Post Reply

Camera Lens Scratches

3rd August 2014, 09:03 AM   |  #31  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywojdan81

How expensive and how much work?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I had an HTC Desire that I replaced the lens cover with a sapphire window from Edmund Optics for about $30 plus a few bucks shipping, but I couldn't find the right size domestically. I ended up ordering from an English company (Crystan) for 30 plus shipping. Without asking, they sent it two-day shipping for 20 (ouch!)

To install, I scored around the original lens cover with a needle to remove what appeared to be adhesive. A jeweler's loupe came in handy here. Eventually, I was able to pry the lens cover off (with the needle) in broken pieces. The lens cover is adhered to a rubber-like base (a lot of folks have noticed that the lens cover seems to float a bit when pressed) and I would recommend heating the area before trying to remove (I didn't). Once off, I installed the sapphire window (12.0mm x 1.0mm is a perfect fit) and applied pressure all around and it seems to have adhered to the rubber base OK. I've had it on for a couple of weeks with no problems. The only thing that is different (other than the extreme clarity and hardness) is the original had black paint on the back to decrease the aperture. This doesn't seem to cause any problems, but in some circumstances may cause some adverse effects. I haven't seen any yet, though.

Hope this answers your question..
Last edited by Johanre; 3rd August 2014 at 09:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johanre For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2014, 07:30 PM   |  #32  
Junior Member
Earth
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Thumbs down HTC One M8 worst camera lens cover EVER!
Hi there,

Yes, we have 3 HTC One M8 and all of them had really bad micro scratches (foggy-like). we have had HTC Evos 4G and never had that issue before. Now the picture quality sucks! on all of them.

HTC should to a RECALL for all of the HTC One M8's and have replaced the glass cover for the main rear camera.


Thank you



Quote:
Originally Posted by mandroid2010

So had the M8 for about a month wrapped it i a slick skin and has a case on it. Yesterday i noticed the camera lens has a ton of fine scratches.

Has anyone else notice this?

You would think that the camera glass would have been made out of gorilla glass also.

Ugh HTC now i know why i have avoided you.

would post a pick but cannot get the camera to focus on the scratches.

13th August 2014, 11:00 PM   |  #33  
RikRong's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 434
 
1,185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocbaz

Hi there,

Yes, we have 3 HTC One M8 and all of them had really bad micro scratches (foggy-like). we have had HTC Evos 4G and never had that issue before. Now the picture quality sucks! on all of them.

HTC should to a RECALL for all of the HTC One M8's and have replaced the glass cover for the main rear camera.


Thank you

This has been discussed extensively. You can get rid of the coating on the lenses that causes the scratches, or you can get the lens protectors that are sold by Slickdeals.
15th August 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #34  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46
 
216 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
So glad it's not my actually glass! I noticed these hairline 'scratches' appear in the last two weeks and they drive me nuts. One goes right across the lens so at night all lights have streaks and during the day things are fussy.

Has anyone removed this coating and found they still get scratches? I'm just worried that by removing the oil-phobic layer I'm opening myself up to actual glass scratches which, short of buffing the tiny surface, are permanent.
15th August 2014, 10:57 PM   |  #35  
garywojdan81's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 579
 
2,325 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong

This has been discussed extensively. You can get rid of the coating on the lenses that causes the scratches, or you can get the lens protectors that are sold by Slickdeals.

Just an fyi, the slickdeals protectors aren't all they're cracked up to be. They're very cloudy and aren't even the PET grade of film.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
15th August 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #36  
RikRong's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 434
 
1,185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywojdan81

Just an fyi, the slickdeals protectors aren't all they're cracked up to be. They're very cloudy and aren't even the PET grade of film.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I've had them on my phone for a while and my photos turn out fine. The lenses are fine too.[emoji106]
16th August 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #37  
garywojdan81's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 579
 
2,325 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong

I've had them on my phone for a while and my photos turn out fine. The lenses are fine too.[emoji106]

Glad they worked out for you. The ones they sent me were very hazy. They did make great templates for cutting some from better material though.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
16th August 2014, 06:00 AM   |  #38  
mlin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,014
 
4,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz

So glad it's not my actually glass! I noticed these hairline 'scratches' appear in the last two weeks and they drive me nuts. One goes right across the lens so at night all lights have streaks and during the day things are fussy.

Has anyone removed this coating and found they still get scratches? I'm just worried that by removing the oil-phobic layer I'm opening myself up to actual glass scratches which, short of buffing the tiny surface, are permanent.

I removed the film about a week ago using a drop off water and a credit card. So far, my lens is still in excellent shape. I'll report back in a month or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to mlin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #39  
CannedBullets's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 0
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
If worse comes to worse you can send it back to HTC customer support. That's what I did, I went with the option where they would ship me a new M8 while I sent the scratched lens M8 back to them.
16th August 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #40  
mlin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,014
 
4,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedBullets

If worse comes to worse you can send it back to HTC customer support. That's what I did, I went with the option where they would ship me a new M8 while I sent the scratched lens M8 back to them.

I was going to do this, bit after a quick Google search realized it's not the lens that's scratched. Found a simple method to remove the film and 5 minutes later my lens was crystal clear.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon One (M8) General by ThreadRank