Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,546 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

M8 Verizon not able to be unlocked through HTC Dev

Tip us?

lahegry
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragmentedLogik View Post
so if i pay the $25 x 2 devices does it give S-Off and unlock the bootloader?
Yes
Currently has LG Intuition
Speak Softly And Carry A Cool Phone

BadUsername
Old
(Last edited by BadUsername; 12th August 2014 at 09:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk View Post
I'm glad that you feel this way, but a lot of people don't feel this way. While the work is worth something, and always appreciated there are some polices that are kind of ridiculous. For example: You have some form of hardware issue, a factory defect, the vib motor stops working etc... post paying the 25 buck fee... After you get the device replaced, You you have to pay again, same fee.

Whilst the work is appreciated, and your opinion is noted, please don't dictate the feelings people have about paying for what was once free. This is the first time, a software modification such as S-Off / Bootloader unlocking has become real.

Now I know you want to bring up the bounty threads, those are people who are trying to motivate the devs to unlock. People who have spare cash. Some people don't really have a spare 25 bucks. While that number may not seem like a lot to you, it's a lot for a college student, I know no one is forcing anything on any of us but again, we must come back to my point, it was free before, now it's paid. It stings a little. No one is being ungrateful, we're just confused. When you get used to something you like keeping it. I.E. free mods, and the benefits of Unlocked bootloaders (Yay CM)

This is not an attack against the sunshine team. They have and will continue to do good work, which I appreciate.
Sunshine was never free, firewater was, they are completely different methods and aren't even related. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The only reason I agree with them charging $25 per device is to keep sunshine up to date throughout the life of the device. If you had a samsung s4 or s3 and received a warranty replacement from a phone that was unlocked to a new one, the new phone would be locked with no exploit. Wouldn't you rather know that the phone you're receiving can still be unlocked? I think so. Makes me much less concerned about exchanging my phone if I need to.

Even $25 isn't too much for a college student. Save a dollar a day, or don't drink coffee or tea for a week. I've never met a college student who couldn't save $25 for something they really want.

Sunshine is great for what it does, firewater would be impossible for them to keep updated at this point anyway. There's a reason they developed sunshine's exploit over firewater's. It's a much better method.

Bootloader exploits are something special anyway. Gives you complete freedom to do anything you want, including the ability to permaroot the phone without an exploit. Samsung owners have to use exploits to root, and it sucks when Verizon patches those exploits. The bounty has to be restarted and paid all over again, and causes device fragmentation.

A bootloader unlock for all versions of a phone is great for the community, all roms will run great across all devices and the guides will all remain exactly the same. That alone is worth $25 to me.

the_rooter
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Sunshine was never free, firewater was, they are completely different methods and aren't even related. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The only reason I agree with them charging $25 per device is to keep sunshine up to date throughout the life of the device. If you had a samsung s4 or s3 and received a warranty replacement from a phone that was unlocked to a new one, the new phone would be locked with no exploit. Wouldn't you rather know that the phone you're receiving can still be unlocked? I think so. Makes me much less concerned about exchanging my phone if I need to.

Even $25 isn't too much for a college student. Save a dollar a day, or don't drink coffee or tea for a week. I've never met a college student who couldn't save $25 for something they really want.

Sunshine is great for what it does, firewater would be impossible for them to keep updated at this point anyway. There's a reason they developed sunshine's exploit over firewater's. It's a much better method.

Bootloader exploits are something special anyway. Gives you complete freedom to do anything you want, including the ability to permaroot the phone without an exploit. Samsung owners have to use exploits to root, and it sucks when Verizon patches those exploits. The bounty has to be restarted and paid all over again, and causes device fragmentation.

A bootloader unlock for all versions of a phone is great for the community, all roms will run great across all devices and the guides will all remain exactly the same. That alone is worth $25 to me.
I been trying to explain to him. Thanks
Current Phone: Verizon HTC One M8
Current Tablet: Verizon Sony Xperia Z2

Past Phones:
Verizon LG G2
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
Verizon Motorola Droid Mini

Past Tablets:
Google Nexus 7 2013 wifi

android
The Following User Says Thank You to the_rooter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]