Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,793 Members 41,439 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Minix NEO X8 and X8-H Amlogic S802 Quad Core TV BOX

Tip us?

ice_v88
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirxdroid View Post
Can the cheaper non-H version do audio bitstreaming via HDMI for DD5.1, DTS, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD? I don't mind if the player itself can't decode them as long as it can pass the bitstream to my AVR which will take care of it.

Also, what is the verdict on Netflix HD streaming *with* 5.1 audio?

So far the only HTPC that I found capable of doing all of the above is a PC running Win 8.1, but this little box looks mighty interesting. I'd love it to be able to move away from Windows.
In theory if you connect via HDMI it should eat through does audio codecs flawlessly. I'm getting the H version anyway cause I might move it from the living room to my room/studio so i won't be having an AVR connected to it anymore.

Here's another good question:

What are the odds of the X8/X8-H getting updated (via official firmware, or community hackery) to the "Android L" version that's coming later this year?

sirxdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Quote:
Can the cheaper non-H version do audio bitstreaming via HDMI for DD5.1, DTS, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD? I don't mind if the player itself can't decode them as long as it can pass the bitstream to my AVR which will take care of it.
I contacted GeekBuying.com and they replied that bitstreaming is supported.

Quote:
Also, what is the verdict on Netflix HD streaming *with* 5.1 audio?
Unfortunately they also said that Netflix 1080p with DD Plus audio is not supported by any of the Android TV boxes they sell

Looks like Windows 8.1 still rules the HTPC if you want to get them all working in 1 box.

sam9s
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Hi all

Planning to get this player .... Netflix 5.1 is not what I care however bitstreaming DD, DTS, DD THD and DTA MA 5.1 is very imp for my decission. Has anyone actually tested that and can confirm if it works .... thanks ...
HTC One | Samsung Galaxy Nexus | iPhone 4

HIMANEN
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The Minix 8 will never support anything better than DTS , thats info i got from the developers you could use a DTS-HD but it will only play the DTS core.

There is a hardware limitation.

This said user Minix on their forum.

"The hardware is limited and doesn't have enough links to passthrough those streams. (limited I2S channels)"

sirxdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMANEN View Post
The Minix 8 will never support anything better than DTS , thats info i got from the developers you could use a DTS-HD but it will only play the DTS core.

There is a hardware limitation.

This said user Minix on their forum.

"The hardware is limited and doesn't have enough links to passthrough those streams. (limited I2S channels)"
Why does it care what's in the bitstream? It should just pass the raw bits over HDMI, to an AVR or whatever needs to do the decoding.

HIMANEN
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Why does it care what's in the bitstream? It should just pass the raw bits over HDMI, to an AVR or whatever needs to do the decoding.
i havent a slightest clue now im trying to get the external usb hd as act as extsd.
i have the 16gb version but the memory dont last long and putting in a sdhc card will alway
cause problem when its hot.

djnata
Old
Thanks Meter 8
New Beta out! Still waiting for final version and the fixes

willmatt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Minix neo x8-h

How do I set up Live TV viewing on the MINI NEO X8-H please ?

burt_ie
Old
(Last edited by burt_ie; 14th August 2014 at 05:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 67
I've been looking to purchase a MINI NEO X8-H as a replacement for my WDTV Media Player (3rd Gen).

I mainly use my WDTV to stream media (video/music/pictures) from Plex and Serviio media server from my PC to my living room. My WDTV is connected to my Onkyo amp and 5.1 surround sound system and TV (which is only 720p/1080i but looking to upgrade soon). the WDTV is good for what it does but it's interface is slow and clumsy!

As long as I can watch my videos which are mostly MKV's (H264) and DTS sound I'll be happy, anything else extra will be an added bonus.

My Onky Amp supports HD sound (and all those other ones what ever they may be) but to be honest I've never really been to bothered by that, as long as the sound is in 5.1 and DTS I'm happy.

I'm also a big fan of browsing my media servers from my tablet/phone (running android) using the Bubbleupnp app and then "flinging" media to my WDTV to play. Is the NEO X8-H able to do this? I also do this using the Youtube app. If I can do this with the NEO X8-H i think it's going to be a purchase from me.

I'm also interested in trying out XMBC as I have never used it before and it seems to be a popular choice, again all my media will be coming from my PC over my home network (wired)

How is everyone finding the MINI NEO X8-H? Do you think it would be a worthy upgrade?

mordbane
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by burt_ie View Post
I've been looking to purchase a MINI NEO X8-H as a replacement for my WDTV Media Player (3rd Gen).

I mainly use my WDTV to stream media (video/music/pictures) from Plex and Serviio media server from my PC to my living room. My WDTV is connected to my Onkyo amp and 5.1 surround sound system and TV (which is only 720p/1080i but looking to upgrade soon). the WDTV is good for what it does but it's interface is slow and clumsy!

As long as I can watch my videos which are mostly MKV's (H264) and DTS sound I'll be happy, anything else extra will be an added bonus.

My Onky Amp supports HD sound (and all those other ones what ever they may be) but to be honest I've never really been to bothered by that, as long as the sound is in 5.1 and DTS I'm happy.

I'm also a big fan of browsing my media servers from my tablet/phone (running android) using the Bubbleupnp app and then "flinging" media to my WDTV to play. Is the NEO X8-H able to do this? I also do this using the Youtube app. If I can do this with the NEO X8-H i think it's going to be a purchase from me.

I'm also interested in trying out XMBC as I have never used it before and it seems to be a popular choice, again all my media will be coming from my PC over my home network (wired)

How is everyone finding the MINI NEO X8-H? Do you think it would be a worthy upgrade?
I've used the Sony network player in the past to stream all my media to various TVs and now I use android boxes and the Serviigo app. It works really well with an air mouse. I have S89-H which is almost a clone of the X8-H and it plays 1080p MKVs with no stuttering. XBMC is a great app addition but it's more popular for its plugins than for network media playback. I find it clunky for that.

Tags
minix neo x8-h, minix neo x8-h firmware, minix neo x8-h review, minix neo x8-h root, minix neo x8h