Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,799 Members 38,090 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Straight talk and the At&t model Galaxy S5

Tip us?

blazeit420
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default At&t s5 [g900a]

I rooted with Towelroot a couple days ago. I bought it for full price from AT&T as a GO phone 27 days ago. I asked them in the store if I would be able to switch it to straight talk, and they couldn't give me an answer. When I turn on my phone, it shows an unlocked lock, and has since I got it. Is my phone already unlocked and capable of moving to straight talk? Do I just need to buy the straight talk sim? Or can I just move my phone over by buying a month's service and changing my settings as the earlier posts in this thread? I'd appreciate some help. This is my first time rooting a phone on my own as well, so if anyone knows where some mods are for it, I'd like to know. I haven't found any that are conformed yet.

jaygo444
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeit420 View Post
I rooted with Towelroot a couple days ago. I bought it for full price from AT&T as a GO phone 27 days ago. I asked them in the store if I would be able to switch it to straight talk, and they couldn't give me an answer. When I turn on my phone, it shows an unlocked lock, and has since I got it. Is my phone already unlocked and capable of moving to straight talk? Do I just need to buy the straight talk sim? Or can I just move my phone over by buying a month's service and changing my settings as the earlier posts in this thread? I'd appreciate some help. This is my first time rooting a phone on my own as well, so if anyone knows where some mods are for it, I'd like to know. I haven't found any that are conformed yet.
Your AT&T phone is ready out of the box for Straight talk, no need to root or unlock, because Straight talk is a AT&T MVNO, it uses the same towers. Just make sure you purchase the AT&T sim card from Straight talk (NOT THE TMOBILE, they sell both)

Just pop the new straight card sim in,and just adjust the APN setting and manually enter in the posted info for the APN setting and everything work, phone data, mms, data all at 4G LTE speeds.

its the best alternative for an AT&T phone, other MVNO, caps data speeds to 8mbps ( cricket ) but Straight talk doesn't cap data speed, but ping times are longer than direct AT&T service, it takes a couple of seconds before data connects, not really noticeable, but for $47 bucks a months total, It cant be beat.

blazeit420
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default It's working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygo444 View Post
Your AT&T phone is ready out of the box for Straight talk, no need to root or unlock, because Straight talk is a AT&T MVNO, it uses the same towers. Just make sure you purchase the AT&T sim card from Straight talk (NOT THE TMOBILE, they sell both)

Just pop the new straight card sim in,and just adjust the APN setting and manually enter in the posted info for the APN setting and everything work, phone data, mms, data all at 4G LTE speeds.

its the best alternative for an AT&T phone, other MVNO, caps data speeds to 8mbps ( cricket ) but Straight talk doesn't cap data speed, but ping times are longer than direct AT&T service, it takes a couple of seconds before data connects, not really noticeable, but for $47 bucks a months total, It cant be beat.
I tried to get it to work through the straight talk website, and it told me there is no service for my zip code. It also wouldn't accept my IMEI. I called the straight talk number, and 2 separate associates had the same issue, and got stuck where you enter the MEID/IMEI. They put their supervisor on, and he got it working immediately. My service is consistently between 2 and 4 bars. Never 1, never 5. Internet is working well, haven't been able to check LTE yet, cause my town doesn't have it. I love straight talk. **** AT&T GO phone-2.5 gigs of data for $60/month. I'll go with unlimited/$48.

iBimmer
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayadom1 View Post
HERE ARE THE CORRECT SETTING-BEEN VERIFIED-
Name- Straight Talk AT&T (Can be anything you want)
APN- att.mvno
Proxy- Not Set
Port- Not Set
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMSC- http : // mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- Not Set
APN type- default,supl,mms
You won't get LTE with these APN settings. tfdata is the correct one for the new LTE-compatible AT$T SIM cards on ST.

Old
(Last edited by 70634; 17th August 2014 at 02:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up just used these apn settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughmouth View Post
So i just got an S5 through Swappa at a great price(540.00) and bought an Straight talk sim (6.99). it took all of a 30 min to port my current Straight talk phone number to my new phone. I get LTE and MMS is working. I would definitely recommend this process to anyone. now we just need root.

This is my Apn settings - Thanks goes out to excaliber88

Name- Straight Talk AT&T (Can be anything you want)
APN- tfdata
Proxy- Not Set
Port- 80
Username- Not set
Password- Not set
MMSC- http : // mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy- 66.209.11.33
MMS Port- 80
MCC- 310
MNC- 410
Authentication Type- PAP
APN type- default,supl,mms
I just used these settings for at&t s5 on straight talk 8/16/14 and I get 4g lte with a locked phone everything works just fine