Mirror PC to Glass

OP jewnersey

16th June 2014, 01:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 82

1,111 posts
Lots about going Glass to PC but what about the other way around? Like TeamViewer etc?

Don't need input, just streaming display.

Thoughts ?
16th June 2014, 02:44 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 18

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewnersey

Lots about going Glass to PC but what about the other way around? Like TeamViewer etc?

Don't need input, just streaming display.

Thoughts ?

I think; glass processing power, glass data streaming, and glass battery life while data streaming are the limiting factors. These may change with updated hardware.

However, small screen size, and the lag that comes with all RDP streaming would also make it impractical.

Lastly I don't see how it would be that useful (I'd love to hear what you have in mind though) and I still haven't addressed the other problem, which is is it sounds like a lot of work to code.
16th June 2014, 10:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 82

1,111 posts
I'm doing my PhD (psychology) and will be using Glass throughout. Essentially, I need a computer to 'talk' to glass in real time and have a series of computer streams be available to the Glass wearer, either by swipeable cards, or some type of quad view layout. I was hoping that a direct video stream would be simpler than writing full software (especially since I've only just begun to learn java).

Battery can be dealt with (external battery pack).
Data over WiFi should be good enough.

I found this
https://developers.google.com/glass/...ttaching_video
But we run into programming limitations at the moment.

And I saw someone had made an app that streamed from a Go PRO camera via a URL , with camera connected to PC, but I think updates have killed that option, for now. I have tried to sidleoad several VNC client apps but I can't access any of the fields to fill in server information.
Last edited by jewnersey; 16th June 2014 at 10:40 PM.
15th August 2014, 10:33 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 18

18 posts
t
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewnersey

I'm doing my PhD (psychology) and will be using Glass throughout. Essentially, I need a computer to 'talk' to glass in real time and have a series of computer streams be available to the Glass wearer, either by swipeable cards, or some type of quad view layout. I was hoping that a direct video stream would be simpler than writing full software (especially since I've only just begun to learn java).

Battery can be dealt with (external battery pack).
Data over WiFi should be good enough.

I found this
https://developers.google.com/glass/...ttaching_video
But we run into programming limitations at the moment.

And I saw someone had made an app that streamed from a Go PRO camera via a URL , with camera connected to PC, but I think updates have killed that option, for now. I have tried to sidleoad several VNC client apps but I can't access any of the fields to fill in server information.

I think it is definitely possible with cards but I don't think streaming is. I have a GoPro hero 3 black edition and it is capable of streaming because it creates its own WiFi hotspot that a phone can connect to and stream from although it gets very hot while doing it and reduces battery quickly.

I think the cards option would work best, what type of data are you going to be displaying? Lastly I think once the newer model comes out with more RAM, a better processor, and a better battery that it will be much more possible to stream a live feed from the computer. It is definitely possible in terms of software, its just a matter of how difficult. I'm not sure if the current Glass software is going to be able to do the trick. But since glass is really an android phone you might be able to talk to th developer of an already-existing android phone app that streams from a computer (there are lots of them). They might give you a general idea of how to code for it.

I did look at the link but I know very little about Java (although that will change soon) and I only know some C++ so sadly I can't help you with the actual code.
Last edited by tech.central; 15th August 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread