Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,967 Members 47,398 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUTORIAL] How to write/copy/download to the external sd card

Tip us?

_eroz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
Lightbulb [TUTORIAL] How to write/copy/download to the external sd card

First of all, I would like to thank poolmaker who had a tutorial over at the Xperia Z1 forum. So go on over and give him thanks!

First you must be rooted. Second must have a file explorer. I personally use ES File Explorer so the steps below will be covering that file explorer.
  1. Open ES File Explorer.
  2. Open the Tools Menu.
  3. Make sure Root Explorer is turned on and long press over the name "Root Explorer".
  4. A sub-menu pops up, select Mount R/W. (if you don't do this the changes you make will not stick.) The next menu that pops up, you want to make /system RW by selecting the radio button.
  5. You then want to navigate to /system/etc/permissions.
  6. Scroll down and find platform.xml and make a copy of it and save it somewhere.
  7. Open the original file with ES Note Editor and then press the menu (the 3 vertical dots) to edit.
  8. Make the following changes
    Quote:
    <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>
    <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>
  9. Save the changes you make.
  10. Before you exit, check the permissions of the edited platform.xml. They should be (rw-/r/r).
  11. Reboot your phone and enjoy being able to download/write/copy to your external SD card again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to _eroz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tp2215
Old
Thanks Meter 2755

DONATE TO ME
This is a great tutorial to do it manually.
However you can also just install this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix
Install, run it and uninstall.
My Current Projects::

<------ If you like my work please hit thanks or donate!
My Devices::
Samsung Galaxy S5 -
Samsung Galaxy S3 - B&N Nook Color (Modified)
My Threads::
The Ultimate Android Ported Apps Directory!
T-Mobile Galaxy S5 Tips And Tricks Thread
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tp2215 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_eroz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2215 View Post
This is a great tutorial to do it manually.
However you can also just install this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix
Install, run it and uninstall.
Of course that is always an option, there are actually a few apps on the market that do this. I just thought since it is xda, people might want to do it manually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _eroz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deeznutz1977
Old
Thanks Meter 2741
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix

Sent from my bad ass Kryon infused Note 3

92drls
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I went through the whole tutorial, it worked great. Then I scrolled down and noticed there was an app, oh well. Thanks for the write-up!
Phone: T-Mo Galaxy S5
Modem UVU1BNG3
ROM: Omega V 7
Kernel Stock Omega
Recovery: Philz Touch

How's my driving? Hitting thanks means a lot!

G1, Mytouch, HD2, Nexus One, G2, Mytouch 4g, G2x, Sensation, Galaxy S3, S4, S5...

MIKE PH
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Please help. Can anyone give me a copy of their original platform.xml? Seems like I messed up mine. Can't find my back up. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Galaxy S V - Stock/Rooted
Galaxy S IV - Omega ROM
Galaxy S III - Omega ROM
Galaxy S II - Omega ROM
Galaxy Tab 2 - Stock/Rooted 4.2.2

Tigerjk1410
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I followed the steps in the first post and after I rebooted, messages keep popping up saying this and that failed to start and now I can't even use the phone because they pop up every 3 seconds.. I also can't see any files through a file browser or on the computer. I have a copy of my platform file on the phone but no way to get to it because no files show up in the file explorer. Any ideas? My phone is basically useless right now.

bgmikejr
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE PH View Post
Please help. Can anyone give me a copy of their original platform.xml? Seems like I messed up mine. Can't find my back up. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Here you go http://goo.gl/nlXWRE
Current Devices: HTC One M8 (Dev Edition), Samsung Galaxy S5 (TMO), LG Nexus 5 16GB, LG G3 (TMO), Moto X (GSM Unlocked), OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black.

Previous Devices: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (TMO), Samsung Galaxy S4 (TMO), Oppo Find 5, LG Optimus G Pro (AT&T), LG Nexus 4 16GB, HTC One (TMO), Nokia Lumia 521 (TMO), gooPhone i5, Google S4, Blu Life Play L100a, Blackberry Z10 (Unlocked), Moto X (Dev Edition), Galaxy Note 3 (TMO), LG Nexus 5 32GB.

thisisapoorusernamechoice
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I am so sorry for what is most likely a stupid question, but what is advantage of this? Does this address the issue of 4.4.x where we can't store our app data on our micro sd cards? Thanks in the advance for the help
Galaxy S4 Active i537 on stock, de-odexed 4.4.2 NE3 rooted using Geohot's towelroot
Retired (still working) Pantech Burst P9070 running Slimbean 3.1 final
Small squadron of cheap no-brand Chinese A13 Allwinner tablets to tinker with & not worry about bricking

"We are the universe experiencing itself."

ParrSt
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default What is the purpose of the mount r/w option?

I think I understand this but when I selected Root on, I was able to copy and overwrite and rename system files like SystemUI.apk. I did not have mount RW for the /system folder. So what exactly does the mounting do?

Bob