
Fave Kernel: savie's kernel

btiu
Old
(Last edited by btiu; 9th June 2014 at 03:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Chapter 3.0.0: RECOVERY STUFF

3.2.0 How to backup stock recovery
3.3.0 What is clockworkmod recovery?
3.4.0 What is carliv touch recovery?

Chapter 4.0.0: ADD INIT.D SUPPORT TO STOCK ROM
Check here! http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1933849

I haven't personally tried any one yet. You are always proceeding at your own risk :P
Give thanks where due.
Devices:
Xperia NeoV MT11i

SiriusUI 1.2
LegacyXperia Kernel

Stock GB
Stock DXLC Kernel
rooted

btiu
Old
(Last edited by btiu; 9th June 2014 at 03:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Battery Full Tweak for speed, battery life, and other cool/useful stuff.

Chapter 5.0.0: Speed

There are tons of stuff to speed up your phone, and they're not just limited to one specific phone. So bring in the list.

1. Use Greenify (find it in the play store)
Requirements: Root (optional for auto-hibernation. Highly Recommended.), Android 4.0+
You may greenify stuff like Guardian if you are not using it, or maybe the FB app too. Saves some battery and gives a little free ram for better multitasking.
2. Disable fancy window animations and transitions
Go to settings>developer options and disable the three animation options to animation off.
3. Use a cpu controller like No Frills CPU control (find it in the play store)
Controls how fast or slow you want your CPU to go. Default Governor is hotplug.
For a faster phone, set the governor to performance. It sets the CPU to scale to the max that you set. Use when you are playing heavy games.
For a battery saving phone, set the governor to powersave. It sets the CPU to scale to the min that you set. Use when you only plan to use really light apps.
For a balance between performance and battery save, it's probably best to go back to hotplug since it can turn the second core on or off depending on your usage.
4. Tweaks and Scripts
Info: Tweaks refers to build.prop tweaks. Scripts refer to init.d scripts. So this is a two-part thing. Adding build.prop tweaks, and running init.d scripts. Some do this two-part thing simultaneously in one flasher. Others, separate the tweak part from the script part. The reason they do this is because phones running from stock usually do not support init.d scripts, but only build.prop tweaks.

Our 8.31z cannot support init.d (yet) so for now we will only do the tweak part.
1. Tweak part of [ SCRIPT | TWEAK ] ◢ Project Fluid™ ◣ by Spex. Recommended.
Please press thanks in his thread! This is not my work.
Project Fluid has a separable tweak part. I didn't apply all as some are optional. So I just applied it and what happened?
Using Antutu X Benchmark
Before Project Fluid Tweak: 7334
After Project Fluid Tweak: 9264!!!
I only selected some of the tweaks (i.e. I didn't use "unlock with volume rocker and other stuff like that) Here's what I added to my build.prop. Feel free to do the same.project fluid tweaks(selected).txt
How to:

1. Open ES explorer (I'm using latest version)
2. Copy the tweaks that you want to add to build prop. Find the tweaks in spex's post or copy my selected tweaks. And thank spex in his thread.
3. Press the menu button on your phone. Click tools. Click on for root explorer and grant root permissions.
4. Click root explorer. Click Mount R/W. Choose R/W for /system and click ok.
5. Navigate to /system and open build.prop with ES note editor. Press the menu button on your phone and click edit.
6. Now paste the tweaks into the build.prop file. Or type them manually :P
7. Reboot and enjoy!
2. Tweak of Dash-M Script and tweak by myaservip
Dash-M has a tweak part and a script part too. If you want to try Dash-M Tweak, go to his myaservip's thread and download the zip, transfer to the root of your sdcard, go to recovery mode, and flash from there.But personally, Project Fluid's tweaks are more complete. I haven't tried Dash-M script since we haven't added init.d so stay tuned.
3. Script and Tweak of ★ [MOD] ◢ PurePerformances™X ◣ | Golden Edition | Scary performances on Android by Jeeko
This is a single inseparable script and tweak in one so we cannot use it yet. Stay tuned.
General reminder: Tweaks and scripts are usually not mix-able. So remove one before trying another.

Chapter 6.0.0: Cool/Useful Stuff
1. Xposed Framework and Modules.
Our device can definitely benefit from Xposed modules! 4.2 is capable of running these.
2. TouchPal Keyboard
A good replacement to stock keyboard. Contains different keyboard layouts and support for tons of languages! And if you have experienced the keyboard not pressing the right button, this might be a better replacement.
3. Moreto come.
Give thanks where due.
Devices:
Xperia NeoV MT11i

SiriusUI 1.2
LegacyXperia Kernel

Stock GB
Stock DXLC Kernel
rooted

zildjosh97
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi there fellow Filipino! Please continue what you're doing. I can help you in some way in installing CWM-esque recovery tool for our phone. As it is a UBIFS-type system, many have said that it's a tricky job. A lot have failed but some did it successfully like me. I followed this tutorial from here

chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thread-CWM-For-All-MTK-Easy-Magic-CWM-MT6575-MT6515-MT6577-MT6517-MT6589-MT6582-MT6592

Sorry I can't post links yet because this is a new account.

So I was able to boot into recovery, but I stopped there until someone successfully restore our phone from a backup (even if it's just stock ROM)

Cheers! You should try it!

PS. I tried your build.prop and benchmarked afterwards, only to get about 7100+. HOW DID YOU GET TO 9K?! Please indicate if you have a lot of apps and is greenify and that cpu tool the only apps you're using for speed?

After sometime though, my phone got slow, so I deleted the added lines in build.prop and speed went back on. What's happening?

zildjosh97
Old
(Last edited by zildjosh97; 14th August 2014 at 10:44 AM.) Reason: Updating the post
Thanks Meter 0
Successfully enabled init.d! I used term-init. It was so easy! Just a matter of minutes. Now, to try some scripts...

Edit: Currently backing up using Carliv Touch Recovery, the MTK compatible CWM recovery tool, before going further. Will try restoring it later. If it is a success, then Chapter 3 is done!
Tags
guide, mt6572, o+ 8.31z, root